French fries are health food, right?

tybeegb

Not a lot for lunch to choose from that I haven't had already this week.  French fries it is.    They have to be somewhere in the pyramid.  :P

I think the pyramid has been replaced by the plate with a balanced meal on it.  Half the plate veggies, the rest divided between protein and grains, I guess. I can barely even remember what it was for many years before the pyramid.

I allow myself a snicker when I see containers of 'organic sun dried sea salt' or some such in the store.

Salt is sodium chloride, NaCl, whether it comes from a mine near Syracuse or out of some beach combing hippie's sea-water filled tub out in Oregon.

And I allow myself some peanut chews when I see the vending machine. :whistle:

• Heart 1

Not a lot for lunch to choose from that I haven't had already this week.  French fries it is.    They have to be somewhere in the pyramid.  :P  And that's Himalayan Pink Salt, so that's good for you too.  :whistle:

IMAG0260_(640x362).thumb.jpg.98ade6b6d83

They are lacking something...  Like cheese curds and gravy.  That would make it a complete meal. :)

• Heart 1

I allow myself a snicker when I see containers of 'organic sun dried sea salt' or some such in the store.

Salt is sodium chloride, NaCl, whether it comes from a mine near Syracuse or out of some beach combing hippie's sea-water filled tub out in Oregon.

WRONG!!!!  Different salts have different flavor profiles, due to the diverse elements contained along with the NaCl, and different humidity levels, sizes, and textures, making some ideal for salting pasta water, some more suited to finishing a dish, and some more suited general cooking and such.  This is all really important, as some salts get lost in the food, while others do not "melt" anywhere near as easily and stay in place better.   Crinkle cut fries from a bag, I guess it doesn't really matter what salt you use, but for good homemade food, I will take some nice fleur de sel at the end to make a big difference in the final product.

Should SW's buy you some for the anniversary? 

WRONG!!!!  Different salts have different flavor profiles, due to the diverse elements contained along with the NaCl, and different humidity levels, sizes, and textures, making some ideal for salting pasta water, some more suited to finishing a dish, and some more suited general cooking and such. 

You're speaking of the impurities the manufacturer chooses not to remove from the salt, whether for economy and/or for marketing the product.

Salt, itself, remains NaCl.

You're speaking of the impurities the manufacturer chooses not to remove from the salt, whether for economy and/or for marketing the product.

Salt, itself, remains NaCl.

The megasalt industry propaganda machine has worked on you, I see.  Actual salt in nature isn't just NaCl, and the "impurities" you speak of are tasty good in natural salt and are most often significantly better than what the folks at Morton put out.  They refine a lot of the personality out of their salt, you see.

Have you ever had really good salt?  

The megasalt industry propaganda machine has worked on you, I see.  Actual salt in nature isn't just NaCl, and the "impurities" you speak of are tasty good in natural salt and are most often significantly better than what the folks at Morton put out.  They refine a lot of the personality out of their salt, you see.

Have you ever had really good salt?  

You gotta' get out of NYC. :D

• Heart 1

You need malt vinegar on them

This is wrong, it will only soggify them.

Oh, please.

Oxygen is O2.

Sulfuric acid is H2SO4.

Water is H20.  The impurities and/or other dissolve substances give water the variations in its taste much the same as they do for salt.

There's no need to get esoteric about it.  Salt is still NaCl.

You are still wrong.