How many languages can you communicate in?

Square Wheels

English poorly.  Japanese even more poorly but I can shop and buy things.  Lao but I'm so out of practice that I might get hit for saying good morning and I'm learning just a little bit of Mandarin.  None of those include any reading skills.  With my new family this last might be the important one.

I don't think anyone would fork up real money for my abilities in any of them.

I took French and Spanish in high school but that long ago they were much smaller languages.

I can speak enough French, real French and québécois, to get by. I know a few words/ phrases of Norwegian. Both WoZack and I are slowly learning Haitian- Creole.

My French Canadian  father in law, rest his soul, could speak about a dozen languages. He also drove like a bat out a hell. For a while he  had both Canadian and U. S. drivers licenses and did a lot driving between the two countries.

When he would get stopped for speeding he would show the other countries license, and speak in whichever language he thought would most confuse the cop.

Claimed he never got a ticket.   :D 

English is my primary language.  

I am fluent and can converse in medical jargon.

I used to be fluent in jarhead and could get by in sailor but it's been a few years since I have spoken either one.  I could probably be back on track very shortly if placed in the right circumstances.

• Heart 1

Every time I broke something on the farm and grampa would start yelling at me I would learn a new word in German. 

So I can yell at you in German. 

My grandfather was fluent in English, German,  and French. I wish I would have taken advantage of this when I was young. 

• Heart 1

Every time I broke something on the farm and grampa would start yelling at me I would learn a new word in German. 

Lol, Me too. I used to know all the "important phases" in German when I was a young'in. But I forgot over the years.

Now its English, and enough Spanglish to know when someone is trying to pull a fast one over on me..;)

• Heart 1

My grandfather was fluent in English, German,  and French. I wish I would have taken advantage of this when I was young. 

I had a friend who was a police officer. His parents were Mexican, but insisted the kids speak English because they were born here. As a result he learned very little Spanish. One day when he and his partner were chasing 2 Mexican kids down he got frustrated and yelled something in Spanish his mother used to scream at him and his brothers. The guys immediately stopped and sat down!

Later he asked his mother to tell him exactly what he had said. Apparently he told them to sit down and eat their dinner or he would whip them and send them to bed!

• Heart 1