? about fat bikes

Further

I was looking at fat bikes the other day and noticed the extremely low gearing. Talking to the sales guy I mentioned that on my Mt. bike, in granny gear, if I broke traction and spun a wheel for one pedal stroke I was dead. He told me that a fat bike doesn't break traction, just sit and spin up the steepest hill.      Is this true?

4 minutes ago, Further said:

I was looking at fat bikes the other day and noticed the extremely low gearing. Talking to the sales guy I mentioned that on my Mt. bike, in granny gear, if I broke traction and spun a wheel for one pedal stroke I was dead. He told me that a fat bike doesn't break traction, just sit and spin up the steepest hill.      Is this true?

As a roadie, my worthless and uneducated guess is that is correct, that there is no way to ever break loose a fattie tire short of ice.

29 minutes ago, Further said:

I'll let you know when I get mine

• Heart 2

I've only felt a little spin/loosening in the back a handful of times. Made me remember to keep my weight back on the rear wheel. I suppose, as with any off-road tire, tread also makes a difference, as does tire pressure.

Most of these bikes have a 22 chainring if they have a double. My small ring is a 28. ugh... That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.. Right? Right??

I'm running a 36/22 crankset and 11/36 cassette.  I have lost traction before, but only on a very steep snowy hill. On dirt, I have never lost traction. Traction is relative to conditions, right? I imagine on a very steep hill and loose dirt, it could break loose.  It is just less likely due to your contact patch of rubber.  I am cautious with fast hard turns on pave, but i am running studs right now.

• Heart 1