I hope none of you own stock in Volkswagen...

LoneWolf

As it dropped twenty percent today, and that's just the beginning after the news was released last week.  They could be on the hook for an $18bn fine. not including recalls, lawsuits, and so on.  Interesting reading.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/09/vws-dirty-mission-wheres-the-beginning-and-wheres-the-end/

I think this whole VW diesel thing is hilarious. Last year one of our neighbors bought a new Jetta TDI diesel, and started asking us questions about our Mazda 3. How many miles to the gallon we get, how much we paid etc, etc. All questions he already knew because he considered getting a Mazda 3 first, but the salesman must have talked him into the VW instead. We both bought our cars from the same Mazda/VW dealership. 

Every once in a while he'd flag me down as I drove by just to ask my latest mpg. "Well we're getting 48 with our diesel and its even greener than your gas engine."   Yada, yada. <_<

Last week I must have driven slowly past his house a dozen times while he was outside. And he avoided eye contact every time.:D

Would I be a jerk if I just stopped by to remind him that he spent close to $8,000 more for his car and that the price of gas has been going down unlike the cost of diesel fuel? Maybe I'll just drive by coughing and waving my hand in front of my face like he had just rolled coal though the neighborhood. If it sounds too good to be true....

Greener my azz...;)

I think this whole VW diesel thing is hilarious. Last year one of our neighbors bought a new Jetta TDI diesel, and started asking us questions about our Mazda 3. How many miles to the gallon we get, how much we paid etc, etc. All questions he already knew because he considered getting a Mazda 3 first, but the salesman must have talked him into the VW instead. We both bought our cars from the same Mazda/VW dealership. 

Every once in a while he'd flag me down as I drove by just to ask my latest mpg. "Well we're getting 48 with our diesel and its even greener than your gas engine."   Yada, yada. <_<

Last week I must have driven slowly past his house a dozen times while he was outside. And he avoided eye contact every time.:D

Would I be a jerk if I just stopped by to remind him that he spent close to $8,000 more for his car and that the price of gas has been going down unlike the cost of diesel fuel? Maybe I'll just drive by coughing and waving my hand in front of my face like he had just rolled coal though the neighborhood. If it sounds too good to be true....

Greener my azz...;)

Or go "Wow, the air smells like dirty french fries.  Biodiesel?" ;)

Thankfully we never went for a diesel model but the wife has a jetta. What a pile of shit.

I had an 87 that ran forever and the parts/labor were cheap. We buy here an 07 Wolfsburg and at first it's fine .

10k in a wire in the steering column goes, not under warranty, that seems to control the entire electrical. $800

Rear brakes at every 35k, since it's "progressive braking" the rears wear out faster. $650 each time 

Timing belt and pcv valve at 75k. $1200

Shocks, upper control arms, wheel alignment and AC at 100k.  $1650

Finally at 115k valve body in transmission and front wheel bearings $2400 just last week.

I would have told them to scrap the little shit but the last 2400 is cheaper than a years car payments on a new car and I only really need it to last till March 2017.

Needless to say the wife is looking elsewhere for a car.

Greener my azz...;)

Price of diesel has been going down here, and it has been cheaper per gallon than gasoline for several weeks in our area.:D

you'll lose any savings in fuel the first time you need it serviced. most people are bad at math

You realize life is full of trade offs.  Different stokes for different folks, and that does not make any of them right or wrong.  Out of 5 moving vehicles at our place, 3 are diesels, and yes we own a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen.  We drive all of our vehicles for many miles and expect some repair bills.  Thankfully, we've not run into the problems that have plagued Goldendesign.

Price of diesel has been going down here, and it has been cheaper per gallon than gasoline for several weeks in our area.:D

Diesel prices have been going down here too, but not as fast as regular. A quick check around me shows diesel still 5 to ten cents more per gallon. Not sure how VW will remedy this issue. Maybe mount a DEF system in the trunk? Its time for me to cash my VW stock in and invest in  DEF fluids. Last time I checked, I paid $15 for a gallon of urea. :(

For those unfamiliar with DEF fluid.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

My wife still loves her Touareg, but it's not a diesel and I do the work on it.  I'm getting tired of re-engineering it.  Have redone the headlight assembly as it was over designed and ended up breaking.  Now I've completely rewired the stereo since it turns out if you do something silly like disconnect the battery, the amplifier in the rear blows an IC and you lose front speakers.  So now she has a standard, custom stereo system.