A grill question...to atone for the earlier bike question

Further

My propane grill is definitely adding an overtone to the flavor of my burgers. Not a good one. I also regularly use pans on the grill and they get a really gross oily film on the bottom. 

I know charcoal is the way to go, but sometimes there just isn't enough time, or energy.

So does anybody here have a natural gas grill and how do you like it ? 

Would it be possible to use some grill plates with a different rise to test grill on?

Srsly.  Propane makes water not oily residue.  Perhaps it's time to scrape out the grill bucket and put in some new flame holders.

Edited by maddmaxx

So you think maintenance rather than replacement?

If you liked it at one time and it's different now then yes.  Some people just don't like gas grills.  I have a webber that I really like but this year I had to put on new cast iron grates (rust problem) and while I had it all apart I scraped and cleaned the bucket.  That alone filled the drip pan twice.  Check your flame holders.  After a while cracks will appear between the flame holes and it's time for replacement.

That's mostly why I like the webber.  It's expensive but it's got high quality replacement parts.  When I had cheaper grills I just threw them out and started over.

By the way, I hope to keep the rust problem on the cast iron at bay by keeping the grill plates coated in vegitable oil or olive oil.

Edited by maddmaxx

If you liked it at one time and it's different now then yes.  Some people just don't like gas grills.  I have a webber that I really like but this year I had to put on new cast iron grates (rust problem) and while I had it all apart I scraped and cleaned the bucket.  That alone filled the drip pan twice.  Check your flame holders.  After a while cracks will appear between the flame holes and it's time for replacement.

That's mostly why I like the webber.  It's expensive but it's got high quality replacement parts.  When I had cheaper grills I just threw them out and started over.

By the way, I hope to keep the rust problem on the cast iron at bay by keeping the grill plates coated in vegitable oil or olive oil.

Yes this helps.  I cook really fatty burgers often.  Get them all over the grill grates, the fattier, the better.  You will not have rust on cast iron if you do this a couple times a season.

• Like 1

I have had my gas grill for probably seven years.  Never had a flavor problem.

I regularly use a brush on the grates, and when I'm done, after moving everything off I let it stay hot for a couple of minutes in closed position to cook off anything that might be there.

Once or twice a summer, I take the grates and flavor bars off and the drip pan and spray them down before letting them dry in the sun.  And once a season we bring the grates in and wash them with Dawn.

So I got it good and hot, then took a wire brush to it including the burner and made sure the air mix pipe inlet was clean. Shop vac'd out  the pound or three of debris. Burns way the hell cleaner, the flames are mostly blue rather than yellow and there is no odor.

The bacon I made tonight was delicious.