August 23

TrentonMakes

56.5 miles, 14.7 mph, 2700 climbing feet.

This was my third 56-mile ride this year - the third time this year I finished 7 miles short of 63 which would be a new one-day record.  Nothing left in the tank - though I expect that's all mental.  Good ride though - no regrets.

• Heart 2

56.5 miles, 14.7 mph, 2700 climbing feet.

This was my third 56-mile ride this year - the third time this year I finished 7 miles short of 63 which would be a new one-day record.  Nothing left in the tank - though I expect that's all mental.  Good ride though - no regrets.

Did you really have nothing left?  I bet you could have gone further, a lot further.   If you are shooting for 63, do it this weekend.  I play games with myself when I am trying to run or ride further.  If I were trying to get to 63, I'd tell myself I was going on a 75 mile ride.  Then when I was done with 25, I'd say I was a third done.  Then at 37.5 I'd feel a sense of accomplishment at hitting the halfway mark.  Then at 50 I'd start to see an end in site, only 25 to go!  My brain really believes I have that far.  Then bam, 63 is there before you know it and instead of feeling spent, you feel like you could have gone those extra miles and made it to 75.

Now, when I do centuries I think of @az_cyclist and the crazy miles he can ride.  200 miles seems like nothing to him.  When I try to do 100, I think of how hard 200 would be, and those 100 go by a lot smoother.

Try 63 this weekend.

Did you really have nothing left?  I bet you could have gone further, a lot further.  

I suspect you are right - that's why I mentioned the "mental" part.  Once my legs really start feeling it, and I get back into our area, the pull toward home gets almost too strong to resist.  I didn't ride at all since last Sunday - I know a full week off the bike didn't help.

Of course it would be a lot easier to reach 63 if I didn't insist on climbing all these hills all the time.