Cycling forum use

rpenmanparker

back to the LF

For now.  They'll be closed within a year.  I'm not being mean, just realistic.  They are part of a large company, and there are even less cycling posts there than here.  They closed the organic forum, they'll close the cycling forum too.  It's a shame, it was a great place, they people are still awesome.  Hopefully more will come here.  We're not going anywhere.

• Awesome 1

They closed the organic forum, they'll close the cycling forum too.   Hopefully more will come here. 

I don't know...  Some of those organic gardening forum people seemed a bit shy when it came to a sense of humor.  And I think the eville Mr. Bulk would taunt them about how he puts chemicals on his garden.  But if you want them here, it's ok with me.

Wasn't there also some sort of runner's forum too?  Not sure if we want those kind of people moving into our neighborhood, though.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

For now.  They'll be closed within a year.  I'm not being mean, just realistic.  They are part of a large company, and there are even less cycling posts there than here.  They closed the organic forum, they'll close the cycling forum too.  It's a shame, it was a great place, they people are still awesome.  Hopefully more will come here.  We're not going anywhere.

I stop in time to time, but there is not a ton of posting going on like their used to be. Most are here I imagine.

Nah - it has been slow for years so I don't think it will die.  But now it has really lost critical mass.  Sad.

Nah - it has been slow for years so I don't think it will die.  But now it has really lost critical mass.  Sad.

I don't think it is sad, it is cause and effect.  The continual lessening of the user experience meant that it would inevitably go into a steep decline.  That Rodale let it get that way is sad, but the bulk of the people there came over here and we have a better forum that is also better dressed, so we can be happy instead of sad.

Now, if we could only get epg over here...

I don't think it is sad, it is cause and effect.  The continual lessening of the user experience meant that it would inevitably go into a steep decline.  That Rodale let it get that way is sad, but the bulk of the people there came over here and we have a better forum that is also better dressed, so we can be happy instead of sad.

Now, if we could only get epg over here...

It is like seeing your hometown decay!  We all moved to the leafy suburb and let our inner city decline, like Detroit. :(

Don't do that, that is social suicide.

A few of us try to maintain dual citizenship, but it doesn't work all that well.  I remember when I got bored and dabbled at Bike Forums for a while, which at least has a huge population, but I felt like a cheater and went back to exclusivity at the LF and it felt like home again.

The low LF participation is simply and directly related to the people who left there and came here.  The only thing that happened was that SW started this forum and about half or more left for this place.  If SW hadn't done that, the LF would probably be just the same as it ever was.  

The low LF participation is simply and directly related to the people who left there and came here.  The only thing that happened was that SW started this forum and about half or more left for this place.  If SW hadn't done that, the LF would probably be just the same as it ever was.  

I don't think so, people were getting fed up with Rodale's attitude towards us.  I was getting ready to leave for good anyway.

Well, I agree, it is largely SW's and RG's fault ( :D ), but like charlie burgh said, there were also a lot of people who just plain left - Ella, the Yankees, TEK, TER, etc.  A lot is just natural ebb and flow, but the format change defiantly ( :D ) moved it along.

I don't think so, people were getting fed up with Rodale's attitude towards us.  I was getting ready to leave for good anyway.

I never had a problem with Rodale.  They provided and maintained the forum and I was happy to be there.

Forums seem to be going out of popularity in general.  Also, the people that left should have been easily replaced by new members, but forums all seem to breed a clique mentality that scares new members away.  Even here.  When was the last time a real new member (besides a former LF or BF member) signed up here an became an active and regular participant?.

• Heart 1

Well, I agree, it is largely SW's and RG's fault ( :D ), but like charlie burgh said, there were also a lot of people who just plain left - Ella, the Yankees, TEK, TER, etc.  A lot is just natural ebb and flow, but the format change defiantly ( :D ) moved it along.

I don't get the complaints about the format.  It is no worse than it is here, IMO.  Some things are better here and some things are better there.

• Heart 1

I never had a problem with Rodale.  They provided and maintained the forum and I was happy to be there.

Forums seem to be going out of popularity in general.  Also, the people that left should have been easily replaced by new members, but the forum format seems to breed a clique mentality that scares new members away.  Even here.  When was the last time a real new member (besides a former LF or BF member) signed up here an became an active and regular participant?.

I too was happy with Mother Rodale.  Of course I grew up with Organic Gardening and Farming so I always had a warm spot in my heart for them.

• Haha 1

I don't get the complaints about the format.  It is no worse than it is here, IMO.  Some things are better here and somethings are better there.

It was just  a minor annoyance, IMO.  Even before that, it suffered from a low number of people posting.  It is tough finding a sweet spot.  The first forum I ever joined was anandtech, and the traffic there is still amazing, just like it was (and probably still is) at BF.  I always felt lost in the crowd at both places.  The LF and here are Goldilocks just right.

I don't get the complaints about the format.  It is no worse than it is here, IMO.  Some things are better here and some things are better there.

The current LF format is much worse than this format.  How do you not see this?  I also can't think of one thing better there than here, but I don't go much because of the format.

The current LF format is much worse than this format.  How do you not see this?  I also can't think of one thing better there than here, but I don't go much because of the format.  

I have more trouble posting here (software gitches and slowdowns) than I ever do over there.  You may not like the way it looks or something, but it is extremely reliable and never seems to suffer a single hiccup.