Wilbur

• 3 weeks later...

There should be a way to cancel a quoted reply before posting. Sometimes, I get started on a response, for one reason or another, I have to abandon it, or maybe change my mind, and decide not to post.

Try to post a reply to another thread, and guess where it goes. That's right, not where you intended it to go.

That's not necessarily the quote that is causing the issue.  In many ways the new editor is greatly improved.  One feature the very old editor had was it saved info to the database every x seconds.  That was post specific.  So, if you came back to a post later, there was a restore button that would get that saved post back.  The developers felt this was causing a lot of strain on the database to have it written to so much.  They changed that for this new technique.  It forces the browser to save the data in the form.  Then if your browser crashes the data should still be in the form, but as you detected, it is not post specific.

For now, there is no way around this.

On December 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Square Wheels said:

That's not necessarily the quote that is causing the issue.  In many ways the new editor is greatly improved.  One feature the very old editor had was it saved info to the database every x seconds.  That was post specific.  So, if you came back to a post later, there was a restore button that would get that saved post back.  The developers felt this was causing a lot of strain on the database to have it written to so much.  They changed that for this new technique.  It forces the browser to save the data in the form.  Then if your browser crashes the data should still be in the form, but as you detected, it is not post specific.

For now, there is no way around this.

That is interesting, and good to know that the developers are always thinking!  I think that would be awesome for many programs if the developers could have a blog or something telling you what they are thinking, because believe you me, that question OFTEN comes up when using lots of software. :D

One thing I just noticed, which barely even qualifies as a first world problem, is that the PM indicator, a closed envelope, is also used by Outlook to show unread mail.  I know that unread mail here shows up as a red number on top of teh envelope, which is great, but even so, all that conditioning from Outlook just made me look at the indicator and think "Shouldn't that be shown as an open envelope since I have no unread PMs (mail)?".

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

1 minute ago, The Inedible Bulk said:

That is interesting, and good to know that the developers are always thinking!  I think that would be awesome for many programs if the developers could have a blog or something telling you what they are thinking, because belieive you me, that question OFTEN comes up when using lots of software. :D

One thing I just noticed, which barely even qualifies as a first world problem, is that the PM indicator, a closed envelope, is also used by Outlook to show unread mail.  I know that unread mail here shows up as a red number on top of teh envelope, which is great, but even so, all that conditioning from Outlook just made me look at the indicator and think "Shouldn't that be shown as an open envelope since I have no unread PMs (mail)?".

Good idea on the envelope.  I'll suggest it to the developers.

As far as a blog, I sympathize with them.  If they say something vague like "We're considering adding feature..." then the masses rise up in a few weeks and say "You promised us we'd have feature xxx months ago, I hate you!!!".  They tried a few different road map ideas, some were good.  They have since retracted all of those and we get what we get.  They don't offer much into where they might be going anymore.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Good idea on the envelope.

OK, I retract this thought.  I searched for some icons so I could provide an example, and it looks like this is what they are doing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=unread+mail+icon&newwindow=1&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=899&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXpsOM0oPKAhVHRiYKHZoeD9oQ_AUIBigB

I saw icons like this:

Image result for unread mail icon