Looks like I'm in the market for a new phone

Scrapr

My Galaxy S3 is stuck in a reboot loop. Start up, get to the home screen and then turn off and start up again.

What should I get?

I'm probably going to do the Boost/Cricket/low cost plan. Buy your own phone instead of putting one on the Sprint plan again. So probably <$200 or so

Edited by Scrapr

Verizon is offering a weird deal.  You are always stuck in a 2 year contract, but now they offer an Edge plan where they don't charge you for the phone up front, including an iPhone (why would you want one?) or an Android (a real phone).  They charge you $25 (or so) a month for the phone.  Here's the weird part, they offer you a $25 a month credit for the phone.  So, you pay the same monthly fee you used to pay, but you can get a new phone for free.

So much hate for the iPhone.

It's boring and predictable.  They make the icons look different and call it a whole new operating system?  I give them kudos for creating the smart phone but after the iPhone 1 they really haven't done anything innovating.  They created Siri, have you ever tried using it?  :)  I had one for a few years as a work phone, it was miserable interacting with an Exchange server.  I have a Galaxy S5 now, works all the time.

These new phones are getting so large, my next phone will probably be a cheap flip phone with a separate tablet.

My employer, rather than giving me a smart phone to use, offered me a few bucks per week to use my own phone and data. I didn't pick mine to use for work, so my droid is just not very field work friendly. I also didn't want to use all my data and or give my number out to that many people. So they gave me an older iphone to use. Being used to a droid, its confusing to use.:( 

It's boring and predictable.  They make the icons look different and call it a whole new operating system?  I give them kudos for creating the smart phone but after the iPhone 1 they really haven't done anything innovating.  They created Siri, have you ever tried using it?  :)  I had one for a few years as a work phone, it was miserable interacting with an Exchange server.  I have a Galaxy S5 now, works all the time.

They didn't create the smart phone, that would be closer to Palm/HandSpring, and man, did that company ever screw up.

They didn't create the smart phone, that would be closer to Palm/HandSpring, and man, did that company ever screw up.

True, but they did revolutionize it.  My first organizer was a Handsrping, black and white screen and I loved it.  Then I got a Palm Treo, that was awesome!  Then a Blackberry, that was pretty bad, then an iPhone.  I really tried to like it, but I just couldn't.  My wife has an iPhone and an iPad and is very happy.  I have an Android phone and just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and I think I'm happier.

True, but they did revolutionize it.  My first organizer was a Handsrping, black and white screen and I loved it.  Then I got a Palm Treo, that was awesome!  Then a Blackberry, that was pretty bad, then an iPhone.  I really tried to like it, but I just couldn't.  My wife has an iPhone and an iPad and is very happy.  I have an Android phone and just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and I think I'm happier.

Yeah, the first Handspring phone was pretty cool, but Palm bought them back up (Handspring was started by ex Palm employees who were fed up with Palm stopping to innovate) and then did what Palm was doing at the time, nothing.  They literally had the market in their hand and sat their and did nothing with it.  Blackberry ended up basically following Palm's example.

I am in the market for a new plan, Stan.  We need to discuss much!  ATT, Verizon, other, or cheapo?  We need aboot 3 new phones for me and the daughters.

After much looking last night I think I'm going to go to Boost. They use Sprint towers. And I have been w/Sprint for a long time. So service should be good. Boost has a plan now $30/mo 2GB data and unlimited everything. That will cut my bill in more than half

You can BYOP but since mine is busted I'll probably just buy one there

Edited by Scrapr

Well that was ardrous. Go to Boost store. Since they are a subsidiary of Sprint I can't port my number. Go to Metro PCS and find a phone. I haven't seen this phone before. Run home to google it. Looks good. Back to the store. Need your account number. Back to the office. Back to the store w/the billing sheet. Oh, BTW can't pay with a credit card. Do you have a debit card/ I don't use debit cards. Run to the bank to draw out American money. Run by the Sprint store to get my PIN number. Oh, I can't see that on my screen. i'll e mail that to you. Run to the office to look at my e mail. Then to the store. Hand over $140 American. She hands my new phone over

untitled.png

I am getting cold feet realizing if I go with a cheapo plan any time there is a hiccup I will get blamed. :angry:

I know. I have brought up moving WoScrapr's  I phone over to a cheap plan. My saving grace is her girlfriend talked her into the I phone. So I officially know bupkis about her phone. I usually tell her to go to the apple store and talk to a genius. Her phone battery is wearing down. So thinking of buying an unlocked I phone and hook up w/a cheap plan.

LW

I'm seeing complaints that the Moto X screen cracks easily. Any comment? I cracked my S3 screen within 12 hours

I didn't have the X, I had its related brother, the Verizon-only Droid MAXX, with no issues.  That said, none of the people I knew that had the Moto X complained.

The Touchless controls and the Driving mode make the Moto X one of the best phones I've ever known (I owned the Droid MAXX for the same reasons).  The 2014 version is decent too, so if it saves you money or you like not having a huge display, go for it.