Would you kill someone if you knew you would never get caught?

Road Runner

The Dan Patrick Show had this poll on his show/site for a while this morning before the network made them take it down.  But before it was pulled, a whopping 50% of the people responding said they WOULD kill someone if they were sure they would never get caught.  Maybe they were joking.  I hope so.

Is civilization really this fragile, that the mere lack of consequences would result in so many of us committing murder and probably much worse? 

Is civilization really this fragile, that the mere lack of consequences would result in so many of us committing murder and probably much worse? 

It seems that way sometimes.

You are probably right, but I would have thought that the mere idea of killing someone would have been rejected, at least on principle, by a vast majority of people.

I wish I could say that I believed a vast majority of people would reject the idea as well, but I am not surprised at all that so many do not.

Signs of the times...

Yes, unless you go to India or Africa where the populations are exploding.  Then the bag limit is three.

My boss came in and did his usual "need anything?" the other day and I said "Yeah, an AK and a couple of clips..." He thought about it for a second and then said "I get it first..."

The code of conduct changes once there is no accountability. The risk of consequences serves to keep people from acting on their initial impulses, and once that risk is gone, behaviour tends to change. I'm not sure if this shows a flaw in civilization and individual character, or if it is cause for celebration because a good justice system is in place to maintain law and order.

I do not like to kill anything, except maybe flies and mosquitoes and cock roaches.  Come at me dressed as cock roach and I just might take you out.

Oh, and we had some pantry flies get into the house in the critter food.  I love to kill those fargin' bastiges!  I ordered some sticky glue traps with pheremone baits and they did a darn good job of attracting and trapping the adults.  Now have to do a thorough clean of the area, but I fear as long as we have to keep guinea pig food and hay around, we might have these guys as well.

First of all, God would catch me.  At least, in my faith-based belief system.  So "not getting caught" is an empirical impossibility as, God is omniscient and omnipresent.

Secondly, death isn't a punishment I'd like to hand out.  If given the ability to punish, I think I'd like the ability to make someone (no matter how sociopathic/psychopathic) feel guilt to its extreme for whatever wrong it is they have done.  With enough guilt, someone would desire on their own to rectify their own wrongs.  Guilt would be a far worse, but also far more just, punishment than death.

No, but I am going to toss out a scenario.  Someone were to come into my home with intention to hurt me or my family, things will not go well for them.  

I think most would kill to defend their family or self.  I suspect though that the OP is postulating more in the "would you if you could" outside of self defense.

I ask the question then:  If you were presented with an offer to take someone out for 5 million aka hitman and your skills were good enough to guarantee that you would never be implicated, would you take the job, think about taking the job or reject it out of hand because of your beliefs?

I think most would kill to defend their family or self.  I suspect though that the OP is postulating more in the "would you if you could" outside of self defense.

I ask the question then:  If you were presented with an offer to take someone out for 5 million aka hitman and your skills were good enough to guarantee that you would never be implicated, would you take the job, think about taking the job or reject it out of hand because of your beliefs?

Yes and no. Your choice.

Then, No.  I could not live with the guilt.  I have no reason to kill a person.