I don't appreciate being a guest at someone's house and being served butter out of a plastic container

AirwickWithCheese

I do not want my butter choices limited or made for me.

Quality hosts serve real butter and in a way that says, help yourself to all the real butter you'd like. Not in a plastic container where people dip their spoons and God only knows what else when you're not watching them.

Real butter is showcased on the table and served with a knife.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

The only real way to do this properly is to:

1) Milk the cow in the backyard

2) skim the cream from the pail when it separates

3) Churn said cream with a little salt added for flavoring.

4) take resultant butter and pack it in a mold and refigerate it.

5) Serve on a porcelien dish that you threw yourself using a tibetan kickwheel and fired using real cherry wood for 36 hours to cone 10 with either a salt glaze or bicarbonate glaze.

• Heart 2

Making butter is a fun project to do with kids.  Fill a jelly jar about half way with milk (higher the fat content the better) then shake it for about 20 minutes.  The liquid remaining liquid is butter milk and you pour those off.  The solids are butter with no preservatives.

Making butter is a fun project to do with kids.  Fill a jelly jar about half way with milk (higher the fat content the better) then shake it for about 20 minutes.  The liquid remaining liquid is butter milk and you pour those off.  The solids are butter with no preservatives.

use heavy whipping cream instead of milk.....higher fat content, more butter.

I have never done this with whole milk.  I only use whipping cream for this project..  

BECAUSE, butter should go in a butter dish specific keeper.

At least a Tupperware butter keeper.

Plastic is tacky for tableware.  

Sometimes, I do what Jsharr is speaking of.  I have a leaf butter mold.  I add herbs and press into the mold.  They come out perfect little leaves.  Guests can spoon out some leaves for their bread.  It always impresses.

• Heart 1

Plastic is tacky for tableware.  

Sometimes, I do what Jsharr is speaking of.  I have a leaf butter mold.  I add herbs and press into the mold.  They come out perfect little leaves.  Guests can spoon out some leaves for their bread.  It always impresses.

Vegetarian butter!  yay!

I, too, have seen and experienced this "real butter" thing. I have never in my life ever seen nor heard of this thing called "Earth Balance"

therefore, I do not believe in Earth Balance.

I do believe in butter. It is made from milk. It is organic. How do you get more organic than milk from one of God's mammals, churned into butter?

• Hugs 1

Jsharr, no offense, but how do you afford real butter?

I think you have real butter confused with something you find at one of your seedy Dallas grocery marts.

Real butter is delivered to my doorstep each morning by poor farmers trying to survive the winter. I like to use the garden hose to ice over our porch and watch from our widow's walk

• 6 years later...
On 12/16/2013 at 8:32 AM, AirwickWithCheese said:

I do not want my butter choices limited or made for me.

Quality hosts serve real butter and in a way that says, help yourself to all the real butter you'd like. Not in a plastic container where people dip their spoons and God only knows what else when you're not watching them.

Real butter is showcased on the table and served with a knife.

post-57-0-59876300-1387200749.jpg

This is exactly true.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...which part ?

All of it.

Butter should be served from a butter dish (or a cow that has been doing jumping jacks for days), not in plastic or the waxy paper.  When genteel Greenville VIP’s like Cheese favor you with a visit, your domestic help should place butter in an appropriate vessel beforehand. 

• Heart 1

Not only do I not have a butter dish, but in my house moves I appear to have lost the cow creamer.  :(

I recall once running into my boss at the grocery store.  At the time, I had two bottles of wine and a cow creamer in my basket.  We chatted for a bit and then he asked if I'd be pouring my wine from the cow creamer.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

No, that is bad, then no one on the forum can visit you. 

One thing you could do prior to visits is to make a life size butter sculpture, those are impressive.

Photos: Looking back at past state fair butter sculptures | Madison.com  Recipes, Food and Cooking Tips | madison.com

...this is sound advice, of the sort to which I've become accustomed here. As an alternative in the shorter term, I think I shall imprint all my invitations to the genteel with "BYOB".