Bosox, UB, or anyone that actually works on bikes...a question please

Parr8hed

So my rear shifting is sorta jacked.  I feel like it is an adjustment issue as opposed to an equipment wearing out issue.  I could be wrong though.  New chain, older cassette but I don't feel like it is worn yet.  9 spd 105.  

I can get it to shift to a bigger gear fine.  When riding and shifting down to a smaller gear it wants to hang on the larger gear that it's already in.  I can shift down 2 gears then back up one gear and it will usually stick in the gear I wanted initially.  I feel like it needs less tension on the cable but the barrel adjuster is already all of the way in and there is little to no tension on the cable from the frame to the RD.  Does this mean I may need a spacer in-between the cassette and the hub body?  It seems like I can make minute adjustments to the barrel adjuster and get it right for one ride, but one ride only.  Next time I take it out, same old problems.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How long has it been since you gave it a really good cleaning and lube on the derailleur? it could also be cable drag. Are there any kinks or frayed spots on the cable or kinks in the housing? Try working some lube into the cable housings at all of the places it opens up, then work the cable back and forth. The return spring on the derailleur my also be giving up, depending on how old it is and how many miles you have on it. Check the jockey wheels as well, but they will usually give you trouble going to the bigger gears before the little ones become an issue.

I had similar shifting problems after replacing a chain, 105.  Tinkered and tinkered and tinkered with the adjustments, then bought a new cassette and the problems cleared up.  Ended up the cassette was more worn than it looked.

This is where I'm at.  I replaced a chain and RD cable at the same time.  It's been a few hundred miles since and I have not been able to get it dialed in.  It shifts great on the stand.  It has some issues at times shifting cleanly when I riding.  When I'm out of the saddle the chain might skip (not fun).  I have not been able to peg it to specific gears but it appears to be only on the middle of the cassette.  The teeth look good but....  I have a brand new 105 cassette and new KMC chain on my desk that just showed up from Performance this morning.  I am hoping the problems clear up just as they did for TK.

• Heart 1