Fucking bosses

goldendesign

So I'll add to the post count here with a gripe.

I have a customer who in the last month had me make a 4000 custom ring and ordered a 900 wedding band for himself. Needless to say a good customer now.

He comes to me on Saturday, week ago, saying he needs a big sapphire pendant by the 10th for a birthday. I say sure what's your budget and we better get moving if I'm supposed to make that happen after the holiday. His budget is 7k.

I go to my owner and tell him what I am making happen. I also say I want a special commission on this above my small percentage of the store. He's my customer, my dentist IRL, s and I can do it without the store so why not? He says sure he'd give me 8% plus the usual commission for the store take. But I need this guy to write us a check so it doesn't go under the franchise, no franchisee fee, and no credit processing. 

Comes to the day and the guy forgets a check. It's the woman's birthday that day so what am I gonna say? No? Of course I ring it up via discover card.

Now the Man says I either get the money from my customer for the credit card processing or I lose 3% of my commission. Fuck is that? 

Sorry to say, unfortunately it sounds as if the boss is holding you to the terms you agreed to. 

My suggestion would be next time tell this customer right up front "If you pay by check or cash, you get $___ discount.  If you pay by credit card then the store regretfully cannot offer the discount."  Then set the prices up that so matter what method he uses you will still get your 3% commission.  If the customer forgets the check you've already set the expectation he pays the higher price, so the customer should have no complaints.

Start doing this with other customers as well and you'll set yourself up to always preserve your commission.  Your customers will appreciate the opportunity to save some money, and your boss will appreciate the extra business and the satisfied customers.

• Heart 2

Once again TK is the master of seeing the reality of the situation.

I can't go back to the customer over this, I end up eating it. I never defined terms directly to the customer so to them one payment form is just as good as the either even though I specifically asked for check. He spent too much money to get petty about a few hundred dollars. Owner and myself defined the terms of the additional commission and they weren't fulfilled.

Just grinds my gears.