For all the bike mechanics on here (Are there any?)

FlippersForFeet

You need an answer in the cafeteria for a problem like this and you start with an insult?

Perhaps I shouldn't tell you then that the pivot bushing is non replaceable and that you will need to buy another pair because they aren't sold individually.

Funny, they sell them and they arrive on saturday in the mail :-)

• Heart 2

Funny, they sell them and they arrive on saturday in the mail :-)

Well good luck then.

That's the knock on the in the mechanics forums.  They're weight weenie light, expensive and hard if not impossible to repair.  Strange really because I like most of TRP's stuff.

Edited by maddmaxx
  • Heart 1

Ask Paige.  That gal knows a lot of bike mechanic stuff.

...never done one of those, but if it's titanium, and bushed, It's bushed with a different sort of metal, and that bushing is prolly in there pretttttty solid from galvanic corrosion.  So if it was me (which it ain't, thankfully) I'd soak the sucker in 50/50 atf-acetone for a day or so, then if I didn't have a press, I'd prolly bash it out with a drift or a suitable pin  punch and @Pokey''s hammer.  the new one usually goes in OK with some grease, a couple of pull washers and a nutted bolt of the appropriate size.

But I think there's a good chance that the word about them being disposable is prolly because there's a good chance of fubar in the removal process.  #justguessing

The approved removal process undoubtedly involves some sort of hydraulic press (a lot of people have cheap ones now, thanks to Harbor Freight), and an appropriate diameter socket or two.

(You use one a skosh smaller than the diameter that the bushing measures as the pusher, and a larger one on the bottom for the negative space to receive it.)

...never done one of those, but if it's titanium, and bushed, It's bushed with a different sort of metal, and that bushing is prolly in there pretttttty solid from galvanic corrosion.  So if it was me (which it ain't, thankfully) I'd soak the sucker in 50/50 atf-acetone for a day or so, then if I didn't have a press, I'd prolly bash it out with a drift or a suitable pin  punch and @Pokey''s hammer.  the new one usually goes in OK with some grease, a couple of pull washers and a nutted bolt of the appropriate size.

But I think there's a good chance that the word about them being disposable is prolly because there's a good chance of fubar in the removal process.  #justguessing

The approved removal process undoubtedly involves some sort of hydraulic press (a lot of people have cheap ones now, thanks to Harbor Freight), and an appropriate diameter socket or two.

(You use one a skosh smaller than the diameter that the bushing measures as the pusher, and a larger one on the bottom for the negative space to receive it.)

^^^ All Greek

...you probly already know this, but if you use the acetone/atf stuff, it will eat most plastics and some rubber, so the shoes and any other plastic parts need to be off first.  If you don't want to invest in a whole can of acetone, and have it laying around forever, the next best penetrant is Freeze-Off. (I work on a lot of ancient stuff that's been rode hard and put away wet.)

Depending on the finish on that titanium, sometimes you can heat it enough with a propane torch to get it to expand to the point where it breaks the corrosive bond between the bushing and the brake.

But then you increase your fubar potential, so be careful. Fortunately, it's already broke, so you can't really hurt it. :)

Especially that "skoosh" part..

...100 % not gay.