Cycling forum use

rpenmanparker

I have more trouble posting here (software gitches and slowdowns) than I ever do over there.  You may not like the way it looks or something, but it is extremely reliable and never seems to suffer a single hiccup.

What?  The too small avatars?  The thread titles all improperly formatted (you know, the text starts in the avatar itself)?  There is definitely weirdness there that nobody bothers to fix, this is clear.

I have more trouble posting here (software gitches and slowdowns) than I ever do over there.  You may not like the way it looks or something, but it is extremely reliable and never seems to suffer a single hiccup.

I agree, but I don't have the deep pockets of Rodale.  This software is tremendously better than what they offer and in mid-October we'll have an update that will fix a lot of bugs.  I can't afford a dedicated server and this site doesn't warrant it yet.  If we ever do, I will make it happen.

A perfect example of what I said in my previous post.

I hope it was a one-time glitch.

But now it is gone, so maybe only I saw that.  Weird!

I think RG fixed it.

I agree, but I don't have the deep pockets of Rodale.  This software is tremendously better than what they offer and in mid-October we'll have an update that will fix a lot of bugs.  I can't afford a dedicated server and this site doesn't warrant it yet.  If we ever do, I will make it happen.

I hope it was a one-time glitch.

I think RG fixed it.

RG deleted my brilliant prose? :angry::mellow:

I wasn't actually being critical, just pointing out that neither site is perfect.  Just trying to reply to RG's criticism of the LF format versus here.   :)

• Heart 2

So you left because the avatars were too small?   :D

No, I left because pretty much everything about it sucked.  Larger avatars are better (to a point), though.

I get what he is saying.  The software is just weird, and I really liked the Jive software that came before it.

I wasn't too into the Jive, but it was way better than the current crapware.

Jive ain't cheap.  I think it's between 25 and 50 thousand a year.  I can understand why they moved on.  Hoopla ia also managed software.  In a way, this site is too, but it's managed by me.

Holy crap - it was better than Hoopla, but nowhere NEAR that damn good!

I always liked Fusetalk, and phpBB seems decent enough.  But this is nice too.

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

Ok, I go over there real quick just now, and can't log in.  It seems to have forgotten me, and tells me to complete my profile and wants to send a verification email to an account that I haven't used since 2002.  It knows I am randomguy, but my avatar is gone, too.  How is this better?

It's designed to screen out the troublemakers.  :)

• Heart 3

Ha!  I got out of the sign in screen by "signing off", then opened a new browser window and selected the LF bookmark, and there was my avatar and I am in without needing credentials.  Buggy10 is less buggy.

I had a similar experience signing in.  For some reason my browser doesn't have my latest password stored, even though it was changed aboot 5 or so years ago! Actually long before I even started using this computer, so it must be coming from the site itself. :scratch head:

I suspect this is like politics.  We all have our views, opinions, preferences and are trying to convince someone with differing opinions that ours are better.  There is no way to win that.  Both places are great.  It's the people that make a forum and both site have awesome people.

Yeah, ours are just awesomer.........

• 3 years later...
On 9/17/2015 at 10:47 AM, Road Runner said:

Forums seem to be going out of popularity in general.  Also, the people that left should have been easily replaced by new members, but forums all seem to breed a clique mentality that scares new members away.  Even here.  When was the last time a real new member (besides a former LF or BF member) signed up here an became an active and regular participant?.

Very insightful.  I couldn't have said it better, myself.  :slow-dance-smiley: 

• Heart 2
  • Confused 1

I love the forum format!  Specially when it has a good search function.  I don't know why businesses don;t use forum software instead of email.  For example, it is easier to follow a long thread than a long chain of emails, although the ability to link chained emails does help with that. 

I guess there are some email repalcements, like Slack I think, but privacy is an issue.  At least email has gotten better to deal with now that Outlook's search function actually works.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I love the forum format!  Specially when it has a good search function.  I don't know why businesses don;t use forum software instead of email. 

Email is not the forum enemy.  Facebook and such is where it's at.  

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Email is not the forum enemy.  Facebook and such is where it's at.  

Yes, I know, I was just off on a tangent aboot how work email can be such a pain in the tookus.  But it has gotten a lot better lately.  I see that there is now a Microsoft Teams that is a competitor to Slack that seems like a likely corporate move someday, but you have to be careful what you ask for, because you might get it, and change is often bad.

• 11 months later...
On 9/17/2015 at 8:06 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Nah - it has been slow for years so I don't think it will die.  But now it has really lost critical mass.  Sad.

Ok,ok, so I was wrong!  Not the first or the last time!  :D :(

But I think on average I am slightly ahead of a blind squirrel ( no offense, sw!)  

• Haha 2