Low fat diet

Road Runner

Fantastic work.  Strict diets are tough.  I speak from experience.

They are tough in the beginning but not so bad once you become immersed in them.  You eventually accept and even embrace the change, espcially if you are seeing positive results.  I can't imagine ever going back to my old heavily fat-laden diet.  I do kind of miss those big ol' oatmeal-raisin cookies I used to get from BJ's (full of saturated fats), but that's life.  :)

I have been losing weight on a diet that is pretty high in fat, although that isn't the staple part of it.  I just eliminated grains, sugar, and alcohol, everything else is a-ok.  I cheated and had ice cream last night.  I haven't slept well the last couple of nights, and I forgot the willpower part in my exhaustion.  Back on today, though.

IMO, both of those types of diets are really still just working through calorie restriction.  By eliminating one of the two most common characteristics of high calorie foods, fat and sugar, you greatly reduce your total calories.  I cut down on both fat and sugar because they make for high calorie foods and lost plenty of weight, plenty fast.  Now I can phase back into maintenance without any substantial changes other than allowing more leeway with the fatty, sugary foods.

Great work. Ornish is one of the few names out there that is on the right track (IMO). I'm so tired of all the gimmick diets. Ornish and only a handful of others are the harbingers of just "eating right" in the first place and forget this "go on a diet" BS. A lot of the diet/nutrition books that I've read (the ones that I believe are on the right track) reference Ornish quite a bit. He might be the harbinger of the "just eat right in the first place" movement. I bought his book, but haven't read it yet. Congrats!

• Awesome 1

Thanks for everyone's encouragement.  I wanted to post about the efficacy and ease of Dr Ornish's regimen for some time.  I was one of those who couldn't imagine life without my favorite fatty foods, such as beef, pork, cheese, butter/margarine, whole milk, fried foods of all types, desserts and, of course, fatty snacks.  

I would encourage others to try cutting out most of the fat (especially saturated fat) from their diets.  It isn't that hard to do initially and after just a short adjustment period, the taste and desire for fatty foods diminishes and it becomes not only easy, but a preferred way of eating.  

Your arteries will thank you.   :)

• Awesome 1

I started on my low fat diet, also known as the Dr Dean Ornish diet, about a year and a half ago.  It seems to be working well for me.  The interesting thing is that I thought I would really miss all of the fatty foods that I enjoyed for so many years, but it is actually just the opposite.  I no longer desire the food with the "bad fats" since I deleted them from my diet.  The thought of a juicy cheeseburger is almost disgusting to me now.  Of course, it means I have to construct most of my meals at home instead of eating out as I once did with great regularity, but it's okay.  My weight is down from 215 to 185 and my cholesterol and triglycerides are much lower.  My doctor says he is impressed.    

Awesome!

I'm sort of following Dr. Ornish as well.  I'd guess my fat consumption is somewhere between 15 and 20% rather than the 15% or lower he recommends.  I try to make sure I get plenty of Omega3's from fish and fish oils and generally eat vegetarian most of the time.  My wife is a devout carnivore, so we have some sort of meat every night, but I keep the portion size to about 3 oz.  

When we go out I'll get a salad or if we go to a Mexican restaurant, I'll get a bean burrito.

• 3 years later...
On 9/23/2013 at 9:53 PM, Road Runner said:

I started on my low fat diet, also known as the Dr Dean Ornish diet, about a year and a half ago.  It seems to be working well for me.  The interesting thing is that I thought I would really miss all of the fatty foods that I enjoyed for so many years, but it is actually just the opposite.  I no longer desire the food with the "bad fats" since I deleted them from my diet.  The thought of a juicy cheeseburger is almost disgusting to me now.  Of course, it means I have to construct most of my meals at home instead of eating out as I once did with great regularity, but it's okay.  My weight is down from 215 to 185 and my cholesterol and triglycerides are much lower.  My doctor says he is impressed.    

I prefer to call it "Good fat Diet". I've dropped 90 pounds since March 1st. (280 Down to 190 lbs.) Cholesterol is 136 (The lowest of my adult life... without Statins) and B.P. is normal. My overall fitness is about what it was in my 20's.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

I am down with eliminating cheeseburgers and such and we do pretty darn well at meals (Mrs. MK is on a fish and veggie kick) but snacking is the killer for me - nothing satisfies like pepperoni or cheese.  So what do you snack on?

Pretzels, peanuts and fruit, mostly apples.  Nuts, including peanuts, have fats, but they are supposedly the good fats.  Pretzels are typically very low in fats.  But I buy mostly these.

Related image

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

For some it is. I’ve been trying to gain weight with no luck so far.

Depends on what you're trying to gain.  If you just want weight, eat lots of carbs during all hours of the day.  That will add fat.

If you want more muscle, slowly start increasing your strength training along with increasing your protein intake.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Depends on what you're trying to gain.  If you just want weight, eat lots of carbs during all hours of the day.  That will add fat.

If you want more muscle, slowly start increasing your strength training along with increasing your protein intake.

Working on it.

• Heart 2

Ten years later...,

I still try to eat a diet very low in saturated fat.  I relaxed a little on "good" fats and I occasionally have a cookie.  :)

No fast food (burgers, pizza, etc) for ten years.  Lots of big salad meals, maybe 4 times a week.  Lots of beans and other high fiber.  No meat, except chicken.  Skim milk.  I remember when I first started drinking fat free milk.  I was not a big fan.  Now I can't stomach regular milk.  I had some 2% recently and I thought I was going to gag.  I also eat a slice of cheese about every other day, just for the calcium.  Another story, but calcium is a very important mineral that is woefully lacking in many peoples' diets (including mine for many years).  

BTW, I do not have @Longjohn's problem.  Low fat or not, I have no problem gaining weight.  :D  

• Envious 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Ten years later...,

I still try to eat a diet very low in saturated fat.  I relaxed a little on "good" fats and I occasionally have a cookie.  :)

No fast food (burgers, pizza, etc) for ten years.  Lots of big salad meals, maybe 4 times a week.  Lots of beans and other high fiber.  No meat, except chicken.  Skim milk.  I remember when I first started drinking fat free milk.  I was not a big fan.  Now I can't stomach regular milk.  I had some 2% recently and I thought I was going to gag.  I also eat a slice of cheese about every other day, just for the calcium.  Another story, but calcium is a very important mineral that is woefully lacking in many peoples' diets (including mine for many years).  

BTW, I do not have @Longjohn's problem.  Low fat or not, I have no problem gaining weight.  :D  

I had a cherry ICEE for breakfast today. They are delicious and ward off evil spirits. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 8 months later...