Bacon and sausages as big a cancer threat as cigarettes

Road Runner

:(     https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bacon-sausages-big-cancer-threat-083910518.html

The World Health Organisation is planning to declare that bacon, sausages and other processed meats cause cancer.

The announcement is expected to list the fry-up favourites in the same category as arsenic, asbestos and cigarettes.

Red meat will also be declared “probably carcinogenic to humans”, and will be ranked as only slightly less dangerous than preserved products, according to a Daily Mail source.

Processed meat, which include pastrami, salami, hot dogs and some types of sausages is made by smoking, curing, salting or adding preservatives.

The World Cancer Research Fund said: “There is strong evidence that eating a lot of these foods [red and processed meat] increases your risk of bowel cancer.”

Bowel cancer is the second most common cancer in Europe and the third most common worldwide, according to Cancer Research UK.

It is also the second most common cause of cancer deaths in the UK, accounting for ten per cent of all deaths from cancer. 

The NHS website says that evidence shows there is “probably a link between eating red and processed meat and the risk of bowel cancer”.

“People who eat a lot of these meats are at higher risk of bowel cancer than those who eat small amounts,” it adds.

According to the Mail, the decision by the WHO was made following a meeting and review of available evidence by scientists from ten nations including the UK.

But the decision, expected to be announced on Monday, could have a serious financial impact on farmers and the food industry.

Betsy Booren, of the North American Meat Institute, said recently: “If they determine that red and processed meat causes cancer – and I think they will – that moniker will stick. It could take decades and billions of dollars to change that.”

Bacon gives me reflux, but I love it.  I don't eat much of it because of it, though. I love red meat, it is the tastiest meat there is (ina grocery setting).

...try the Italian version, pancetta, which is cured using a different process. Not suggesting you make youir own, just find some for sale and see if you react the same way.

...the debate on nitrates and cancer continues.  Certainly eating a lot of meat on a regular and prolonged basis seems to have some statistical association.  But as you say, nutrition and cancer studies remain more or less in the dark ages in terms of hard science and causation.  I am uncomfortable with statistical studies that seem to overreach in their conclusions.:(

At this point I am convinced that everything causes cancer and one only has to live long enough to find out which one gets you,

...one of my teachers once pointed out to me that he could run a study and induce a statistical probability of cancer in mice by rubbing them with distilled water. The constant rubbing being apparently enough to cause a few cases more than in the controls.  It may have been apocryphal. :)

...one of my teachers once pointed out to me that he could run a study and induce a statistical probability of cancer in mice by rubbing them with distilled water. The constant rubbing being apparently enough to cause a few cases more than in the controls.  It may have been apocryphal. :)

I never rub my mouse with distilled water.  However, I do wipe it off from time to time to get rid of the crud.

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might think that there is a worldwide movement to get people to stop eating pork and beef and to stop drinking sodas of any type.

I have seen a ton of bad press lately on sodas.  Everybody is blaming sodas for obesity.  Even diet sodas.  But beer is okay, just colas are evil.   :blink:

If you actually read the article it is due to the processed meats. why do people get so threatened and defensive when they learn about threats from our crappy food supply?

Red meat was categorized differently than processed meats.  Apparently, unprocessed cow has gloom and doom all over it too.

processed, treated,  hormonized,  antibiotic BS american red meat or grass fed bison? there's a difference. if you're eating a hamburger you generally don't give a damn

They labeled all the other meats as processed.  They labeled "red meat" as "red meat".

And heck, I'd rather eat meat processed the way it is now than as described (accurately) in Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" a hundred years ago.

why do you think what you're stuffing your greedy maw with is any different in 2015?

It doesn't have nails in it, and one would hope it has a lot less rat turds and bits of human fingertips.

The Jungle resulted in the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act, which itself later resulted in the FDA.

EDIT: "my greedy maw"?  Remind me how you know my personal eating habits.

Edited by LoneWolf

I'd rather we all treated each other with respect.  Just sayin'.

So I hope you have a lovely evening whether we agree on any of this topic or not. :)

Well said

Moderation, lots of variety, keep moving and chocolate chip cookies. Made with butter. Real butter, not oleo.

• Heart 3

Yes and a few years ago they announced that cooking meat on hot metal caused cancer.  Mine was caused by sunlight.   I have living proof in my house that it's strongly tied to genetics too.

At this point I am convinced that everything causes cancer and one only has to live long enough to find out which one gets you,

This.

Yuppers.

The thing is, they twice in the article refer to those who eat "a lot"

Define "a lot" 

I am sure (read that as 'hope') if they come out and issue the statement, they'll be more accurate.

This too.

This life is terminal. 

In making the most of the time we are given - health wise - moderation is key.

No one gets out alive.

Enjoy your life as best you can.

Think about how much food rotted in warehouses and in storage before proper preservation came along. Seriously....what was the average lifespan a century and a half ago vs today?

Medicine plays a huge part, but, don't ignore the fact that more varieties of fresh or preserved food stuffs are available today.

I'm not crazy about the GMOs and growth hormones plus antibiotics, but think of the billions of souls on this planet that need to be fed.

The "shop local" ideal just doesn't play well in the whole scheme of things.

Is there any reason you feel so threatened you need to be this abrasive with everyone?

The reason is it's much easier to get reaction out of someone by calling them names than it is to persuade them through an intelligent and cohesive series of logical statements. 

Such abrasiveness, and in particular name-calling, isn't an indication of a keen or quick mind.  After all, it's pretty much how children in kindergarten carry out their 'debates'.

• Heart 3

here ya go, bacon flavored pop tarts, natural schmatural

Pop-Tarts have 5 new flavors on the horizon

(WANE) It’s about to get “Crazy Good” with five new Pop-Tarts flavors.

Pop-Tarts confirmed Friday when it tweeted, “It’s real and they’re coming in December.”

Starting in December, Kellogg’s will add bacon, watermelon and pink lemonade to its Pop-Tarts flavor list, according to an article tweeted out by the company from Delish. Kellogg’s has released more than two dozen flavors since it started out in 1964, including PB&J.

Do these flavors sound fantastic or flawed?
FantasticFlawedI'll have to try them first.

Three new flavors hit the shelves this winter and two more will be added in the spring. Bacon lovers can get their fix with the new Maple and Bacon Pop-Tarts. The bacon sensation will have salt and smoky flavored “crunchlets.”

Other Pop-Tarts flavors on the horizon include Frosted Watermelon and Frosted Chocolaty Caramel. Those three will be offered for a limited time.

Spring inspired flavors will roll out in 2016 with new limited edition Frosted Spring Strawberry– out early in the year– and Pink Lemonade Pop-Tarts, which is expected to come out in April. The new strawberry pastry is a twist on the original flavor with a fun cartoon painted on the frosting.

http://wane.com/2015/10/24/pop-tarts-have-5-new-flavors-on-the-horizon/

but as a society bad food choices affect us all because of the burden on the medical industry. it's avoidable

The "burden on the medical industry"?  Not sure what that means, but I prefer a society where people be allowed to make their own personal choices, good or bad.  You are going to be a "burden" on the medical industry at some point.  If you make the wrong choices and die young, you are no longer a "burden".