The Christmas Challenge

petitepedal

Ralph..AKA Bulk..WOW you are doing awesome!!  I am skeered to get on the scale..I did okay for the first month...and...actually over all I have stuck with a couple of changes...I have been to Jimmy John's 1 time since we started this..yes I have eaten out when I have been with friends...but that is way different than hitting Subway or Jimmy John's..for 2 meals every weekend!!! 

Today...I met up with a friend at the gym..unfortunately...we are no where near each other in working out...I think I did a 12 minute workout on the elliptical and biceps & triceps ....then we did the massage chair...not much of a work out...but hey I will put Saturday morning on my regular schedule...I think I will try for earlier..like 7:30 ..so I can come home and do breakfast and still catch my cooking shows that I love... We went to breakfast after our workout..since my eggs were cold and under cooked I ate less than anticipated...ALSO I had boring  restaurant tea and not Soda....6 days...diet coke free

Thanks, petite!  I owe it all to you starting this Challenge - thank you! I am still amazed that I actually managed to loose weight after years of intending to.  I just finally got semi-sirius and buckled down and counted calories.  Funny, I am reading a book now called Triggers, which attributes many failures to your environment and how you react to it, and I have always blamed my weight on my environment.  Given perfect freedom, I eat wonderfully, but going out to eat is a minefield, and thankfully lately Mrs. Bulk has started cooking lighter meals.  Beer is still a weakness for me, but I think I am doing ok banishing it to special occasions, cuttng back drastically on weekday biers with dinner.

:)

Edited by The Inedible Bulk
  • Heart 1

16 hours ago, FX_James_7.9 said:

what are your goals? i'd like to be 155-160

When I was in my prime at 25 I was 185 or 190 and even had a hint of some washboard abs . At 55 I'm hovering around 200 so I would like to drop about 10 pounds. That last 10 is hard to do but me and the wife are working at it 110%. She wants to get in better shape too.

8 years ago I went to the doctor with a A1C of 10.6 and weighed 258 today I have a 5.8 A1C and weighing 200.

I know that we can hit our goals if we just stay focused.

• Heart 4

While I am not part of your challenge, I decided it's time for me.

About 10 years ago I weighed at least 250.  I got so fat I stopped weighing myself.   I decided to lose some weight.  I got to about 235 and convinced myself this was as low as my body wanted to get.  Then a few years after that I dropped 35 more pounds.  Then I made it down to 190.  I stayed there for a while, then slowly crept back to where a couple of weeks ago I was over 200, maybe 205.  

I bought a cool Garmin scale on Black Friday (no sale, I was just near the stores), and have made it back to the low 190's.  I plan to slowly get down to 170.  That was about my high school weight.

566462b0887c9_GarminConnect.png.89c43972

• Heart 4

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

While I am not part of your challenge, I decided it's time for me.

About 10 years ago I weighed at least 250.  I got so fat I stopped weighing myself.   I decided to lose some weight.  I got to about 235 and convinced myself this was as low as my body wanted to get.  Then a few years after that I dropped 35 more pounds.  Then I made it down to 190.  I stayed there for a while, then slowly crept back to where a couple of weeks ago I was over 200, maybe 205.  

I bought a cool Garmin scale on Black Friday (no sale, I was just near the stores), and have made it back to the low 190's.  I plan to slowly get down to 170.  That was about my high school weight.

566462b0887c9_GarminConnect.png.89c43972

Excellent!  My favourite Dr. Suess quote is "unsticking yourself is not easily done." :)

OK, actually it is unslumping. :)

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/610086-when-you-re-in-a-slump-you-re-not-in-for-much

• Heart 1

Monday morning weigh-in time.... I'm not quite sure I believe this but I stepped on the Wii Fit scale this morning and the number it read was 250, on the dot.  That's down 3.5 from a week ago.  I certainly ate light this week (I feel hungry much of the time these days) but I didn't throw a leg over a bike, either outside or in the basement.  No real aerobic exercise to speak of (but lots of housework, errands and general "running around")

I went in the bathroom and stepped on that scale.  250.0.  Never before have the two scales been in perfect agreement, to the tenth.

Well, 250 represents my goal - down 12 from the 262 I was when this challenge started.  At the beginning of July I weighed 280.

Still, something about this number doesn't sit right.  I'm not celebrating yet.  And I still want to get down to around 240 (which would put my BMI under that magical/arbitrary 25).

• Heart 3

Well DAMN...congrats.....I am not yet down...but I am going to make it...I will push out the next challenge section to Valentines Day... maybe even start it as a new thread...

I have to believe things will start moving..no more diet coke...except for the 1 on Sunday  (that is 1 a week instead of 10)...and the weekend sammies are a thing of the past as well.  .

Trenton & Bulk are rocking this challenge!!!

• Heart 1

Okay...I so wanted a diet coke this AM...and I think if the boss had not been in...I might have found the time to run for one (no soda machines in our building)...But...I also was invited to a group luncheon...I did well on consumption. 

I got a recipe for a  Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Lentil Soup....I will report back on taste later..257 calories per serving!!

That sounds good...but I try to stay away from too much tomato..plays havoc with my psoriasis.

I went for a diet coke today...and first of all they were out and I ended up with a diet pepsi ..YUCK...But I felt I needed that boost for our Open House today...I will be running this afternoon..and the event goes til 5 PM...I am usually off at 4:30.   Well..too many bubbles  I probably only had 12 oz...not the 20...poured it out and called it quits. 

We tried this tonight. I liked it and I think we will have it again. 

Vegan Butternut Squah

Vegan Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells

Serves: serves 4

Ingredients

1½ cups cubed butternut squash

extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

16 jumbo shells

cashew cream

1½ cups raw cashews*(see note)

1 cup fresh water

1 garlic clove

3½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice

sea salt and freshly ground pepper

filling

4 cups fresh baby spinach

1 cup crumbled firm tofu

1 teaspoon dried oregano

½ teaspoon lemon zest

pinch of red pepper flakes

1 cup cashew cream (from the recipe above)

sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the butternut squash with a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.

Make the cashew cream: Blend together the drained raw cashews, fresh water, garlic, lemon juice, and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Make the filling: In a medium skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the spinach in increments, along with a pinch of salt, and sauté until all the spinach is incorporated and wilted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Squeeze out any excess liquid and chop. In a medium bowl, combine the the spinach with the crumbled tofu, oregano, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup of cashew cream. Season generously with salt and pepper, to taste.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shells and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain.

Assemble the shells. Spread ¼ cup of the reserved cashew cream on the bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish. Fill each shell with some of the filling and a few cubes of butternut squash, and place into the baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil over the shells and bake for 15 minutes, or until browned on top and heated through. Remove from the oven and serve with the remaining cashew cream.

Notes

*Soak cashews in water 3 to 4 hours, preferably overnight, then drain and rinse.

Recipe by Love and Lemons at http://www.loveandlemons.com/2015/11/24/vegan-butternut-squash-stuffed-shells/

953484341facfad02e8af1d5140f9f7e.jpg

I weighed in at 249 this morning, down another pound from last week.  (I guess that number was legit)   I was away at a conference for three days last week (with most meals provided), and then the company Christmas party was Friday night.  I behaved myself, mostly (aside from one quite memorable meal at a Cajun restaurant).

Yesterday I got in 16 miles on the bike and I probably shouldn't do this but I skipped lunch entirely.  I was out running errands most of the afternoon, which makes it easier - if I'm sitting at home (or at my desk at work) it's much harder to ignore hunger.

My wife is concerned I am losing too much but maybe she's just saying that to be nice.  I have a physical scheduled for this afternoon so we'll see what the doctor has to say about it. 

Edited by TrentonMakes

Good Luck on the physical!!   NR46...I am printing that recipe...looks yummy..and I have a  big ol butternut squash at home.

My shoulder is killing me...between baking and reaching to put things on my passenger seat...and probably the original injury...OUCH...I am gonna slather on some icy hot tonight!!

petitepedal I hope you enjoy it...I liked it 

My wife and I like to pick a healthy recipe that we never had about once a week. Not all of the recipes get saved but this one is on the make again list. 

As for the weight loss I have not noticed much on the scale but I did have to buy some new jeans a size smaller. We have not been focusing on weight but just focusing on healthy.  

Been hitting the weights more now that it's winter.  Today was bike trainer and then run on the treadmill for the indoor duathlon. 

I shared the recipe with my Vegetarian  friend..we have a friend in common who was Vegan for a period...It sounds yummy..and I might just try it this weekend...only need the Cashews ....But  me love cheese...could not be a vegan,,, But again that recipe sounds yummy!

Trenton...huge marks for you!!! Congrats!!!

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I shared the recipe with my Vegetarian  friend..we have a friend in common who was Vegan for a period...It sounds yummy..and I might just try it this weekend...only need the Cashews ....But  me love cheese...could not be a vegan,,, But again that recipe sounds yummy!

Trenton...huge marks for you!!! Congrats!!!

Just step away from the cheese!  I love it too, but it is slightly on the eville side!  Only in excess though.  You should consider it a condiment.  Cheese is the spice of life, sorta.  Capsaicin - now that is the good stuff. :) Low cal AND kick-ass.

• Heart 1

57 minutes ago, FX_James_7.9 said:

that's great. I think you can get most of the benefits by cutting your meat consumption back 60-90 percent.

We cut back meat by about 60-70% and everything that has high fructose corn syrup. 

• Heart 2

Hay Petite

If you like cheesy you might like this one. I know I do.

http://vegetariangastronomy.com/2013/10/baked-spaghetti-squash-wcheddar-cheese-spinach-contains-dairy-contains-gluten/

baked spaghetti squash with spinach-2

Baked Spaghetti Squash w/Cheddar Cheese & Spinach (contains dairy, contains gluten)

Yield: makes one 9x13 glass tray

Serving Size: 1/6 of the tray

Ingredients:

• 5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash (from 1 large or 2 small spaghetti squash, recipe below indicates method to cook spaghetti sqash)
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup white onion, minced (optional)
  • 1/4 cup flour ( gluten-free option: rice flour)
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 6 oz. (~ 1 1/2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 4 cups baby spinach
  • Parmesan Cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
  • salt
  • pepper

Directions:

To Prepare 1 Large Spaghetti Squash:
To Prepare the Baked Spaghetti Squash Dish:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds (with a spoon or ice cream scooper), and bake on a baking sheet for about 25-45 minutes until tender (you should be able to pierce through the flesh easily). Note that baking times may vary based on the size and thickness of your squash. If you over-bake, the strands of spaghetti squash will become mushy (potato-like) when you scrape them out, so be sure not to over-bake them.
  2. Using a spoon, start to scoop out and separate the flesh of the spaghetti squash until all that remains is the outer shell. You'll notice that the flesh of the squash comes out in strands similar to spaghetti (hence the name "spaghetti squash").
  3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  4. In a large sauce pan, heat the butter and olive oil on medium heat.
  5. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
  6. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for a few minutes, stirring the flour/butter mixture occasionally.
  7. Slowly add the milk and whisk continuously on medium heat until the mixture becomes smooth and starts to simmer. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens in consistency. Make sure the sauce is thicker than a standard bechamel sauce. As a guide, the sauce is thick enough right when the sauce just starts to clump (just prior to this moment). In other words, the sauce should not pour out in a uniform stream. (see notes below)
  8. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese. Combine until smooth (i.e. the cheese should melt into the sauce).
  9. Season with salt and pepper.
  10. Add 5 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti squash and spinach leaves and combine.
  11. Transfer everything to a baking dish (such as a 9x13 glass tray) and sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan Cheese.
  12. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the dish is bubbly and the top is golden. Note that if you do not bake for long enough, the dish may be slightly runny because the water released from the spinach did not have enough time to boil off.
  13. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the dish to finish cooking. Sprinkle some fresh ground black pepper (optional) and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Notes:

Because of the addition of fresh spinach, this dish could come out quite watery If the white sauce is not thick enough prior to adding the squash and spinach. The water gets released from the spinach and will start to evaporate as the dish bakes in the oven. So by making the white sauce thicker in nature, you are lowering the total amount of liquid that needs to evaporate from the dish while baking.

Microwave Method: Wash the spaghetti squash. Poke holes (using a knife or sharp skewer) all around and place on top of a kitchen towel in the microwave. Microwave for 7 minutes. Rotate the squash 180 degrees so it cooks evenly. Microwave again for another 6 minutes. Adjust microwave times as needed (The exact times may vary depending on how large the squash is and how powerful your microwave is. To check whether the spaghetti squash is cooked through, you should be able to pierce through to the middle fairly easily.). Let the squash cool down. Cut in half lengthwise, remove and discard the seeds, and scoop out and separate the flesh of the spaghetti squash with a spoon until all that remains is the outer shell. You'll notice that the flesh of the squash comes out in strands similar to spaghetti (hence the name "spaghetti squash"). Note that the flesh should scoop out easily with a spoon. If not, then the squash may not be cooked all the way through.

http://vegetariangastronomy.com/2013/10/baked-spaghetti-squash-wcheddar-cheese-spinach-contains-dairy-contains-gluten/

www.VegetarianGastronomy.com

Nutritional Information Per Serving (see disclosure below): 274.4 Calories, 15.0g Fat (8.8g Saturated), 328.5mg Sodium, 21.1g Total Carbs, 2.6g Fiber, 9.0g Sugars, 13.4g Protein

Hey how is everyone doing during this season of eating??I am trying not to eat too much...My workout however, has suffered due to my sore shoulder...I am hoping to get back to walking or elliptical next week..trying to not overwork my right arm...the pain is starting to get better...so I hope that is a good sign.

I am still doing well, thanks. :) I think I have my eating much more in balance now.  Last night's dinner was a very small portion of leftover chili followed by a cut up large carrot with radishes and cucumber, then later some popcorn since that was not much.  I made another trip to the cheap produce place so we are well stocked with bananas (for Mrs. Bulk, I am only eating them because they are ripening quickly), blackberries, cukes, kale, collards, romaine. etc.  I slipped back in the occasional piece of cheddar and/or pepperoni, but I try to keep them small and stop myself from going back and back like I used to.  Same with nuts.  I just heard someone say that crunch is a good appetite suppressant, and I have always said that, that if I don't have crunch, I am going to be foraging too much until I get it!  That is one reason why I love carrots and radishes and nuts  - plenty of crunch without the huge calorie load of chips, cracker, Nestle's Crunch, etc. :D

I guess I had previously reached my goal of -12... as of this morning I'm down three more, to 247, so with no time to spare I managed the minus-15 in the original post.  

My BMI is around 25.2 and even though the doctor told me I was good, I still want to drop three more pounds, which will get me under 25, the low end of "overweight".  It may be arbitrary and it may not necessarily apply to someone of my height, but that was the goal I set for myself when the pounds started to come off and I want to get there.

I really think that some of my improved eating habits have been going on long enough that I can avoid putting a lot back on at Christmas, but we'll see.

Congratulations to everyone for the hard work.  And thanks, PP, for issuing this challenge, which was a big motivator for me. :D

• Heart 1