chicken casa dillas

bikeman564™

Thanks for the smile. The smile of a memory that is.

I used to work with a guy when I was fairly young (20s). One day we were talking and found out that we both were big fans of Mexican food. I asked him what his favorite Mexican dish was. He said "ka-sa-das".

A good tamale with chili con carne is my idea of good mexican.  Quesadillas are nice every now and then.

A combo platter with a beef enchilada, a pork tamale and a crispy beef taco is hard to beat.

With some ethnic restaurants (especially ones I've eaten enough that I'm pretty familiar with the dishes), I usually have a standard food/meal I'll order the first time trying a new restaurant. It's a good way to judge for me.

So with Mexican, it's a chile relleno. Is it one of the nasty ones that no effort is put in, basically a pile of melted cheese with a few pieces of chile hanging out in the cheese, or does it have a nice form, breaded with chile shape kept in tact and maybe something extra stuffed inside other than 'just' cheese.

For Thai, it's Panang Curry. I fairly common curry dish.

If I take a fairly simple, yet one that I'm familiar with, dish, I can usually decently judge a restaurant on the first try whether they are worth trying again.

jsharr does not like chie relleno but he concedes your point and confirms its validity KT.

I judge a Mexican joint on it's crispy beef taco.  Shell must be crisp and fresh, not stale, soft, oily, greasy.

Meat should be firm, juicy and well cooked, lightly spiced.

Must have shredded lettuce and grated cheese.  Diced tomatoes are optional.

Salsa served on the side.

If my dalliance with the taco goes well, I might delve deeper into the tamales and enchiladas or maybe the carne asada.

tamales and enchiladas or maybe the carne asada.

Enchiladas are pretty mediocre to me for Mexican dishes. Mexican tamales are not that great to me.after I had Nicaraguan tamales (called nacatamales).

Carne Asada (or variations of) are the dishes I tend to flock to after I've established that the restaurant is worthy. :)

Enchiladas are pretty mediocre to me for Mexican dishes. Mexican tamales are not that great to me.after I had Nicaraguan tamales (called nacatamales).

Carne Asada (or variations of) are the dishes I tend to flock to after I've established that the restaurant is worthy. :)

One has to have an intermediary dish between the test dish (you say relleno and I say taco) before one take a huge step like carne asada.  For me, that dish is the enchilada or the tamale, or the combo platter, which give me three ways to judge their worthiness to feed me.

One has to have an intermediary dish between the test dish (you say relleno and I say taco) before one take a huge step like carne asada.  For me, that dish is the enchilada or the tamale, or the combo platter, which give me three ways to judge their worthiness to feed me.

No argument, really. Taco is likely my second level test dish. Like you, I prefer a good crispy taco.