The woman that hit and killed cyclist in New Hampshire

captaincreep

This to me still says it all:

"So far, however, 20-year-old Darieann Hess of Seabrook, New Hampshire has not been charged for the accident.

But Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams tells WBZ-TV criminal charges are possible."

Charges are possible?  She murdered two people, likely while texting and charges are possible.
I'm gonna be sick.

What she did was as negligent (if not more) as if she stood in the middle of a street, closed her eyes, lifted an ar-15 to her shoulder and randomly fired off a few rounds.  How much trouble would she be in she did that, even if she didn't hit anyone?  Yet because it's driving a car and not shooting a gun, it's excusable to put everyone's life in danger?

Accidents happen, but that does not absolve one of responsibility, regardless of intent, intelligence or common sense.   The woman should be held accountable for her actions.

Agreed, but I also look at it from the view, that cyclist want to be considered and often are considered another vehicle.  So I try to look at it from the standpoint of what would be the charge if they hit another car and take the fact that it's our choice to pick the bicycle to ride which makes the injuries far worse.

Agreed, but I also look at it from the view, that cyclist want to be considered and often are considered another vehicle.  So I try to look at it from the standpoint of what would be the charge if they hit another car and take the fact that it's our choice to pick the bicycle to ride which makes the injuries far worse.

In Ohio, if she were to hit another car and cause the death of the occupants of the other car, it's vehicular homicide.  I think that's a fair charge in this case.

In Ohio, if she were to hit another car and cause the death of the occupants of the other car, it's vehicular homicide.  I think that's a fair charge in this case.

If that's the law, then yes, it is fair. 

• 5 years later...

I rode this century.  I think about it a lot.  They wanted to make it a tri-state century, so there was a small out and back section that started in NH, went into MA, then went on it's way through a loop.  When we tried to get back to NH, the road was closed and there were a lot of cops ahead.  We had no idea what happened.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

you sir are an imbecilic, slack jawed, googly eyed moran if I ever saw one.

It's 2019, Bub!  Kzoo is WAY past his internet skills prime, so I doubt he can even navigate this forum, let alone find a wayback machine to prove idiotic assertion.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's 2019, Bub!  Kzoo is WAY past his internet skills prime, so I doubt he can even navigate this forum, let alone find a wayback machine to prove idiotic assertion.

I have peeps for that - Ralph the king of dredge. 

And besides as a slack jawed whatever jsharr called you, I don't have to answer to you.

On 9/23/2013 at 6:51 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Pretty hard to believe that the cops let her go after driving without a license.  Sure, it might be harsh to throw her in jail, but I sure wish they would have!  Something like a psychiatric hold might have been in order.

Making it a capital crime is harsh.  25 to life is appropriate.

While coaching and teaching during one high school cross country season, my life was hectic with sick or injured relatives, etc. and remembering to renew my driver's license somehow fell through the cracks.

After the season, I paid the restaurant at which we held our awards banquet and since it was a few hundred bucks they wanted an I.D.  A waitress looked at my driver's license and said, "Do you realize your license is expired?"

It had been expired for a couple months and that scared the crap out of me. So I called the Motor Vehicle Administration the next day and was told there was something like a 9-month grace period for renewal (it's currently 180 days) - otherwise my insurance company would have been notified.

So, in Maryland, technically you still have a valid driver's license for 180 days after it has expired!  I'm sure that some other states have a similar policy.