D.W. Field Triathlon

torch511

So this sunday was the last of my "events" in a season full of ups and downs. A ripped groin muscle and hernia sidelined me for the early part of the season after some early season runs and cycling crits. But after healing (and moving) I got back into shape and rebounded fairly well.

The D.W. Field Triathlon in Brockton, Massachusetts is a bit different as there is no swim and is replaced by a boating segment. Most people choose to use a kayak but a canoe is acceptable. The race is local and small and does not attract real talent, but the park in which it is held is a favorite of mine. I did much of my early cycling here and the park contains a hill that is iconic from those in this area called Tower Hill (I am currently ranked 4th on the hill on strava but if I uploaded my race data I'd bump up to 3rd). On laps 2, 3 and 4 you must negotiate a hairpin turn onto the hill slowing you down to about zero.

A loop around the park is about 3 1/2 miles so the 14 mile bike segment that starts the race will take you 4 times around. You hit the hill about a 1/10th of a mile from the start. Most of the park is fairly flat but there are 2 smaller hills right before the half way point. My top speed was on the 4th lap where we hit 32mph on a false flat downhill. I had hooked up at the beginning of lap 3 with a guy from a competing bike shop (he was part of a relay team) and while you can't draft, we took turns setting the pace. Together we came into transition 5th (him) and 6th (me). The transition area is gravel and since the team transition to kayak was in a slightly different place it made sense to give him the inside line and let him pull in a second ahead of me. I was in 4th overall for ironmen at that point.

The kayak segment is 2 laps around waldo pond. I've been in a kayak only a handful of times. I have done enough canoeing to get by and I used to guide white water rafting trips so I am no stranger to a paddle. Still my borrowed kayak was made for all day ocean padding and not for small ponds so I was fast on the straights but I lost ground on the tight corners. My second lap was much better than my first. Still I was shaking and exhausted when I pulled into transition. You are allowed a helper so my wife had my running shoes lined up on a towel along with socks (I can't run without socks). I threw them on and was off on my way.

The 4 mile run takes you for one last trip around the park. I took it easy in the first 1/4 mile and caught my breath then turned up Tower Hill one last time. I got passed by 4 runners. 2 of them were just runners in the park (It was closed to vehicles but not people) and the other 2 were relay team runners. I managed to average just under 8 1/2 minute miles which is pretty fast for me. Running is not my event.

Official results had not been posted yet but by my wife's count I finished 8th overall in the ironman category, 4th in age group (the 40+ age bracket is always the biggest). I was happy with my performance and thought it was a strong finish.

The event itself was as poorly run as it could be but I look forward to doing it next year. The course is fun and the park does not allow boating so it's the only occasion when you can take a boat on the pond. I definitely love doing triathlons more than anything else thought I'd rather do a swim. I look forward to next season. Training begins now!

My wife's count was a bit off. I finished 3rd in AG, 8th overall, 18th including teams, which is pretty good. I did have a lot of fun even though the event is so poorly run. Definitely the friendliest tri I've done.

Unfortunately I did not get to do MassInsanity. The early season injury and then the issues with my neighbor that necessitated the need to move in a hurry (see footnote) really sidelined me. The hernia surgery kept me off bike for 6 weeks. I really was not able to start training until the late July. I did a tri right after I moved (I did not want to but there was a team element and if I dropped then I would have ruined it for 9 other people) and I did horribly. I averaged 18.5 on the bike and had nothing left for the run. I think I limped in with an 11 minute mile. I struggled to keep up even on group rides but week after week I got stronger. But I never really got to train distance and my energy was spent doing event after event so I put riding across the state on hold. Plus, moving totally tapped all my cash reserves.

Going to attempt doing it again next year. Trying to get my event schedule in order for next year but it's going to be a busy year. 2 half ironman triathlons - 2 Olympic, 4 sprints, a half dozen road races, training crits, MTB races, 5ks, 10k's and some half marathons thrown in along with some radonnering, the Mt Washington Century and who knows what else I can stuff into the calendar.

**for those who missed it the guy who lived on the 3rd floor of the building tried to kill his girlfriend one night. Both of them were drunk but I heard the whole thing and was the one that called the cops and probably saved her life. She stayed with him though (sadly) - after that everyone in the neighborhood was calling the cops every time they fought and I would get the blame which made things "tense". It was like we were prisoners in our own home. All of the kids were scared to go outside and it was just unacceptable. Luckily a friend of mine was building a new house and was putting up his for rent so we snatched it up. This house is only 9 years old, very modern, very efficient, 3 times the size but the utilities are nearly half. 3 bedrooms, 2 full bath and the downstairs functions as an apartment for my oldest daughter. Large back yard, patio... we really got lucky. The neighborhood is pretty nice. The town is not the best, it is "depressed" but we live in the nicer section of it. The schools are much better than where we were.