Have you ever seen signs that (in another language) just don't translate?

LoneWolf

Not the same thing, but brought this to mind.

The first time I drove in Puerto Rico, I kept seeing signs with an arrow for a place called "Salida".  I couldn't understand how so many roads could all lead to the same place.  Found out later that "Salida" is spanish for "Exit".    :D

I ran into some issues driving in Curaçao. The signs were all in several languages. There was Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Papiamento, and finally at the bottom, English. By the time you get down to something you understand, the sign is long gone.

• Heart 1

Not the same thing, but brought this to mind.

The first time I drove in Puerto Rico, I kept seeing signs with an arrow for a place called "Salida".  I couldn't understand how so many roads could all lead to the same place.  Found out later that "Salida" is spanish for "Exit".    :D

In Germany: Ausfhart. Or something along that spelling. I giggled every time.

• Heart 1

I've been to Europe several times, but the only place I ever rented a car was on one of the Greek islands. I kept telling my wife, I hope those signs aren't important, cause they're all Greek to me.

Fortunately, the roads were not heavily traveled,and I don't think the locals paid much heed to the signs either, whatever they meant.