New top speed

Square Wheels

I hit 50.8 this morning, and I held back, a lot.  Climbed (most) of a steep hill and rode down.  It was windy on the way up and I think I felt those winds on the way down.  I braked a lot.  My guess is if I tucked in more and didn't brake I easily would have hit 60+.  I think I would have been more scared to hit 60, the thing that really held me back was the wind, I was terrified of getting hit by a crosswind at 50+.

I need to lose a lot of weight.  I need to stop stuffing garbage down my pie hole.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/858684449

RK3sDDpwf2Z4S6HLxDtOODGm4Bj07JAPqbZuxSJA

• Heart 2

The difference between 50mph and 60mph is huge. 

Post the ride on Strava. I'm sure some hack made the DH a segment. 

I didn't say I would do it,  but this hill felt fast.   Fairly straight,  nice road surface,  very few cars.  I used my brakes a lot.  I might have tried for a little faster if there were no wind. 

• Heart 1

It's the tuck too.  Bring your knees and elbows in.  Get small.  

that's not the point,  I wasn't trying to go faster.   I was in the drops with one finger on each break.   I usually have my knees in, but I could have got a lot smaller.   I wasn't trying to,  I wanted to scrub some speed by catching wind and not burning up my brakes. 

• Heart 1

The difference between 50mph and 60mph is huge. 

Post the ride on Strava. I'm sure some hack made the DH a segment. 

Yes.  It's exponentially faster.  I think the faster you go, wind resistance and road resistance make it harder and harder to go faster.  At some point (not sure what speed that is) tucking is just not enough and I think you'd have to be pedaling as well.  But take what I say with a grain of salt.  I have only been up to 52.

I didn't say I would do it,  but this hill felt fast.   Fairly straight,  nice road surface,  very few cars.  I used my brakes a lot.  I might have tried for a little faster if there were no wind. 

did you walk up part of the climb? The elevation profile looks a little strange, and your average speed over the 1.8 mile segment is much slower than it was for the full climb. 

yeah, I walked up the last quarter mile.   :angry:

that explains your average speed on that segment. 

I suck at climbing now because I rarely have a chance to ride any real climbs. 

When I lived in NV every ride started with a 6.2 mile 1350ft climb. Now I need to ride about 50 miles to get that much elevation gain. 

I can't climb because I weigh 200 pounds and rarely ride.  I am stubborn and try hard.  The end kicked up even steeper and my heart rate was already nearing 180.  7 know I could not finish even though I knew I was close. 

I'm sure my weight is also part of why I don't climb as well as I did last fall. I've gained nearly 10% of my body weight since then, and none of that is muscle. 

I crashed a motorcycle at less than 40mph this spring. (got hit by a car that pulled out of a gas station) I was wearing full gear; full coverage helmet, armored jacket, steel toed boots, padded gloves, jeans. I was off work for a month, and am still going to PT for shoulder problems.

At 50MPH  the brightly colored underwear and egg carton helmet that we wear on a bicycle would be suicidal.

I've gone 50+ on a bicycle, and it IS a rush, but consider the consequences, and pick the location carefully.

Sorry for the soapbox speech. 

• Heart 3

I crashed a motorcycle at less than 40mph this spring. (got hit by a car that pulled out of a gas station) I was wearing full gear; full coverage helmet, armored jacket, steel toed boots, padded gloves, jeans. I was off work for a month, and am still going to PT for shoulder problems.

At 50MPH  the brightly colored underwear and egg carton helmet that we wear on a bicycle would be suicidal.

I've gone 50+ on a bicycle, and it IS a rush, but consider the consequences, and pick the location carefully.

Well said.  

Sorry for the soapbox speech. 

Thanks for your input. 

I agree with most of what you said. 

Suicide is a bit of a stretch though. 

It's okay to be scared.  It's nature's way of telling us, "It ain't worth it, dumbass!"

Over the years, I have quit worrying about distance and speed.  Finishing my ride in one piece AND at home instead of the hospital is victory enough for me.

Meh, pain is fear leaving the body. ;)

• 8 months later...