Opposite schedules

Dirtyhip

I actually enjoyed it when my wife and I were on different schedules.  When she was able to do the stuff I like to do we were always on the same schedule.  Once she was not physically able to do the stuff I like to do I stayed home and we really didn't do anything.  When she worked a different shift than me I didn't feel I needed to stay home, I got up in the mornings and either jumped on the bike or loaded up the kayak, or headed to the gym.

• Heart 1

I spent so much time away from my wife while in the service, that being on a separate schedule was still better than being gone all the time.

I agree though, now that my wife and I share not only the same hours but work at the same company (and in the same room) it would be tough to separate at this point.

• Heart 1

So is he on 12's or 8's?  If he's doing 12's it's only 3 nights a week, right? 

Yea, it is hard.  Especially when you guys are so used to being together all of the time.  Does he have a plan to try and switch to days when he is able?  Days will not be a whole lot better.  He won't be home until late and after a 14 hour shift you usually just want to eat and go to bed to be ready for your next shift.  At least it is only 3 days a week. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

My wife and I did that for a while. We were both on 12 hour night shifts on opposite rotations. Even though we were both off during the day, we never had a day off together. We did that for four months until my wife got a different job. Then she was on days and I was on nights, so not much better.

• Heart 1

So is he on 12's or 8's?  If he's doing 12's it's only 3 nights a week, right? 

Yea, it is hard.  Especially when you guys are so used to being together all of the time.  Does he have a plan to try and switch to days when he is able?  Days will not be a whole lot better.  He won't be home until late and after a 14 hour shift you usually just want to eat and go to bed to be ready for your next shift.  At least it is only 3 days a week. 

Yes.  3 x 12, is what he is doing.

He wants to get on days as soon as he can.  It may happen pretty soon.  I'm only going to remain working for a few more months.  I feel a move is imminent.   

• Heart 1

• 9 years later...