SW the pig was right!!!

petitepedal

I just returned with 2 gaskets...hope they are the right size...but then they were $0.89 so no big deal...I just need to decide when I want to do this...I am thinking about a short nap before I hit the next session of cleaning...I am moving furniture and wiping off the woodwork..spot cleaning the carpet and killing any dust bunnies I find.

Thanks Wilbur !

Edited by petitepedal

Posted this in a different thread but thought it might be helpful, especially if by any chance the gaskets don't solve the problem...  

I had a problem one time with the PVC drain pipe under my kitchen sink.  I tightened and replaced gaskets, but it still leaked.  Turned out that the cheap PVC pipe had distorted at the connection area over time, I suppose it was due to boiling water and such being poured down the sink.  I ended up replacing the all the PVC drain pieces up to the wall connection.  No more problems.  Now I refrain from pouring boiling water down my sink.  

• Heart 1

Here you go petite.  The gasket is shown in the photo.  As you tighten the joint, the compression of the gasket makes it seal tighter against the downpipe.  Threaded parts are not to be cemented in ABS.  You need to be able to take the trap apart.

0068296_M.jpg

I should add that the pipes should be aligned well.  Poorly aligned pipes will leak.

Edited by Wilbur

That's not a trap!  I was trapped!

This is the type of trap I thought you were talking about.  They may have a gasket, but typically they don't.

Anyhow, glad the pig was able to help.

trap.thumb.jpg.d8b4d90c2048e2a57ba963d71

Poor mans plumbing!  :)

The piece I showed just was to visualize the seal in place.  That actual piece connect the drain pipe to an ABS trap.  

Easy peasy.  The straight tube of ABS and the steel downpipe don't look like they are aligned.  If you loosend the top ring nut and pushed the trap up a little, the alignment will be better ( maybe 3/4 inch or so).

More often than not though, the swivel connection in the trap is off kilter and may need to be reset..  Loosen the vertical ring, undo and reset the swivel joint then tighten the vertical ring nut.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Heart 1