Report: NFL investigating Steelers assistant in assault of Patriots fan

Former member

Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Headshots

The NFL is investigating an allegation that a Steelers assistant coach assaulted a Patriots fan at halftime of Thursday night’s game.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the NFL’s security department is investigating Steelers tight ends coach James Daniel for “allegedly assaulting and verbally accosting” a fan while Daniel was on his way to the Steelers’ locker room. A Steelers spokesman said the team is also investigating the accusation.

The allegation says that Daniel kicked the fan in the back of the leg and yelled at him. There were witnesses, according to the report. The report also says that Daniel was approached by police about the matter, and that Daniel then began shouting at a police officer.

The 62-year-old Daniel is in his 12th season on the Steelers’ staff and has more than 20 years of NFL coaching experience, having also spent time with the Giants and Falcons.

STEELERS STATEMENT ON COACH INCIDENT

Steelers president Art Rooney II on the alleged fan violence incident with TE coach James Daniel: "We have conducted an internal inquiry into the alleged incident involving [Daniel] at the Patriots stadium Thursday night. After interviews with Coach Daniel as well as other personnel who witnessed the alleged encounter, we find no corroboration that Coach Daniel was involved in any physical altercation with a fan."

I'm sure of it, but that doesn't mean the coach didn't kick the fan. 

I'd love to see all that went into the Steelers' internal investigation. 

Asshole fans deserved to get kicked and we deserve to have an end to their bs while drunk and disorderly.  How do I know about the drunk and disorderly.........just an educated guess.

• Heart 1

I'm old school.  I'd be happy to look the other way and not see the "battery".  Are you getting my point yet.  I don't care about the legalese.  I think we have become too civilized and that some people take advantage of it.

Yeah, and there's the possibility that the coach was assaulted & took care of it old school. 

We had a fan here fall over the railing while running down the stairs to scream shit  at A-Rod. Dipshit.

I'm old school.  I'd be happy to look the other way and not see the "battery".  Are you getting my point yet.  I don't care about the legalese.  I think we have become too civilized and that some people take advantage of it.

There's nothing in the report about a fan instigating anything, and that's all we have to go by at this point.