We've been watching or son's dogs for a few weeks

team scooter

Dana is a Sheltie and Zoey is a border collie. Dana is a sweetheart, but Zoey has some real dominance issues. After attempting and failing to take over the alpha roles from my wife and I, she set her sights on poor lovable Scooter. I think part of it is her herding instinct. She is twice the size of Scoot and tries to block his path as he walks around the house, blocks his access to his food bowl, etc. Constantly getting in his face. At first Scooter was turning the other cheek. But not anymore. They've had a few throw downs, but nothing we couldn't break up quickly. Today Zoey was laying at my wife's feet when Scoot walked by. Then all hell broke loose. Zoey attacked Scoot and It took both my wife and I to break them up. Zoey is limping and licking her leg, Scooter fared much better. I guess Scoot has no plans to give up his position on the totem pole either. We have another week of trying to keep these two separated. :(

zoey 003.JPG

Border Collies can often be big dicks to other dogs.  20 years ago I had a woman that lived downstairs from me that had a pitbull that was pretty kick-back, and I had a roommate with a overly dominant border collie.  That pit bull turned the other cheek soooo many times before it had had enough, and absolutely shredded the border collie, who needed over 100 stitches.  Amazingly, the injuries other than the tearing of the skin were very minor, lucky thing for the border collie.

• Heart 1

She does have an innocent looking baby face.<_< 

Our son researched different breeds and chose a border collie because they were strong willed and smart. Good traits if you need a herding dog, not so much for a family house dog that you might drop off at your parents house. He did mention he was beginning to notice some aggression issues with her lately. I think she is just a high energy working dog that needs a job to keep her busy.

Dana their other dog, has some herding instinct going on too. But she gave that up quickly when she found the poodles are really little wolves in sheep's clothing.;)

When our DIL was having some health issues they trained Dana (below), as a service dog.

dana 002.JPG

• Heart 1