The coolest car you ever owned

Road Runner

2 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

What was probably my coolest car was a truck. Don't have any photos of it, but it looked like this

15ywuif.jpg

1962 econoline, 144 cid 6 banger 3 on the tree. Struggled to get over 50mph in a headwind.

No crumple zone in the old econolines. There is only a wind shield between you and the crash scene. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, The Inedible Bulk said:

That is amazing they had an all aluminum engine before the Vega - I guess it probably had iron sleeves?  That does sound like a cool car.  I loved my first car, a rusty old 63 Olds 88 four door in a sand metallic.  The 350 V8 was quite nice. :)  My dad was always an Olds guy but I started out as an MG guy, now a Honda guy since 1989. :)

It had iron sleeves, something they forgot on the Vega.  It was an amazing car, smooth and powerful even though the engine was small.  It had to have high test gas, cost 35 cents a gallon back when I had it. I sold it after I took it in for it's yearly Pa. inspection and they asked me how long the speedometer had been broke.  I told them it wasn't broke and they said I had less than two hundred miles on it that year. At the time I owned five motorcycles, the Olds, an International Scout and a cargo van/hippy wagon.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

....and a cargo van/hippy wagon.

...I forgot about the hippie bus, because it wasn't really a car.  That was by far the coolest internal combustion powered vehicle I've ever had.  Originally a 1948 Willys "Jitney" bus that had been repowered by the prior owner with a '51 Mercury flathead V8 and trans, with an added electrically operated overdrive.  Built in cabinets and range with sink, fold down couch in rear that turned into a huge double bed.

I put a stained glass window in the back.  I was stoned a lot in that bus. It went all over the place. :)

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I forgot about the hippie bus, because it wasn't really a car.  That was by far the coolest internal combustion powered vehicle I've ever had.  Originally a 1948 Willys "Jitney" bus that had been repowered by the prior owner with a '51 Mercury flathead V8 and trans, with an added electrically operated overdrive.  Built in cabinets and range with sink, fold down couch in rear that turned into a huge double bed.

I put a stained glass window in the back.  I was stoned a lot in that bus. It went all over the place. :)

What brand of auto pilot did you use back then?

7 hours ago, Page Turner said:

My hippy wagon started out a 65 Chevy forward control cargo van owned by a fruit company.  It took a lot of rubbing compound to get that Logo off the side of it.  It didn't have a passenger seat but by the time I was done with it nobody noticed. Lots of shag carpeting, foam, wood paneling, two stereo systems.  During it's later years it used a bit of oil, it was easy to check because the engine was right next to the driver's seat.  People riding with me the first time always freaked out because of the way those forward control vans turned.  I'm sure I had a lot of fun in that van, I don't remember much of it.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...
2 minutes ago, Zackny said:

I had a 69 Mercury Cougar convertible and a 68 Chevelle ragtop that I’d love to still have.

When I was a teenager I used to walk the couple of blocks to the Olds garage on Sunday mornings and sit in a 1968 Jade Green Cougar with tan leather seats.  Man, I loved that car! Can you believe they just left them open in those days. :D

• Heart 1

Many people still remember my 70 Charger. 383 Magnum. Plum Crazy with black vinyl top and factory matte black stripes. 
I got to meet more girls with the 73 Capri after that. Except for the stoplight Grand Prix, the Capri was more fun to drive. 
Our 99 Miata has probably surpassed it. Handling is telepathic. It’s not a drag racer, but don’t underestimate it. We get a lot of attention in the car. We had to get used to that! Pretty girls love it. I’m sure partly because WoW is usually with me. If I was single it might scream mid life crisis! We have had a lot of great adventures with and and many more planned!

1972 BMW Bavaria. 
First car.  Had it from age 16 until I was 37. And I was a dumbass for ever parting with it. Pop bought it new, I bought it from him for a grand when I got my license. It was a magical car, and the most practical sedan I ever owned. It had a stick and a decent suspension for the curves. Tons of room, comfortable seats, shitty AC, and the most elaborate factory tool kit that I’ve ever seen. It was in a drop down in the boot lid. Full wrench set, assorted screw drivers, pliers, a proper tool box. It retired with just shy of 600,000 on the odometer. 

My Miata was a close second. Had it for 20 years. Best minimalist sports car ever made, hands down, bar none. 

D34BBBD0-4A9D-4EB8-8167-BD1EC6A5A5DC.jpeg