PLUMBING SUCKS

petitepedal

Petite - There is noting easier in the world of plumbing than a plastic P-trap under the single bowl bathroom vanity.  And for the record, no one ever accomplishing anything without 2 trips to the hardware store.  That needs to be accounted for on all DIY projects. At least one cut on your fingers or hand, a lost tool needed to complete the project and 2 trips to the hardware store - book-it.

• Like 3

Hey Petite...I just saw the photo in the other thread. The tailpiece coming from the sink looks to be an 1.25" going into an 1.5" trap. Did you get the 1.25" to 1.5" adapter gasket? It's a dual fit gasket that is made for bathroom lavatories. That may be your issue. Also, make sure the threads on all fittings are clean with no crud or mineral build-up.

Edited by Pokey

Got the correct gasket (that was the 3rd trip)...it is leaking at the second ring that you hand tighten....the 1.5 one....I have no clue if it is just a little off or what....I just might wait for a man now...heck I had to track one down to get the pipe dope cans open...and that guy was putting work into it to open them... should have taken that as a sign.

Got the correct gasket (that was the 3rd trip)...it is leaking at the second ring that you hand tighten....the 1.5 one....I have no clue if it is just a little off or what....I just might wait for a man now...heck I had to track one down to get the pipe dope cans open...and that guy was putting work into it to open them... should have taken that as a sign.

OK now I have to ask, why did you need pipe dope for a P-trap?  If it's leaking at the middle nut you should loosen it and maybe try retighten it first.  Maybe it needs to be hand tightened by slightly stronger hands that yours.  Maybe it needs a 'slight' bit of tightening with a wrench.  Remember if you snap that nut it costs 95 cents to replace it.  P-traps are not installed with pipe dope.

Hey..Chris...that is a kitchen sink...I am talking a bathroom (or in this case just a vanity sink in my bedroom)...

Oh and remember...I did successfully install a new disposal..

Then in that case it should require less duct tape.  Remember, that's what Red Green would use.

Actually I have a stand pipe behind the washing machine that the rubber drain hose hooks in to.  The pipe out of the floor is galvanized and the stand pipe is 2' PVC.  There is a PVC fitting that's glued to the PVC pipe and threaded onto the galvanized.  Someone (maybe me) cracked the fitting ever so slightly where it threads on to the galvanized.  Just enough to allow a bit of moisture out sometimes when the washing machine drains.  Duct tape did the trick.