Not such good news.

maddmaxx

What at first looked like an early catch and easy treatment for the return of my wife's cancer isn't as easy as thought.  Option 1, to process it as a normal polyp removal during a colonoscopy is fraught with danger.  The biopsy results are bad.  It's not a pre cancer it's the regular stuff.  It's not possible to tell how deep into the colon tissue it is and there is risk of preforation.  Even if the surgery looks good there is no way to be 100% sure.  Option 2 is another resection of the colon like 8 years ago.  Risk is down in the 1 to 4% complications range although my wife can be expected to be at the higher end of that range because of the second operation in the same area and previous scar tissue.  

The previous resection went from the small intestine about 1 1/2 feet into the large.  This one will start with the small again and take another 10cm from the large.  Most of the dietary complications don't change because the left vertical part was taken out last time.

Surgery on the 6th of October with a stay of about 4 days in the hospital barring complications.  Fingers crossed.  Although the incidence of complications is low, the types of complications get bad in a hurry when things go wrong for some of the reasons you can imagine.

The good news is that again the tumor doesn't seem to have breached the colon wall and in all likely hood has not spread.

• Heart 1

...yeah, very sorry to hear this.:(  I already have it arranged with my wife that if one of us goes, I go first.  From your description it sounds like you have excellent chances for a positive outcome, and you really can't do much about your choices until the surgeon gets in there and gets a good look anyway.  It's hard to just go on like you know you ought to, but that's your only option 'til then.

• Heart 1

...yeah, very sorry to hear this.:(  I already have it arranged with my wife that if one of us goes, I go first.  From your description it sounds like you have excellent chances for a positive outcome, and you really can't do much about your choices until the surgeon gets in there and gets a good look anyway.  It's hard to just go on like you know you ought to, but that's your only option 'til then.

Yep. My role at this point is supportive and encouragement.