Need a ruling

Indy

Need a ruling  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Redneck status intact?

• Turn in your card you anti-American nut job
    • It's huge, 4 wheel drive, can crush a Prius and tow a double wide. Card is in tact.

The assistant mechanic at the auto repair shop near us uses his to tour the neighborhood before work, picking up scrap metal to make some cash on the side.

Did he go by while I was getting gas this morning? I heard a noise and looked up to see someone going up the road with one POS on the flatbed and another minivan towed behind.....leaving a shower of sparks all the way down the road.

• Heart 1

That depends. Are you going to tow with it? If thats the case wait for the new Nissan Titan to come out with the Cummins.

Nothing says man card more then a diesel.;)

Yes, it's a tow vehicle first, daily driver second.  Diesel, yeah it screams redneck, but also screams no money sense as when you factor in the higher purchase price, the higher fuel cost, and the higher maintenance cost, if you are not towing pretty much 100% of the time with it, they suck.

I am still an engineer, over analysis is expected.  I actually like the current Nissan Titan, only truck in a quad cab that will still fit in my garage, but damn is that one thirsty truck.  If the MPG was even close to competition it would be my choice as it's the easiest to live with from a practical standpoint.

Tundra has 70% American made parts

F-150 has 75% American made parts

Can't find % for 2014, but the F150 was #1 and Tundra was #5 on the American Made Index last year

Ford destroyed the F150 with their ecco-boost nonsense.  My father has a F150 with the 5.0, will it tow stuff, sure; does it do it well, it's last on my list for full sizes for a reason despite liking the looks and interior the best.

A 250/2500 with a gas engine, harder than hell to find on the used market.

Ford destroyed the F150 with their ecco-boost nonsense.  My father has a F150 with the 5.0, will it tow stuff, sure; does it do it well, it's last on my list for full sizes for a reason despite liking the looks and interior the best.

A 250/2500 with a gas engine, harder than hell to find on the used market.

I wouldn't say destroyed. You still can get a normal 3.5 V6 and 5.0 V8.

I have a neighbor who pulls a 5th wheel with an Eco-boost.  

I wouldn't say destroyed. You still can get a normal 3.5 V6 and 5.0 V8.

I have a neighbor who pulls a 5th wheel with an Eco-boost.  

The V6 in those are called or boost, no eco, they are a complete joke.  I've towed with the 5.0, the 5.4 did a better job but was still undersized compared to the competition but manageable.  Ram and Toyota is a 5.7L, GM you can go to a 6.2L and all have comparable fuel mileage to the Ford.  I originally started out thinking F150, but when you start looking at the numbers, I'd have to be drunk or one hell of a deal to even consider it now.

They are nice, just having trouble tracking one down with the right axle ratio, other wise the towing capacity is less than my Expedition.  5.7L Hemi rated at only 5,000 lbs towing, what's the point?

They are nice, just having trouble tracking one down with the right axle ratio, other wise the towing capacity is less than my Expedition.  5.7L Hemi rated at only 5,000 lbs towing, what's the point?

Didn't realize that.  One of my fav vehicles was a Toyota 4 runner.  Man, I love the feel of a Toyota truck, I would consider a Tundra.  For what it's worth, if you feel like your redneck card is intact driving a luxury SUV (well, close to luxury) like an Expedition, I would say nothing would change going to a Tundra.

...if you are into comparing the various car and truck makers (I am), Toyota has been producing mostly durable, relatively trouble free vehicles since before I bought my '86 Toyota longbed.

I would have bought the electric car from them, based on past experience, if they hadn't gone with a stooopid hybrid design until Nissan got a long head start.  I was taking evening certification classes in smog for California in 1986 when I bought that truck, and I got to ask a few guys who worked at various dealerships what they'd buy, all other things like employee discounts being equal.  Even the Nissan guys said buy the Toyota.

I guess things might have changed since then, but I haven't heard much if they have.

Didn't realize that.  One of my fav vehicles was a Toyota 4 runner.  Man, I love the feel of a Toyota truck, I would consider a Tundra.  For what it's worth, if you feel like your redneck card is intact driving a luxury SUV (well, close to luxury) like an Expedition, I would say nothing would change going to a Tundra.

Yeah, the Tundra is simple, if it has the 5.7L, which most do, it's setup up for around 10k lbs towing.

...if you are into comparing the various car and truck makers (I am), Toyota has been producing mostly durable, relatively trouble free vehicles since before I bought my '86 Toyota longbed.

My uncle had a circa-'78 Toyota pickup and he drove that thing forever.  The body rusted all to hell but that thing ran a long time.

A buddy is on his second consecutive Tacoma - more great trucks.

Dodge, Chrysler, Fiat, Jeep.....all at the bottom of the quality ratings. Right after that, I'd put my Silverado. Never again, GM.

...I'm old enough to remember when that's all we bought.  I bet you are too.  GM lost me with a V6 Chevy Impala that had some really creative things go wrong with it. :) In the 60's and early 70's I drove a series of beater Dodge Darts into the ground.  Those were hard to kill.

Dodge, Chrysler, Fiat, Jeep.....all at the bottom of the quality ratings. Right after that, I'd put my Silverado. Never again, GM.

Considering what I want it for, guess that pretty much leaves the Toyota as the only option since the F150 is the worst tow vehicle of the group.

Considering what I want it for, guess that pretty much leaves the Toyota as the only option since the F150 is the worst tow vehicle of the group.

How do they compare price wise with an F 150.  Any why is the F 150 the worst tow vehicle of the group?  I am pretty happy with my Expy, what makes the F 150 so much worse than the Expy?

How do they compare price wise with an F 150.  Any why is the F 150 the worst tow vehicle of the group?  I am pretty happy with my Expy, what makes the F 150 so much worse than the Expy?

Price wise, they compare really well.  Problem with the F150, hard to find one with the 3.72 rear axle which you need for towing, the other issue is I'm not sold on the 5.0L replacing the 5.4L.  My father has the 5.0 in his new F150 and is happy with it, but even towing his 16ft pontoon which is light as all can be (thing is small) he's gas mileage is worse than the Expe pulling 7,000 lbs of camper.  Basically any load at all and the engine goes to boost mode a long with transmission adjusting, just doesn't handle it as well as what the 5.4L did and that was already the smallest displacement engine being used.  And I was so close to going with a King Ranch packaged F150, I love those things, but considering towing is a major consideration, the Tundra just seems to be the best and easiest to find setup for it.

• Heart 1

Price wise, they compare really well.  Problem with the F150, hard to find one with the 3.72 rear axle which you need for towing, the other issue is I'm not sold on the 5.0L replacing the 5.4L.  My father has the 5.0 in his new F150 and is happy with it, but even towing his 16ft pontoon which is light as all can be (thing is small) he's gas mileage is worse than the Expe pulling 7,000 lbs of camper.  Basically any load at all and the engine goes to boost mode a long with transmission adjusting, just doesn't handle it as well as what the 5.4L did and that was already the smallest displacement engine being used.  And I was so close to going with a King Ranch packaged F150, I love those things, but considering towing is a major consideration, the Tundra just seems to be the best and easiest to find setup for it.

I really do love the fact that you are doing all of my research for me for my next vehicle.  We are pretty much in the same boat...I mean camper.

• Heart 1

I really do love the fact that you are doing all of my research for me for my next vehicle.  We are pretty much in the same boat...I mean camper.

Going to PM you a couple links that are helpful when you get to that point.

Going to PM you a couple links that are helpful when you get to that point.

Thanks.

I really just keep hoping that Dad and I will get our timing down.  He will hopefully be getting rid of his truck about the same time I am ready to trade in.  He has started talking about it, but he is like someone on this forum who will remain nameless.  It is a 2 year process once he starts talking about it.  He has an F250 crew cab long bed diesel 4X4 Lariat trim.  I know he would give me a stupid cheap deal and I know it has been meticulously maintained.  That is worth it to me to have to pay a little extra for fuel and maintenance.  

• Heart 1

Thanks.

I really just keep hoping that Dad and I will get our timing down.  He will hopefully be getting rid of his truck about the same time I am ready to trade in.  He has started talking about it, but he is like someone on this forum who will remain nameless.  It is a 2 year process once he starts talking about it.  He has an F250 crew cab long bed diesel 4X4 Lariat trim.  I know he would give me a stupid cheap deal and I know it has been meticulously maintained.  That is worth it to me to have to pay a little extra for fuel and maintenance.  

Yeah, if I could find a good deal on a diesel, I would, though I wouldn't want a crew cab, long bed, those things are just to freaking huge when you need to use it as a daily driver too.  You just can't find them it seems with out approaching 200,000 miles.  While the engine might be able to handle that, the transmission, suspension and everything else is a huge concern at that point.

• Heart 1

Yeah, if I could find a good deal on a diesel, I would, though I wouldn't want a crew cab, long bed, those things are just to freaking huge when you need to use it as a daily driver too.  You just can't find them it seems with out approaching 200,000 miles.  While the engine might be able to handle that, the transmission, suspension and everything else is a huge concern at that point.

If I buy his truck it would not be able to be a DD I don't think.  Hopefully I can hold on to my Accord and Jen will keep her work car.  If I were to actually go look for a truck to buy today (and I had a choice in the matter) it would be a 3/4 gas shortbed crew.  But his truck would be worth it just because I know it's history.  Hell, I may just end up with another Expy.  

I tell you what though, I rode in an organ procurement vehicle over the weekend in Chicago.  It was an Armada.  Man, that thing was nice.  I know that they are rated around 9 thousand pounds.  I have a few friends that have one.  I liked it a lot.  If you take the organ procurement stickers off the side and take the lights and siren off it would make a great daily driver/tow rig.  Or hell, leave them on and get through traffic.