The Challenge part II

petitepedal

SODIUM....SALT   One of the reasons I have cut way back on frozen or take out/take & bale pizza and started making my own.  I could build a killer pizza and still have 1/2 as much salt on it..or less.

I don't do a lot of pre-fab foods like frozen dinners or packaged veggies.  I have done the bag o frozen seasoned chicken...and although I like the convenience of grabbing a chicken breast out of the bag and plunking it in a baking dish..and presto 40 minutes later..dinner.  Well..I bought a bag a few months ago..finally finished it the other day...just too salty.  I don't do canned soups either..

Okay..if I do popcorn...I like both salt & butter :whistle:  And I do use salt..a shake here or there especially when cooking veggies...but again..not lots and lots.  I haven't tried to monitor the sodium numbers..although myfitnesspal will spit out those numbers too. 

I eat pretty healthy over all...and I need to drop 20 pounds..I can't imagine the folks who eat frozen dinners, lunch meat and pizza...to say nothing of the fast food or restaurant food and sodium content...WOW...I have a friend who mostly "cooks" frozen dinners..yikes

Sodium and Sugar are two of the latest evil ones in the food line..just read a blurb on CBS about sodium

• Heart 2

On 1/9/2016 at 6:39 PM, Kzoo said:

What I do is skip breakfast and lunch about 3 days a week.  Sometimes two days in a row.  The trick is to eat regular portions otherwise.  One side effect is that my "stomach has shrunk."  By that I mean I don't need to eat as much to be full.  I can also enjoy fun foods without thinking about it.  I also don't get hungry often.  I'm currently doing a fast (for other than diet reasons. - like Zack is doing). It's a solid food fast.  I haven't eaten anything for the last 48 hours and am not hungry.  I'll break this fast tomorrow evening after 76 hours.  The basis for the diet portion is that our forefathers did not sit down to 3 meals a day.  Three meals a day is a relatively new first world concept.  They eat when they were able to find food or kill it.  The Donners didn't get 3 meals a day - bad example :):)

You are crazy.  The best way is to eat all day long.  More small snacks and less heavier meals, and your energy remains constant. At least this works for me.

• Heart 3

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are crazy.  The best way is to eat all day long.  More small snacks and less heavier meals, and your energy remains constant. At least this works for me.

I saw Jillian Michael's a few years ago.  She recommended exactly the opposite.  Three regular meals.  I of course, cannot stick to that.  I eat all of the time, including waking in the middle of the night and eating.

Well...I don't want to get into the sleep discussion because of the DAMN TRAINS...however, I am sleeping better right now with the windows all closed tight..also train whistles sound really strange when the temp is -10  :P   Yes...I seek out more food/snacks when my sleep is not good.  My theory is to not let myself get too hungry and portion control.  So smaller portions :nod head: and if dinner is gonna be late...eat a apple or some kind of snack so that when I do sit down to eat...I don't go crazy and eat enough for 3 people . :whistle:

• Heart 1

Things that I am eating less of!!  Starting thinking about it this morning. I am sure I could come up with a few more things if I tried...but dang I think I have done pretty good cutting back..Today is day 9 without any wine...not sure how long that will last..trying to cut back..not out!!

Diet Coke...no longer daily maybe once or twice a week

Cheese sticks... often a go to snack at work..for awhile 2 a day...I think I have had 1 in the last 3 or 4 weeks

Subway or Jimmy John's - Since the end of September..I have had 1...maybe 2 Jimmy John's...use to have at least 1 if not 2 on the weekend (lunches on Saturday & Sunday)

Frozen or Take & Bake Pizza...for awhile this was weekly..especially on a Friday after the work week..not sure what to cook or when I was sick last winter and too tired to care.  I had 1 take and bake in December...but I rather like doing my own thing..way less salt

• Heart 1

Lest I be called a slacker :D - I rode the bike (outside) this weekend.  Twice!  A dozen miles yesterday, upper 40s and I was quite comfortable.  Another 9 miles today with 35 degrees - I pretty much wore the same thing but it was OK.  Burned some 800 calories.

And this morning I weighed in a shade under 246.  BMI of 25.1..... tantalizingly close.

I made a big chicken pot pie for dinner.  With a scratch pie crust.  If I have a "specialty" dish it is either chicken marsala, or this.  I could have eaten the whole thing.  I didn't, and behaved myself - but the leftovers are still calling me from the fridge.

• Heart 2

I am enjoying "Evening in Missoula" a night time tea.  Friday night, we did Happy Hour at my neighbors and I had  wine..too much..Saturday, I went to a post Christmas party and had a much more reasonable portion of wine..Back to  no wine.  I need keep the wine as a social thing and it will help the weight loss...One of my neighbors said she thought I looked a bit thinner...I gave her a hug....but I am not sure she is so correct :whistle:  I missed my Friday workout..forgot my clothes and didn't have enough time to come home and go back out again and make the dinner on Friday night...As to Saturday & Sunday...I just decided to hibernate in our cold.  I will hit the gym...probably tomorrow night after I drop Kirby back at her hotel..and I think my neighbor and I will be going back to Yoga...Yay...

Well..not only did my neighbor say she thought I lost weight..one of our newer residents said the same...either I am losing or changing my shape/fit level...I will take that for now :D 

we started yoga again tonight..after about 6 weeks off.  Looks like work outs will be MWF & a weekend day..yoga on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

• Heart 3

19 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Well..not only did my neighbor say she thought I lost weight..one of our newer residents said the same...either I am losing or changing my shape/fit level...I will take that for now :D 

we started yoga again tonight..after about 6 weeks off.  Looks like work outs will be MWF & a weekend day..yoga on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

good job petite!

My diet hasn't been too bad this week...and I did yoga 2 nights...but only made the gym on Wednesday....Thinking with Yoga added workout at the gym might be either Saturday or Sunday depending on my weekend plans and Monday & Wednesday....Fridays I can be kinda beat.  Oh and with the possible bike trip....I need to get the den in order and get a bike on the trainer in the next couple of weeks!!  for at home fun!!

• Heart 1

Why is it that when I'm eating a salad or something else that is healthy at work some people have to say something. 

Today I had some kale chips sitting on top of my toolbox that I was snacking on someone  had to tell me how a bacon cheese burger would be better.

When I was eating a Jimmy John's  lettuce wrap someone just has to say something.

I try to just ignore them but sometimes I feel that I have to say something.

I have two co-workers who are human garbage machines...They eat cookies and baked goods like crazy..especially at our 9:30 break..What drives me crazy is they try to push it on the rest of us..the one guy...every day.. The do not get the "I am trying to watch what I eat" concept...

Tired from the lack of sleep..I had 2 diet cokes today..and we had a program with cookies this afternoon..I had two vanilla lemon sandwich cookies.

I made it to the gym and put in 25 minutes on the elliptical..but then headed home..just exhausted!!

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I have two co-workers who are human garbage machines...They eat cookies and baked goods like crazy..especially at our 9:30 break..What drives me crazy is they try to push it on the rest of us..the one guy...every day.. The do not get the "I am trying to watch what I eat" concept...

I try to tell the coworker that always has to question what I'm eating that like eating healthy. He doesn't understand why someone would do that. 

I tried to explain to him that if I had a choice between a bacon cheese burger or a salad I would take the salad every time.

I don't care for fatty greasy foods and what's with the fasanation with putting bacon on everything. 

13 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Okay..the scale isn't moving..but the shape is changing...My tights fit better, my skirt fits better...and tonight in shoulder stand..I could tell there has been a change...YAY...

However, it is just a small step on the journey!!  I have a ways to go.

:2:

We still try a new recipe once a week.  This was are pic for clean eating recipes last night.

Easy, healthy, one-skillet meal that is delicious! 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme Approved | Container Counts on Blog | Clean Eats | Easy Dinner Recipe | Healthy Dinner | Paleo | Gluten Free | FitMomAngelaD.com:
healthy ranch chicken skillet
Prep Time:10 min Cook Time:15 min Total Time:25 min
Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 pound thin sliced chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large zucchini, chopped
  • 1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup instant brown rice (uncooked)
  • 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Fresh cilantro, for garnish
Ranch Seasoning
  • 1 tsp Dill
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp dried minced onions
  • 1 T parsley
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
Instructions
    In a 12" skillet, heat oil on medium high. Add chicken, onions and ranch seasoning blend. Saute and stir often for 2 minutes.
    Stir in bell peppers, zucchini, beans, tomatoes, rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover. Simmer on low for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and rice is tender.
    Sprinkle cheese evenly over skillet, cover and let stand for 5 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
    Top with Cilantro and serve!
21 Day Fix Counts
  • 1 serving= 1/4 of the skillet!
  • 1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow, 1 1/2 Green
fit mom angela d - team beachbody coach http://www.fitmomangelad.com/

Well...not doing too well this week...Did Barley John's & the Brits on Monday...but that was cool talked to at least 2 people who have the the GAP & C& O...but ate a burger & fries and had wine...and last night I let the impending snowstorm send me into the arms of a frozen pizza and wine (it was a nice red wine)...

Going to get back on the food track...but skipping the gym tonight just because of the snow/drive thing...roads are better but I am just not into it  :(

21 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Had a good workout tonight..part of me wants to work out longer and harder...but I have to make myself get to the gym on the weekend to do that...a 30 to 40 minute cardio workout and  a few weights is the best I can do after my work day...and heck any workout is better than none.

I can't bring myself to go to the gym after work at all.  I really should join you guys on this.  I need some motivation and accountability. 

• Heart 2

I am not thrilled with working out after work..but on the other hand... I sure as heck am not going to go before work...and at this time of year when it is dark so soon..I am not going out at 7 PM to work out either.  I have found the best option is immediately after work and keep it basic..tonight was 30 minutes on the elliptical and then some arms and abs weight stuff.  Last year about this time my neighbor and I got into yoga..and we started working out twice a week..we kept that up for several months.  We are trying to get back on track again...it was nice when we went to our building party room..lots of space and well it seemed to work for us...then the board decided we couldn't do yoga in there (I won't write it...but think naughty word here)..So we do yoga at my house..if we are on track it is on Tuesday and Thursday...

Yup...I think of this as being motivation and inspiration...but not much participation lately...we did better before Christmas!!...even a once a week check in by folks would be appreciated.

• Heart 2

Aside from a 12-mile ride last weekend I haven't been exercising much lately... I haven't ridden the trainer since I came to the realization that even in 35 degree weather, I'd still rather be outside (just not for more than 45 minutes or so).  35 degrees will seem like a warm happy dream this weekend - Saturday's forecast high is 17 with wind chills around 0, so I'll try to get back on the trainer.  I'm getting to know how I need to eat to maintain my current weight in the absence of exercise - going OK so far.  Still at 246 as of this morning.  I have noticed I've lost some leg muscle tone.... but it will come back.

well, I have two things to say:

(1) I have finally broken that arbitrary-yet-still-somehow-magical BMI barrier of 25.  This morning's weight of 243.5 = BMI 24.8.

(B) All it took to get there was a day and a half of some GI distress.  So I suppose this won't last.  But for now I'll enjoy not hearing the little Wii voice say "that's overweight!"

Feeling good now.  Gotta go eat and drink something.

• Heart 2

I have not been doing well with the wine...did much better in January :(  But headed back on track...I sleep better without wine..and well..no lethargic  day after feelings...AND alcohol increases the hormones that make you gain weight..add to that my Rosacea...duh letting go of the ine is way better for me....

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a 22-mile ride on Saturday, then yesterday I rode with the kids to the neighborhood school where we played basketball for an hour.

We had friends stop by yesterday morning and we had a big brunch - I had a nice breakfast burrito with eggs, cheese, turkey sausage and Sriracha, plus a couple buttermilk pancakes... then we all indulged in an incredibly rich, dense and delicious cake our 12-year old daughter made all by herself - four thin yellow cake layers with chocolate mousse filling, buttercream frosting, and a strawberry topping.  It was amazing but I almost couldn't finish the slice she gave me... stuffed to the gills.  To make up for it I had a giant green salad for dinner, with one leftover chicken thigh sliced up on it.

It's still working - 243.5 again this morning. :D

• Heart 1

I understand completely..Sometimes you also think eating something....will help you stay awake....

I need to be firm with my portion control....and I need to care...sometimes I don't care about what I eat or drink...and yeah sometimes I think it is mild depression...

But that sleep...it is a biggie.... What is the phone number for Canadian Pacific again ???? 

15 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I understand completely..Sometimes you also think eating something....will help you stay awake....

I need to be firm with my portion control....and I need to care...sometimes I don't care about what I eat or drink...and yeah sometimes I think it is mild depression...

But that sleep...it is a biggie.... What is the phone number for Canadian Pacific again ???? 

1-888-333-8111

Have you tried a white noise machine to help block the noise of the trains? I use a box fan for noise. 

It may be just in my head that I can't sleep during the day. I know that I'm not the only one with this problem. 

5 hours ago, petitepedal said:

It would have to be a damn big fan to block out the noise of a train whistle 1/2 a city block from your house  :whistle:

At work we have some pretty big industrial size fans. 

• Heart 1

• 7 months later...