Tampa City Council

goldendesign

are voting today on wether to limit the sale of alcohol to midnight except for some bars/nightclubs that have "earned" the right from the council for a special pass. The dopes. Now this doesn't cover the whole county obviously but it does cover Downtown, Channelside, and Ybor City area businesses.

For those of you not from, nor traveled here, the markets in question are large bar/club areas. The majority of their revenue doesn't start to come in until 11-midnight anyways. How are they going to make enough money to bother even being there if they can't sell a beer after midnight?

This is from a local paper: 

Okay, so technically the proposal would indeed change city code to make closing time midnight instead of 3 a.m. (Headline: Ybor City to shut down, become Factory Shops of Ybor!)Except then business owners can get a permit to stay open until 3 a.m., and as long as the bar remains a good citizen, get that permit renewed yearly.

So, if they are willing to pay for an extra permit, of which price hasn't been determined, maintains a "good" (arbitrary) standing with the city, and complies with all existing and new codes brought in then they may have the right to sell alcohol.

What say you? Is this a Orwellian grab at controlling the local fun juice and the establishments that provide?

are voting today on wether to limit the sale of alcohol to midnight except for some bars/nightclubs that have "earned" the right from the council for a special pass. The dopes. Now this doesn't cover the whole county obviously but it does cover Downtown, Channelside, and Ybor City area businesses.

For those of you not from, nor traveled here, the markets in question are large bar/club areas. The majority of their revenue doesn't start to come in until 11-midnight anyways. How are they going to make enough money to bother even being there if they can't sell a beer after midnight?

This is from a local paper: 

Okay, so technically the proposal would indeed change city code to make closing time midnight instead of 3 a.m. (Headline: Ybor City to shut down, become Factory Shops of Ybor!)Except then business owners can get a permit to stay open until 3 a.m., and as long as the bar remains a good citizen, get that permit renewed yearly.

So, if they are willing to pay for an extra permit, of which price hasn't been determined, maintains a "good" (arbitrary) standing with the city, and complies with all existing and new codes brought in then they may have the right to sell alcohol.

What say you? Is this a Orwellian grab at controlling the local fun juice and the establishments that provide?

It sounds like the cops and local gentrifiers are sick of the drunky lawn-pissers and such, and they want to shut the bars down without shutting them down.  They just want to kill them slowly over time.  They will regret it when the lawn-pissers come to their favorite places and get in fights there, and they will miss the tax revenue in that district.  Sounds like you got some tight-asses who hooked up with the RWNJ types to try and make young people behave like old people.  That blows. 

It sounds like the cops and local gentrifiers are sick of the drunky lawn-pissers and such, and they want to shut the bars down without shutting them down.  They just want to kill them slowly over time.  They will regret it when the lawn-pissers come to their favorite places and get in fights there, and they will miss the tax revenue in that district.  Sounds like you got some tight-asses who hooked up with the RWNJ types to try and make young people behave like old people.  That blows. 

I would almost bet that it isn't the RWNJs who are wanting to do this.  Sounds more like the LWNJs.  Why don't they start out by targeting the "problem" bars instead of affecting them all?  It's another 80-20 thing.  Lets screw the 80% who aren't a problem. 

I would almost bet that it isn't the RWNJs who are wanting to do this.  Sounds more like the LWNJs.  Why don't they start out by targeting the "problem" bars instead of affecting them all?  It's another 80-20 thing.  Lets screw the 80% who aren't a problem. 

Huh?  RWNJ's always want the wicked to conform to their expections (rather than their actions) by controlling others.  LWNJ's just want everything allowed, although I am not sure what is nutty about wanting the government to be hands-off of personal liberties.  I think it is more the 10% who are causing the problems, though, and the 10% that are agitating things.

Huh?  RWNJ's always want the wicked to conform to their expections (rather than their actions) by controlling others.  LWNJ's just want everything allowed, although I am not sure what is nutty about wanting the government to be hands-off of personal liberties.  I think it is more the 10% who are causing the problems, though, and the 10% that are agitating things.

The only solid argument for this action other than a blatant grab for more control was one councilwoman citing a shooting fatality in a night club from 2010. That club was barely operational then and closed shortly thereafter.

Most of the venues in question run an upscale operation either going for high-end plush (channelside) or vintage/historic atmosphere (hence "Historic" Ybor) 

I hope the mayor Bob Buckhorn steps in as he is very progressive and forward in promoting our city.

I hope you got that backwards on purpose.  LWNJs are all about control.  Not saying RWNJs are that much better though.