Moulton Esprit...the last bike...honest.

onbike1939

This is my latest acquisition which I've changed quite a bit. In order to keep cycling as I become ever older, I keep buying bikes, hoping that each one will be the magic bullet that will make me chase away all my ills and keep me cycling for another few years. Alas I find that every one still needs to be pedalled....which is a big disappointment really.

Anyway I've changed the Bars to short reach, changed the gears shifters from Downtube to STI's (the bikes five years' old and yet the buyer specified Downshifts, changed the 105 Chain-set which had external bearings, split the original Capreo cassette 9-26t and inserted three larger sprockets which gives me 20-95 inches.....hopefully enough.

P1000136_zpsilibnu20.thumb.jpg.392f08883

• Heart 3

Now I'm aware that the Law of averages dictates that there has to be a certain number of Buffoons allocated to each forum but really...........do they all have to follow me around and pass disparaging comments on my beautiful bike? I'm devastated ....I show you a gorgeous bike and this is what I get....it's a stainless steel frame you know. :(

I just know that Dotman and Page are going to say even worse things.

Was that bike with the circus before you obtained it?

In before dots.

I do like it though for a folder.

Sigh.......I despair at the amount of ignorance displayed on this forum but I can forgive you as you're not really a cyclist.

For your information the bike is not a Folder though some models do separate. It is moreover a very fast bike and a Moulton similar to this one holds the world speed record over a 200 metre course. I was ill that day so it wasn't me that was responsible for this.  :rolleyes:I've ridden many, many bikes in my time but this is the most comfortable and it needs to be as every other gives me cramp in my arms. I also own a more sedate model (TSR 27) which is a go anywhere bike. For someone who can't really cycle worth a damn now, I own too many bike and will have to sell a couple.

People spin data all the time.  Why is a record for 200 meters important...........because it's mostly achieved by acceleration and aerodynamics don't really play a part in it.

It's still a nice bike for what it is.  You could bring it over here and ride my trails with it just to find out if I'm a real cyclist or not though.  I think you might have to get some of the parts farther off the ground though.

Edited by maddmaxx

People spin data all the time.  Why is a record for 200 meters important...........because it's mostly achieved by acceleration and aerodynamics don't really play a part in it.

It's still a nice bike for what it is.  You could bring it over here and ride my trails with it just to find out if I'm a real cyclist or not though.  I think you might have to get some of the parts farther off the ground though.

Wow! Really?

"Coventry CC pursuit team were unstoppable on the track, their Moultons allowing them to keep in a tight group to reduce aerodynamic drag; road riders benefited from the reduced aerodynamic drag of the small wheels and, with reputation established, the Moulton became acceptable to the most discerning club cyclists."

http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/heritage.html

Relax......there's nothing wrong with confining yourself to riding around the Park.....cycling has room for all.

...do you think it would go faster if you spray painted it red ?

Do you think it would help if I sprayed my legs red?

The bike is far too good for me and that's  a fact. It needs someone young and fit to get the best from it. It is really comfortable and responsive though and I bought it knowing that I can double my money whenever I want to sell.

Do you think it would help if I sprayed my legs red?.

...you probably won't go faster, but it might help in other ways. What could it hurt?:huh:

The bike is far too good for me and that's  a fact. It needs someone young and fit to get the best from it. 

...I can say that about 90% of the bikes in my garage.:) The only one that's not too good for me is the Raleigh Sports grocery bike.