So who is your state's patron saint of music?

Ralphie

On 11/23/2013 at 5:05 PM, jsharr said:

Willie Nelson or Bob Wills or Jerry Jeff Walker or ZZ Top or Stevie Ray Vaughan or Buddy Holly.

Or Roy Orbison.  Shit this it Texas, how can you expect one man, woman or band to be our patron saint?  

I mean look at this list!

https://www.centraltrack.com/100-to-81/

• Awesome 1

40 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Not much, except the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME!!!  Suck on that, savages!  No place on earth but the Paris of Ohio was a fitting place for the R'nR hall.

Btw, the RR hall of fame is not all that cool.

Don't forget Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods are from Ohio.

14 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Don't forget Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods are from Ohio.

Actually, there are oodles of well-known musicians either from Ohio or have gotten their starts there.  My favorite is Devo, of course, and they are from and started in Ohio.  NIN formed in Ohio, then a bunch more.  Then there is Chrissie Hynde, Doris Day, Dean Martin, Marilyn Manson, Dazz band, Isley Brothers, and even the Ohio Players.  I am skipping a bunch, but Ohio is the home of bunches of presidents and bunches of bands.  You need to do something to get you out of Ohio, you see.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Steve Miller band stated in San Francisco but Steve Miller is from Milwaukee. 

Wisconsin also had a few others 

And the wizard of Waukesha 

The Violent Femmes

And from my home town The Chordettes. 

• Awesome 1

George Winston (born 1949) is an American pianist who was born in Michigan and grew up mainly in Montana (Miles City and Billings), as well as Mississippi and Florida. He is best known for his solo piano recordings; several of his albums from the early 1980s have sold millions of copies each.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I guess the patron saint in Maryland is Francis Scott Key, who wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" about the Battle of Baltimore.

My favorite Maryland singer/songwriter is Vonda Shepard, whose "Searchin' My Soul" was the theme song of the Ally McBeal TV show and she appeared as a lounge singer in many episodes. She also wrote a song called, "Maryland."

Tony Braxton is from here - she went to the high school where I taught but she was never my student. She was thrown out of the Peabody Institute's (John's Hopkins' world-class Music College - basically Juliard Junior) prep program (I wasn't!) because she would NOT study and learn to sing directly from sheet music.

Quite a few from Florida. Tom Petty was from Gainesville. Gloria Estefan, technically born in Havana, Cuba but emigrated and developed in Miami. Staying with Miami, Harry Kaysee of KC and the Sunshine Band. My wife actually dated him when the were in high school. Where do you think he got the inspiration for "Shake Your Bootie". ?

I was born in Jacksonville and the standout there would be the various bands involving the Van Zant family, notable Lynyrd Skynyrd and 38 Special

Adolescence in Winter Haven and the two most notable are Jim Stafford, Gram Parsons (the Byrds), Bobby Braddock, and Kent LaVoie (Lobo) all played together in high school about 7 years before me.  In my high school class, both Jim Allchin and myself played 1st trumpet in band but guitar was his favorite as he played in some bars he wasn't old enough to be in. He went on to become part of the inner circle at Microsoft before retiring in 2011 following cancer and going back to music and has released several albums. It is weird looking at YouTube and seeing a mixture of him being a keynote speaker at technology conferences and then the musical side with the albums released.

This is funny when you consider his net worth as he retired from Microsoft.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Wilburger said:

I would love to say Oscar Peterson but he was born, raised and musically developed in Montreal. 

So, Rush, hands down. Toronto boys to this day. 

I would go with Guess Who, from Winnipeg.  Major points for the name. :D  
Oops, I guess I was thinking of Canada as the 51st state.  :whistle:Never mind!  

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 9:19 PM, Longjohn said:

His family had the Reznor company in Mercer. Made Reznor heaters that are used all over the country. They sold the company and the new owners are not so good, they built a plant in Mexico. They had a lot of problems with the Mexico plant but I haven’t talked to anyone from the Mercer plant since I Retired.

I'm watching Song Exploder with him aboot Hurt so when he said he was from rural PA I wondered where then came back to this, which of course with my stellar memory I had totally forgotten aboot.

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I'm watching Song Exploder with him aboot Hurt so when he said he was from rural PA I wondered where then came back to this, which of course with my stellar memory I had totally forgotten aboot.

I always associated NIN with Cleveland, tbh. This area has The Clarks,m and Donnie Iris! Mack Miller died. :(
Cannonsburg has Pery Como, Bobby Vinton and Wiz Kalifa. Christina Aguilera is from Butler area, I think. 

• Thank You 1

We have Toni Braxton, who attended the high school at which I taught.

We have Tori Amos, who studied at the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins U, where I later was in the Adult Program, and where she was tossed out because she didn't learn to read sheet music well enough.

More famous were Frank Zappa and Mama Cass Elliott.

The greatest true musician who lived here most of his life was the great pianist Leon Fleisher, who played classical piano and won major international competitions, conducted orchestras, won Emmy Awards, and has all kinds of accolades.  He was a piano professor at Julliard in NYC and mainly at Peabody in Baltimore, where he lived and taught at Peabody from 1959 until his death in 2020.

I had the honor of being taught briefly by him one day.  My teacher, the late virtuosa Frances Cheng-Koors, had been one of Fleisher's students and he stopped in to see her while I had a lesson with her.  He asked me what I was playing, listened to me play a piece by Schumann, played on the piano's lower keys to show me how to play it better, and said of one passage, "Don't try to play it so clean: make it sound like a pig slopping in the mud."  He meant not to play each quarter and eighth note in perfect time, but to run them together, borrowing time from some notes to stretch others out, the music term for doing that is called "rubato."  You're allowed to do that for music written from 1832 on in the Romantic Era (Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, Schumann, etc.) and Modern Era, but not in the earlier Classical and Baroque Eras.

Frances later said that he, a child prodigy, was touring America since before he was around 5 years old and had little schooling and was as dumb as an ox about the world as could be.  But he was a great pianist.