New Policy

Square Wheels

This is absolutely brilliant, SW.  This gives you all the ammunition you need to ban the bad bean(s) here.

Thanks, but it wasn't my idea.  If it works well, I'll let people know who suggested it.  If it's a flop I will take credit for it.

I would like a separation from Jerry Garcia.  

Already banned.

Finally, I need a separation from SW, he's way to overbearing

Good point.  Mods and admins cannot be placed in time out.  Sorry, you're stuck with me.

Time Out by itself has limited power to affect changes in pro-social behavior.  Recent research suggests that isolating offenders may have the opposite effect; reinforcing socially unacceptable behavior in the absence of appropriate models, reinforcement for cooperation, and direct guidance in the event of error.

• Heart 1

Time Out by itself has limited power to affect changes in pro-social behavior.  Recent research suggests that isolating offenders may have the opposite effect; reinforcing socially unacceptable behavior in the absence of appropriate models, reinforcement for cooperation, and direct guidance in the event of error.

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to roadsue for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely forumites were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic teacher gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

[forumites murmur and nod in approval]

Edited by The Inedible Bulk
  • Heart 1

I have no idea what she said but I completely agree.

• Heart 1

Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to roadsue for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely forumites were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic teacher gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

[forumites murmur and nod in approval]

That's prison reform gibberish. Solitary confinement doesn't work.

Hmm, I don't think the policy is meant to change or shape social behavior on a broad scale, but can function to curtail someone if they just can't help themselves when they feel like being a butthead to someone else in this particular corner of the internet,.  Very narrow scope.

People have to want to change, or it doesn't happen.

My children would argue, and I'd tell them "Stop arguing, work it out, or I will put you each in a corner.  Either way, I don't have to hear you argue. You decide whether to settle your differences quietly or stand in the corner and think about it."  Sometimes they chose to work it out, sometimes they stood in the corner. 

In the end, I don't care if putting Forumites in 'time out' or 'solitary' creates a change in their behavior or not.  I don't expect that at their age (notice I didn't say adult), the people arguing will change.

I do like the policy because it creates a more positive atmosphere here.  I see that as the aim of the policy.

If the people eventually change, then fine.  Praise for their insight.  If not, the effects of the policy are the same in creating a better Forum in that we do not have to suffer with their immaturity.

My children would argue, and I'd tell them "Stop arguing, work it out, or I will put you each in a corner.  Either way, I don't have to hear you argue. You decide whether to settle your differences quietly or stand in the corner and think about it."  Sometimes they chose to work it out, sometimes they stood in the corner. 

In the end, I don't care if putting Forumites in 'time out' or 'solitary' creates a change in their behavior or not.  I don't expect that at their age (notice I didn't say adult), the people arguing will change.

I do like the policy because it creates a more positive atmosphere here.  I see that as the aim of the policy.

If the people eventually change, then fine.  Praise for their insight.  If not, the effects of the policy are the same in creating a better Forum in that we do not have to suffer with their immaturity.

But immaturity is our stock in trade!

• Heart 1

So I lurk from time to time and notice a common thread and it is one person that causes issues like this to arise.

This person, lets call him "Tom", is consistently stirring the pot, whether they know it or not.  Tom reacts if confronted, and in turn others react and it goes on and on.  Tom has done this here and on the LF (banned from) and is the reason I have removed myself from both as well.  I feel Tom may be very smart, but can't seem to have a discussion, heated or not, without name calling.  Some name calling is done in jest, but Tom takes it to an another level.  Even the few who say they "like" Tom have even commented on his behavior and he doesn't seem to take the hint. 

I have spoken to quite a few who post here, some of whom have left, and they all feel the same...this one person is ruining this forum for the remaining folks here.

So how does this get resolved before the last person to leave turns the lights off?

#peace

• Heart 2

Starting today we will offer and enforce a Separation Time Out Policy.  This is in addition to our Guidelines.

The policy can be found here.

I think every gen pop forum needs a little control of members relative to offensive or harassment posts.  This is a well thought out solution.  I for one like it.