The countdown is on

Rattlecan

• 4 weeks later...

Back to work next Wednesday for one week, and it`s over....at least for the winter.

I`ve   decided to leave it open to return for another season, and the company is good with that as long as it`s within six months.

They would certainly welcome me back after that, but it would be as a new hire, back to square one on benefits and safety rating.

I truly hope I have endured my last winter earning a living on the highway. It just wasn`t fun any more.

• Heart 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Welp, the farewell tour is done, the final trip is in the books, the truck is cleaned out and the keys turned in.

WOOHOO!!

This was my last set of wagons, just after hooking up in Montreal, bound for Toronto. 

2wlzj42.jpg

So, now it's on to the next adventure.

Congratulations RC!  More time to ride or full time wheel production?

• Heart 1

On 10/28/2015, 2:48:37, Square Wheels said:

Congrats!

5,711 more days for me.

about 4680 for me, but I think it might be earlier.

All of our bills are close to being paid off.  We will owe no one in about one year.  

However, I have MS, so insurance creates a huge problem for people like me.

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

about 4680 for me, but I think it might be earlier.

All of our bills are close to being paid off.  We will owe no one in about one year.  

However, I have MS, so insurance creates a huge problem for people like me.

'Scuse my ignorance but what happens in the US when you retire at 65? Does medicare cover hospitals etc?

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

'Scuse my ignorance but what happens in the US when you retire at 65? Does medicare cover hospitals etc?

I think that you need additional insurance, because of the excessive cost of care.  In my situation, MS drugs are the most expensive ones out there.  The retail cost for my drug is about 81K a year. Luckily, I have some good insurance, and have a copay subsidy through the drug company.  I fear that my care could go up, or not be covered as well in retirement.  Having a chronic condition ruins so many people financially.  It should not be like this.

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

You sign up for Medicare at 65.  It covers most of your medical bills.  Most people get or keep some sort of supplemental insurance to cover what Medicare does not.

and constantly i hear about politicians wishing to cut back on that program.  I'm not holding my breath thinking that it will get easier to deal with health costs.

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

and constantly i hear about politicians wishing to cut back on that program.  I'm not holding my breath thinking that it will get easier to deal with health costs.

Medicare has been very costly.  Doctors and hospitals can run needless or excessive tests and procedures and there seems to be little ability to review what is or is not required, patient by patient.  I used to accompany my Mother on her hospital stays and she always got lots of tests, more than seemed prudent to me.

Congratulations 

I'm hoping that in 2 years I can retire from the factory life. I will still have to do some kind of work to pay for insurance. 

After working at the same job for 30+ years I'm ready for a change. The insurance that we have were I work is the reason I still work there. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Several different types of medicare are available, but you have to pay for all but the A version that kicks in at age 65.  I've stayed with my insurance from work, and pay for it via my retirement.  I may be making some changes this month, but I am still mulling over the facts.  I would have to pay penalties to activate some of the Medicare options, and there is no guarantee, that their payments will not increase over time.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Basic medicare A covers hospitals and doctors that accept medicare A.

Medicare B is an insurance policy that you buy to pay for what A doesn't

Medicare C is an insurance policy that you buy to pay for what A and B didn't.

Medicare D is an insurance policy that you buy to pay for what A and B and C didn't.