Bike question

Further

I have one, but I removed it since it was the wrong setup for me.. I found I have my seat all the way back, and I am more comfy with my bars dropped as low as they can go. I even bought a longer stem to straighten out my back more. 

The funny thing is, My cycle is the proper size for me, but I needed a little more room so I could be better for longer distances. 

To check whether or not it would help your fit OK.  For full time use?  

Could you obtain a stem with a greater rise instead.  Possibly one of the adjustable stems 

I take it you don't think it's a very good idea. I've been wondering about the added stress on the steerer tube. Those adjustable stems with the big knuckle in them are just too fugly, I'm dorky enough as it is. 

I take it you don't think it's a very good idea. I've been wondering about the added stress on the steerer tube. Those adjustable stems with the big knuckle in them are just too fugly, I'm dorky enough as it is. 

They are very heavy too.  They do however serve a purpose where you want to experiment with different rise to see how it feels.  When done you get a proper fixed stem that matches.  Sometimes I think those adjustables should be standard shop equipment for customers to borrow for a test.

As for steerer tubes, they should even have a limit on the number of spacers between the headset and the stem clamp for stress reasons.

Edited by maddmaxx
  • Heart 1

Anybody here use a stem extender?  My position is not at all radical, but my neck, shoulders, and back can't take more than hour or so of riding. At my speed an hour won't take me very far.

Picking the bars up a couple inches seems like the easiest solution. 

We're talking about 1 1/8" threadless? I installed a lot of those extenders when I ran a bike shop, and never saw an issue. The only complication on the installation was that the front brake cable sometimes, but not always had to be replaced because the original wouldn't reach.

Never saw a failure or any mechanical issue result, but I wouldn't use one for radical off roading where the bars take a fair amount of stress.

They are very heavy too.  They do however serve a purpose where you want to experiment with different rise to see how it feels.  When done you get a proper fixed stem that matches.  Sometimes I think those adjustables should be standard shop equipment for customers to borrow for a test.

As for steerer tubes, they should even have a limit on the number of spacers between the headset and the stem clamp for stress reasons.

Really only an issue for riding in the rock gardens or climbing out of the saddle. For sedate riding with upright posture on level terrain, that tube is plenty strong. 

...in order to give you anything resembling an intelligent answer, I'd need a photo of your current setup. I've done these for other people, but it's easier to do in person.

There is a huge variety of stem sorts now, usually better to use than an extender.  i.e. you just look for a shorter stem with a more serious upright angle.

Here's one I did for me a while back when there was a temporary issue.  Threaded, not threadless, so a quill stem, but the principles are similar.

Raleigh_Comp_(Shimano_600)_016.thumb.jpg

Raleigh_Competition_001.thumb.JPG.4d23ba

I like your bike, had a Trek 520 set up about the same, rear rack, stainless fenders, dark green in color.

My present bike is a 2006 Specialized Roubaix, I think it was the expert level, all carbon with Ultegra components.  I don't have any close up pictures of the bike but I think it's a pretty standard setup. All factory stock.

This was supposed to quote Page and have his bike pics. No idea how Wilbur got into it. Or why the text is so big.

:)

026.JPG

036.JPG

Edited by Further
This came out kind of fubar
  • Heart 1

...I think I'd look for a very short, steeply angled threadless stem.

985277_1.jpg  ...use the phrase "high rise" in your search string.

One of the unfortunate factors with threadless is exactly this problem of elevating the bars once the fork is cut. :(

But they do sell those extender thingies, I've just avoided using them so far.

My present bike is a 2006 Specialized Roubaix, I think it was the expert level, all carbon with Ultegra components.  I don't have any close up pictures of the bike but I think it's a pretty standard setup. All factory stock.

This was supposed to quote Page and have his bike pics. No idea how Wilbur got into it. Or why the text is so big.

026.JPG

036.JPG

I like this post. I don't need my bifocals to read it. Thanks, Further.

. Those adjustable stems with the big knuckle in them are just too fugly, I'm dorky enough as it is. 

I wore my helmet with Da Brim on my weekend ride, I also wore my "cat ears" wind noise suppressors.  I figured with the brim nobody would even notice the cat ears. FWIW those cat ears do a very good job of eliminating wind noise.