We're almost last

Square Wheels

I work in a hospital and I'm amazed at how fat people are.  When I am not at the hospital, maybe food shopping or the mall, it's even worse, and yet my state is one of the skinniest.

What the hell is happening to us?  I have weight to lose, plenty of it, but I don't swing my arms side to side as I walk because I bulge so much at the waist that my arms can't hang down.

How fat is your state?

• Heart 1

I'll tell you what's happening to us.  We eat genetically modified food.  Our bodies don't know how to process the shit we put in it.  Because in this country, it's all about making a buck.... and apparently growing fat asses.

Possibly, but I eat as much organic as I can find.  I think I just eat too much of everything.

Ohio is #8, right behind Indiana.  I think this will prompt an obesity competition between the states.  Ohioans will not permit their western neighbors to be fatter for long.  Free cheese coneys for all!  

Based on my three years here in SW Ohio, they eat real shitty food and seem to like it.  I noticed that healthcare jobs represent 25 to 30 percent of employment here.  Diabetes, heart disease and COPD are seen as the cost of doing business.  Support for exercise facilities and smoking cessation programs are non-existent. 

The credit union I worked at in VA had a fitness center and promoted fitness classes (spinning, kick boxing, jazzercise, yoga) as an effective method to keep health costs down and boost productivity.  The building campus went smoke free 20 years ago and offered free programs to help employees quit.  They subsidized weight watchers for the employees as well.

• Heart 2

I don't think that a GMO apple will make you more fat than an heirloom apple.  The problem is that we don't get exercise and many of our foods are very calorie dense.  I don't think that GMO is as much of a problem as the fact that there is sugar in almost everything we eat.

The genetics of the hunter gatherer prompts us to eat as much high calorie foods as possible.  Survival.

• Heart 1

I'll tell you what's happening to us.  We eat genetically modified food.  Our bodies don't know how to process the shit we put in it.  Because in this country, it's all about making a buck.... and apparently growing fat asses.

and you don't have a single shred of proof. people are fat because they're gluttons.

• Heart 1

and you don't have a single shred of proof. people are fat because they're gluttons.

And there's not a single shred of truth in that either.  Travel Europe sometime and tell me -- is it all because they all aren't gluttons?  Or is it because most don't allow GMO? You make the call.

Edited by dotman17
  • Heart 1

And there's not a single shred of truth in that either.  Travel Europe sometime and tell me -- is it all because they all aren't gluttons?  Or is it because most don't allow GMO? You make the call.

Their lifestyle is significantly different than ours.  Their cities are more walkable and markets are a part of daily life.  You can walk down and buy something to cook for dinner.

People in Europe do not drive like we do.

50 years ago, when I was in grade school, the fat kids stood out in the crowd. Now the skinny kids stand out.

When a 10yr old is obese there is more to it than  some food additives.

I don't like all the chemicals they use in the food industry, but they are feeding a hell of alot of people. And life expectancies have been going up not down.

Maybe a game of "tag you're it"   would be worth the risk of a skinned knee, rather than playing the newest zombie killer video game, safely ensconced in the media room with a bucket of fried chicken.  

• Heart 3

Several factors creating a perfect storm with obesity

• Calorie dense food readily available with no work needed
  • Cities are no longer walkable
  • Working full time and life's tasks makes exercise difficult to maintain
  • No more exercise in K-12. That was a huge mistake.
  • Fatty and sugary foods taste good. We can consume much more calories very easily with food processing.
  • Less manual labor jobs even available these days.  
  • Heart 1

Several factors creating a perfect storm with obesity

• Calorie dense food readily available with no work needed
  • Cities are no longer walkable
  • Working full time and life's tasks makes exercise difficult to maintain
  • No more exercise in K-12. That was a huge mistake.
  • Fatty and sugary foods taste good. We can consume much more calories very easily with food processing.
  • Less manual labor jobs even available these days.  

And you covered another point with your sig line - meat-laden chili with no beans!

Also, a lot of restaurant meals are totally obscene in portion and composition!

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

I don't think that a GMO apple will make you more fat than an heirloom apple.  The problem is that we don't get exercise and many of our foods are very calorie dense.  I don't think that GMO is as much of a problem as the fact that there is sugar in almost everything we eat.

The genetics of the hunter gatherer prompts us to eat as much high calorie foods as possible.  Survival.

Hunter gathers also didn't eat 3 meals a day.  3 meals a day it a relatively new concept in the history of man.  I have been mixing up my meals for the last year and a half.  I seldom eat three times a day.  Most days I only eat one meal a day and it's not a heavy meal.  Yesterday I eat nothing.  My blood pressure dropped as has my weight over time and I feel better.  I also don't live my life according to a meal clock.

Also, a lot of restaurant meals are totally obscene in portion and composition!

When I buy dinner out I plan to get tomorrow's  lunch out of it. I can't imagine eating the normal restaurant meal at one sitting.

That's why the wife and I split meals when we eat out.

I think people just got lazy. I know people that drive 2 blocks to work because there just lazy and think I'm nuts that I will bike 5mi. to work.

You don't even have to get your fat ass out of the car for a quarter pounder with cheese (540 Calories) and a McDonald's Chocolate Triple Thick Shake. (1160 Calories) You might as well throw a large fries on that (500 Calories)