I'm beginning to get pissed off

SuzieQ

One of my competing studios copies everything I do.  It has become really annoying.  I work hard to come up with marketing stuff and ways to engage students etc.  I seriously don't know how to handle it. Do I continue to ignore, because obviously I cannot control it, there is no patent on what I do.  Or should I go burn her studio down? 

One of my competing studios copies everything I do.  It has become really annoying.  I work hard to come up with marketing stuff and ways to engage students etc.  I seriously don't know how to handle it. Do I continue to ignore, because obviously I cannot control it, there is no patent on what I do.  Or should I go burn her studio down? 

Just keep raising the bar until she can't reach your level. If she's a copier, and not a creator, that line probably exists.

• Heart 2

You may be able to copy-write things, but you'd still have to pay a lawyer money to fight them.

How about spreading some misinformation? Create something really stupid and let a double-agent spy give it up to the other studios so that they can beat you to the punch - but it will backfire on them.

• Heart 1

It is said by some that Burger King has the greatest expansion plans in the history of burgers.  McDonalds hires thousands of analysts to scour the planet, analyze the demographics, secure locations and put up stores.  When completed, Burger King puts one up across the street.

IF they won't stop at least stop by and let them know that you are honored that they copy all your efforts.  At a minimum try to embarrass them. 

Most likely confronting them won't  accomplish anything and will just get you upset - unless they're copying copyrightable material.  Do you think any of your employees are sharing your confidential info or do they just see the sort of things your studio is doing and then do the same sort of things such as the same kinds of classes or workshops?

Ultimately, I suspect your success depends more on the quality and personality of your teachers and the amosphere of your studio, which is the sort of thing they can't copy no matter how much they try.   But it's a shame you have to deal with this sort of nonsense and petty behavior.

Just keep raising the bar until she can't reach your level. If she's a copier, and not a creator, that line probably exists.

...this, I think.  If your own background and teaching are excellent, it eventually gets around.  At least that's how it used to be.

There was a studio down in Palo Alto when I was long distance relationshiping with my wife from here in Sacramento that was packed every time we went in, because Larry and Catherine were both well qualified and enthusiastic teachers.  Also, Catherine had a wonderful set of hooters, and used to wear these deep scooped neckline leotards, which probably didn't hurt in drawing in the male students. :)

If it's anything like here, the biggest untapped demographic for yoga at this time is men.