Bacon and sausages as big a cancer threat as cigarettes

Road Runner

but as a society bad food choices affect us all because of the burden on the medical industry. it's avoidable

Lots of things are avoidable.  However, we as a species are fallible to a litany of bad from a litany of directions.

I could approach this from one direction --that there are a litany of other places I'd start than bad food.  Like no food.  Hunger.  Poverty.  Lack of education.

I could also go one further, and say that we are given the ability to work to overcome bad --but that is helped by another ability we need to work hard on.  The ability to form a positive community.  Perhaps what we should start with is as much *not avoiding*.  Not avoiding the need to be civil is one of the most basic building blocks on which to start, in my opinion.  Civility breeds respect.  Respect breeds respectful discourse, and discourse drive actions which breeds change.

• Heart 1

throwing away your health to satisfy gluttony isn't good for society's health either. healthy eating choices equals a healthier society and planet. We need to eliminate the artificial things we put into food and eat less meat, less sugary and processed food. the overpopulation problem isn't helping matters at all

• Heart 1

Your argument is flawed because only some of your points have accuracy.

You know nothing about my health, or whether I'm a glutton or not, so you cannot make such an assertion.  And you're arguing minutiae compared to larger matters in life.  And then you jump far across the board to overpopulation.  Oh, and by the way, I never claimed that Pop Tarts were natural, so I don't know why you're trying to rebut an argument I didn't make.  I simply said the original study said "red meat" - they defined processed meat as a completely different category.

Technically, one could argue that the very food problem you're complaining about takes care of overpopulation if all of these studies are correct --it just takes too long.  And it only works at the echelons of society where people can afford such food.  You might say that poor people tend to purchase these.  But that's the poor on one level --there's another level where people can't afford food at all. 

From another angle, I could argue that if processed food is so bad, why do we have the overpopulation issue you claim we do?

i wasn't talking about you and I don't know what you weigh, I was generalizing about the modern american diet and the huge rate of obesity.

just because people live long enough to reproduce doesn't negate the unhealthiness of it. the sooner we get a handle on the obesity and overpopulation problem the better.

a good example would be the recent elimination of hydrogenated oils in foods

I am a glutton, I like to eat a lot.  Some days I just eat morning to night. I ate a whole pizza last night, could have fed three people with it.  I don't care about other hungry people, they weren't with me last night and it felt good to keep eating, so I did.

I was wishing there was a good doughnut shop in town, but there isn't.  I considered driving 30 minutes each way to get to one that I found, but was actually too lazy for that.  I went to yoga instead, because it was closer.  There is real human nature for you, didn't want to take the extra time to drive because I hate driving, but would have without a second thought to the environment if I really wanted those doughnuts.  That yoga seems more lazy than driving only points to how much I dislike driving.  

Anyway, doughnuts are good, salt is good, fat is good.  We are wired to like that stuff, and we are wired to eat a lot of it.

• Heart 2

the sooner we get a handle on the obesity and overpopulation problem the better.

Overpopulation.  The 7.2 billion pound elephant in the corner.  Why don't we focus on this?  Much more important to the health of the world than whether or not you eat bacon a couple times a week.

Overpopulation.  The 7.2 billion pound elephant in the corner.  Why don't we focus on this?  Much more important to the health of the world than whether or not you eat bacon a couple times a week.

it all depends on the bacon and what you're health is like. the last thing an obese unhealthy person needs is factory animals full of nitrates and preservatives.

Bullshit!  My Gramps lived to 97 eating sausage every day.  

Our environment is totally toxic as a whole. I think pointing at bacon is a flawed process.  We should point at companies like Dow, Monsanto, and Exxon, etc. ...

my grandfather lived to be 95 smoking unfiltered pall malls from the age of 16

so cigarettes aren't bad either.

throwing away your health to satisfy gluttony isn't good for society's health either. healthy eating choices equals a healthier society and planet. We need to eliminate the artificial things we put into food and eat less meat, less sugary and processed food. the overpopulation problem isn't helping matters at all

Dammit.  I hate it when I agree with you.  :2:

You fools! :rolleyes:

How can you quibble about about such small matters when Doom is racing down upon you!?!?  How vain, how self-centered of humans to speak of mere physical obesity in these difficult times!

I speak of the impending Digital Massacre, which threatens not only mankind in his many forms of unsightly obesity, but the entire planet!

Indeed, you very well know how digital devices proliferate into our daily lives.  You need no scientific studies - you can see with your own eyes.  All those digital devices need power, and the power they'll consume will grow ever higher and higher.

All the Internet is powered by servers.  Did you know that every kilowatt a server consumes requires nearly a kilowatt of air conditioning power to take that heat away, before the server cooks in its own waste heat?  And all that heat is wastefully dumped into the environment?  This will only get worse as humans become more and more dependent on electronic devices, especially now that everything is in 'the cloud'. 

Scientists predict this heat will surpass any previous predictions of the earth's warming by August 19th, 2042 at 2pm, leading to the destruction of our earth as we know it.

Therefore, all of you must stop your digital gluttony, reduce power consumption, and embrace the principles of this new movement: to Bar the Information Technology Explosion for Mankind's Environment!

Principle the First:  All pictures and videos posted on the internet must be 'socially responsible' - pictures of mistreated elephants, clear cut Amazon rain forests, people raising awareness.  No selfies. No cat videos.  No chicks in bikinis threads.

Principle the Second:  All content will be raw and unprocessed.  Inspiration Bot - you're fired.  All material must be your own to eliminate wasteful and endless repetition of what's already been said.

Principle the Third: No one shall ever use "Reply to All".  This is digital obesity in its worst form, and a pox upon mankind.  It acts as a digital preservative for some of the most useless information ever written.

Principle the Fourth:  Twitter 'tweets' are hereby limited to 17 words and two tweets per week.  With so few words people will place much less sugar coating on their tweets.  And besides, 99.7% of people are just not that interesting to need more.

Principle the Fifth: FaceBook is hereby re-named FaceStickyNote.  Reducing from a 'book' format to a 'sticky note' format will remove 90% of all artificial content.

With these principles we will all become healthy and responsible internet users, and at the same time relieve the information technology industry of a huge burden. 

The board of directors at Bar the Information Technology Explosion for Mankind's Environment declare this program best for our society, and only selfish and narrow-minded people will criminally refuse to join in this great effort.  The most wise of you, those who place society's needs ahead of your own narcissistic interests, those of you who are weary of the wanton stuffing of digital pap down your maw - you will join all your friends and neighbors in making this planet safe not only for man but for all the earth's noble creatures!

• Heart 1

Hickory Smoked Duroc Bacon

Old breed bacon from Indiana.

Greg Gunthorp and his family have a small pasture-based livestock farm in northeastern Indiana where they raise pigs, chickens, ducks and turkeys. Greg's not a Johnny-come-lately to raising animals naturally. His fourth generation farm never added chemical inventions to its practices in the first place. "We never use antibiotics, hormones, growth promotants or animal by-produts in our feed,”  Greg told me.

Greg raises Duroc hogs; an old breed whose heritage goes back to the 1800s. Durocs are famous for their flavor. A friend of mine once described it—accurately—as almost a beef-pork blend, like the delicious result of a transgression between a pig and a cow.

Gunthorp bacon is dry cured for a week with a simple dry rub of salt and brown sugar. It’s smoked over hickory logs (not chips) for twelve hours. That leaves it lightly smoky, just a little sweet and all the way delicious. 

Ships frozen.

Bacon maniacspick up our Bacon All-Stars refrigerator magnet.

Hickory Smoked Duroc Bacon

M-HKD 1 LB, SLICED

It's pretty much a fact that breathing causes cancer and death, as 100% of people who get cancer breath and 100% of people who breath die.

So just stop breathing and you will leave forever.

• Heart 1

OK! This was a fun thread until I heard the food nazis are going after my hotdogs now too. Whats next? Baseball? Apple Pies? Chevrolets? Nobody better lay a finger on my hotdog.:angry:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/processed-meat-can-cause-cancer-who-says-red-114001072.html

th (4).jpg

...amen, bro.  You just do not want to know what ends up in a hot dog.:(

• Heart 1

a good example would be the recent elimination of hydrogenated oils in foods

Would it be a good example if I pointed out that the main reason people were taking in so many hydrogenated fats is because this same organization (or one just like it) went around telling everyone that butter is evil and margarine was the cure for all your ills?  Should we allow such a fallible process to dictate what people can and can't eat?

• Heart 3

Comparing meats to the cancer risk of cigarettes and alcohol is a gross over-exaggeration. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/world-health-organization-processed-meats-cause-cancer_562e1144e4b0aac0b8fd51b2

PARIS, Oct 26 (Reuters) - Eating processed meat can lead to bowel cancer in humans while redmeat is a likely cause of the disease, World Health Organisation (WHO) experts said on Monday in findings that could sharpen debate over the merits of a meat-based diet.

The France-based International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the WHO, put processed meat such as hot dogs and ham in its group 1 list, which already includes tobacco, asbestos and diesel fumes, for which there is "sufficient evidence" of cancer links.

"For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal (bowel) cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meatconsumed," Dr Kurt Straif of the IARC said in a statement.

Red meat, under which the IARC includes beef, lamb and pork, was classified as a "probable" carcinogen in its group 2A list that also contains glyphosate, the active ingredient in many weedkillers.

The lower classification for red meat reflected "limited evidence" that it causes cancer. The IARC found links mainly with bowel cancer, as was the case for processed meat, but it also observed associations with pancreatic and prostate cancer.

The agency, whose findings on meat followed a meeting of health experts in France earlier this month, estimated each 50 gram portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18 percent.

The IARC, which was assessing meat for the first time and reviewed some 800 studies, does not compare the level of cancer risk associated with products in a given category, so does not suggest eating meat is as dangerous as smoking, for example.

Health policy in some countries already calls for consumers to limit intake of red and processedmeat, but the IARC said such advice to consumers was in certain cases focused on heart disease and obesity.

The preparation of the IARC's report has already prompted vigorous reactions from meatindustry groups, which argue meat forms part of a balanced diet and that cancer risk assessments need to be set in a broader context of environmental and lifestyle factors.

The IARC, which does not make specific policy recommendations, cited an estimate from the Global Burden of Disease Project - an international consortium of more than 1,000 researchers - that 34,000 cancer deaths per year worldwide are attributable to diets high in processed meat.

This compares with about 1 million cancer deaths per year globally due to tobacco smoking, 600,000 a year due to alcohol consumption, and more than 200,000 each year due to air pollution, it said.

If the cancer link with red meat were confirmed, diets rich in red meat could be responsible for 50,000 deaths a year worldwide, according to the Global Burden of Disease Project. (Reporting by Gus Trompiz; Editing by Andrew Callus and Dale Hudson)

• Heart 1

did you read it? it's not highly processed.

Gunthorp bacon is dry cured for a week with a simple dry rub of salt and brown sugar. It’s smoked over hickory logs (not chips) for twelve hours. That leaves it lightly smoky, just a little sweet and all the way delicious. 

Smoked food and cancer.

Abstract

Smoking is a well-known source of food contaminated caused by carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Epidemiological studies indicates a statistical correlation between the increased occurrence of cancer of the intestinal tract and the frequent intake of smoked foods. As observed during the last 10 years in a certain district of Hungary with a Slovenian population, the percentage of stomach cancer among all types of cancer is nearly twice as high (47-50%) as in Hungary altogether (29.9%). In this special district, predominantly home-smoked meat products are consumed. Using identical techniques, the authors investigated the contamination of smoked foodstuffs by carcinogenic, cocarcinogenic and other polyaromatic hydrocarbons in the German Democratic Republic and in Hungary. No significant differences have been found either in the average values or in the ranges of the benzo(a)pyrene (BaP) contents in meats smoked by industrial processes used in the GDR and in Hungary. In the GDR, industrially smoked foods contain on average 0.43 micrograms/kg, products smoked in handicraft workshops 0.76 micrograms/kg, home-smoked products 0.74 micrograms/kg. The mean BaP content of all smoked meat and sausage products amounts of 0.55 micrograms/kg. In Hungary, the following average values have been found: 0.6 micrograms/kg for industrially smoked products, 0.74 micrograms/kg for home-smoked products, the total being 0.7 micrograms/kg. The average BaP value of home-smoked (softwood) products of the Slovenian population in Hungary is as high as 4.16 micrograms/kg. Apart from this particular case, the techniques used in both countries permit the production of smoked meat and sausages with a BaP content of less than 1 microgram/kg.

...there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Every twenty years or so out comes another study warning of the risks of one kind of food or another and these invariably spark off threads such as this one. The one identifying eggs as a health risk many years ago was a case in point.....eggs...I ask you. If we have relied on any food source from the beginning of our time on earth then it has to be eggs, the most easily accessible food for primitive man. If the human digestive system hasn't evolved to handle eggs over the course of many hundreds of thousands of years, then we must be in deep doo-doo. I would imagine that red meat would also come into the same category as it too must have played a major part in our evolution and yet here we now have these warnings of its dangers.

It would seem to me that balance in all things, and that includes food, may be the answer and that would include bacon, sausage and smoked meats. I practise what I preach, and limit myself to one dry-cured rasher of bacon every twenty-five years with a small sausage shared with my good wife on our Diamond Anniversary.

• Heart 1

"Nitrates are naturally occurring substances that can be found in many vegetables, not just celery.  Other vegetables that contain high concentrations of nitrates include beets, endive, lettuce, parsley, radishes, rhubarb, spinach and turnip greens.  When nitrates are broken down by so-called good bacteria, they become nitrites.   This occurs when meat starts to age.  It also occurs when we eat anything that contains a nitrate whether it be a hot dog or a salad.  The good bacteria in our saliva converts those nitrates into nitrites as a natural part of the digestive process.

Nitrites do many positive things.  They prevent the growth of bad bacteria, such a C. botulinus, which can have significant negative impacts on human health.  They also give meat a healthy pink color and are the source of that distinctive deli-meat flavor.  

Nitrites have also been implicated in colorectal and other cancers, which is why consumers are so willing to pay a king’s ransom for any product that implies it’s nitrite-free.   There is considerable debate on how much of an impact the nitrites in processed meats have on cancer rates since in addition to processed meats and vegetables, nitrosamines (the carcinogenic compound produced from nitrates) can also be found in tobacco smoke, and some cosmetics and drugs.  

What is known is that nitrosamines can be neutralized by ascorbic acid, so a diet rich in vitamin C will have a greater impact on overall health than purchasing processed meats with labels designed to give you the impression that you’re not eating something you really are."

http://www.famousfritz.ca/?q=node/39