Been talking to Stuck's wife today...

UglyBob

I didn't even know she had kept my number. She contacted me because she wanted some advice on buying a bike. It broke my heart when she said she couldn't talk to Randy about it. :(

Anyway, she just wanted some guidance on what to look for in a used bike on a limited budget. I asked the usual string of questions and pretty much narrowed it down for her, so now I'm looking for something up in her area. Well... I had a little thought; I want to try and find something to send to her (gratis) and figured some of you might want to get in on it. I'm sure I can find something used I can go through, but I might be able to get something at cost from a friend who owns a shop.

Anyone interested?

• Heart 1

Somehow I knew I could count on you guys. This place has a heart of gold. Ok, I'm going to have to move pretty fast on this. I'm trying to work something out with a friend to get the bike at cost, but I don't know if she has someone up there to assemble it when it arrives. I may have to cut a deal with an LBS in the area. Anyone know any good shops in the Provo/ Orem Utah area?  She lives in Spanish Fork, so Salt Lake City is a little out of the way.

Thanks SQ. I'll be sending out a PM in a little while. Like you said, every little bit helps. I have been blessed, so I have no problem making it up if there is any shortfall, but I have a feeling that's not going to be an issue with this crowd.. B)

I did not know Stuck as I came along after he passed. However, this just seems like the right thing to do, so I'll toss something in the hat. PM me a paypal address when you can.

• Heart 2

Ok kids, the deed is done! I have set everything up with the shop in Provo. I just need to write the letter and email it to them. They will print it out and give it to her with the bike. Once they have that, I will give Dalynn the contact info for the shop and the guy that is making this happen. Once all of the money is in, I will get her a gift card for any overage and send it to her so she can use it for shorts, jerseys  or anything else she needs.

What we ended up getting her is a 2015 Raleigh Venture 3.0, a Giro helmet, headlight, and taillight. The shop threw in a bottle and cage for free. I'm guessing we will have somewhere around $100 left to put on a card for her. Whatever we have left, I'll round it up to the next level as part of my contribution.

• Heart 4

Thanks so much, UB!  Stuck was a great guy who handled so much pain with dignity and grace.  I know his wife appreciated the support from Stuck's "imaginary friends" before, and I think she'll be very touched to know that he (and she) still mean a lot to us.  Things can sometimes get a bit testy on any internet board, but things like this remind me that there are a lot of really nice people here and are one of the memories that we carry with us for a long time.

Ok, here is the letter I am giving her with the bike:

Dalynn,

I know, Randy was a good husband, father and provider to his family, but he was also a friend. He reached far beyond the confines of the physical world and touched many of us in the “cyber-world” as well. His intelligence, humor, and bigger than life personality has been sorely missed by those of us he touched through the internet.

Randy was family to us, so by extension, you are as well. Please accept this gift from all of his “Imaginary Friends” and know that if you ever need us, we will be there. We do this in memory of our friend and brother, Stuck.

With love,

Members of the forums at www.squarewheelscycling.com

SquareWheels, UglyBob, Petitepedal, Kirby, Sheep_herder, Charlie burgh, questrider, Kzoo, Krazy, Thaddeus Kosciuszko, roadsue, Scrapr, Lonewolf, Old#7, 2far, goldendesign, SuzieQ, Zackney, Rattlecan, AZ_cyclist, FX_James_7.9, jsharr

• Heart 4