Y2K. So long ago.

tybeegb

Walking the dogs this morning.  Cold (39F).  Sunny.  Thought of the New Year coming up.  Doesn't seem that long since Y2K.  Then I remembered all the planning, coding, testing, vendor code updates, PLCs, OS testing, and more testing.  I was in IT operations.  System management.  If the computers didn't work then what?  At the witching hour, we were all standing at the dry end of #7 paper machine.  Seemed like everyone was more worried about the machine staying up than anything else.  I was worried about the boilers, emissions, EPA reporting, the pulp system, the digesters, everything.  Not that they were my responsibility, but one of those quit and you could forget the paper machine.  I just needed for all the computers in the computer room to keep chugging along, as did the paper machines and everything else.  Which they did.  So after all of the New Year's Eve parties were over I dragged myself home for some much needed sleep.  Not even one drink.  So long ago.  I sure miss those days.    :P 

Many companies invested in generators and transfer switches in case the utility companies shut down.  Many people bought generators for their homes.  After the initial start ups and tests, many of them never ran under load again.  When commercial and industrial generators aren't tested under load, they slowly turn into just so much expensive junk.

Edited by Thaddeus Kosciuszko