So the summer is just about over. How goes it in achieving your cycling goals for the year?

Road Runner

Slow!  I dallied most of it with no tires on the road bike, and riding the new MTB on the road is a loser!  Today I had my first decent road ride in ages, and man, was it nice. :)  Perfect weather.  I did have some very nice trail rides too, so it wasn't a total loss, but basically I traded sitting on the patio and reading for riding.  I am hoping that my riding mojo is back for fall.  Those back roads are gorgeous!  Barely a car on them today. :)

Oh, and I also achieved my #1 goal of not dying or getting injured.

Edited by The Inedible Bulk
  • Heart 4

I am behind where I wanted to be.  A late hockey season knee injury kept my miles pretty short at the start of the summer and WoZeph started biking more and more this year so I chose to ride shorter distances just to ride with her as she prepped for her first metric century.  (It killed my average speeds too.)

• Heart 1

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, twas the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insist on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

• Heart 1

Not a good year for me at least. It always goes the same way of late in that I have a heart attack while cycling and I then after this I try to regain my fitness (not much chance of this) then I have another heart attack while cycling and try to regain my fitness and so on.........it's depressing.

A lesser person would have given up by now and just while away the time sitting by the fire with a tartan rug over their knees but luckily I'm made of sterner stuff. My cunning plan is to buy yet another bike in the hope that this will by some magical means restore my knackered knees and dodgy heart. I have to report that this hasn't worked as yet but I remain hopeful.

• Heart 4

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, twas the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insist on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

That was some excellent authentic Dickensian gibberish!

• Heart 1

I always ride more during the winter of course that means 70 degrees in AZ. 

I have less work around the house to do in the fall/winter and so have more time. That was a big factor in buying the fatbike - I bought new XC skis and we didn't get enough snow, so I said "screw it" and bought the Mukluk. Of course then we got dumped on, but I was OK with that, because, either way, I've got it covered!

At some point this season I figured I'd shoot for 1500 miles*.  I have a little more than 500 to go - still plenty doable.  Regardless, I rode a lot, had fun and lost weight.

When I got back on the bike last year I set a goal to ride the 60 miles to my parents' house.  That hasn't happened yet - weather permitting I might still get that ride in.  That 60 is a lot flatter than the 65 I just put in so I'm more confident.  Still, a wind from the south could make that a nasty ride.

* I had it in my head that 1500 was about the most I ever rode in a year - but I don't really have a record of that and I can't imagine I ever rode as much as I have this year.

• Heart 1

I'm doing alright with the cycling goals. I've clocked 2200 miles on Strava and that is missing a couple hundred miles, so I'm over my goal of 2000 miles. About 350-400 miles of mountain biking and the rest road riding. I've gotten a bit faster than last year too, so that is a bonus. 

Next year's goal is 2500 road miles and 500 mountain bike miles.

• Heart 2