Those Canuck fans are really classy

Former member

WILMINGTON, Mass. -- Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic says he was verbally and physically attacked at a nightclub in his hometown of Vancouver on Saturday night after the Bruins' 6-2 loss to the Canucks at Rogers Arena.

Lucic addressed the matter with media following the Bruins' practice Monday morning at Ristuccia Arena and said he's pursuing legal action. He is in contact with Vancouver police.

Lucic, 25, said that he was attacked twice, once outside the nightclub and again inside. It was the same person both times, and Lucic said he did not know the man.

"There was no reason for him to punch me, but he did and that's all I can really say right now," Lucic said.

A bystander shot video of the incident, which has gone viral online and shows Lucic engaged in a verbal argument with someone.

"It's something I'm not proud of, but it was part of an unprovoked attack on Saturday night where I was punched in the face on two separate occasions -- like I said, unprovoked," Lucic said. "From this point forward, just exploring to pursue this in a legal manner, so that's probably as much as I can say right now.

"Like I said, I was a victim of the attack and did not engage in the attack, as you can see in the video. I showed restraint by not retaliating in a physical manner."

Lucic, Boston's top-line winger, also had some harsh comments about his hometown, as this isn't the first time he's had to deal with off-ice issues because he plays for the Bruins.

After Boston won the Stanley Cup by defeating the Canucks at Rogers Arena in 2011, Lucic's grandparents, parents and other family members were all harassed, he said, and the church his family belongs to was vandalized.

"That's one of the worst parts -- it's in my hometown -- and going back to the spray painting of the church and my grandparents, parents and family getting harassed during the finals against the Canucks in 2011, and now it's escalated to a point where I get attacked for minding my own business," he said.

"I have no reason left to defend my city and the people in my city. I'm disgusted and outraged that it had to come to something like that. As far as that goes, other than being at Rogers Arena, no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again."

When asked if, during the verbal attack, the man brought up the fact that he played for the Bruins, Lucic said: "I have no comment on that."

The Bruins had just completed a four-game trip and stayed the night in Vancouver before returning to Boston on Sunday.

"It sucks being in that situation, but then again you've got to take ownership of it and know it happened because you were in that situation," Lucic said. "We came off a good road trip and wanted to blow off some steam and have some fun, and unfortunately it had to end the way that it did. Hopefully it's not a distraction towards the team after today."

Because his family has been involved in off-ice situations, Lucic was asked what his parents thought of Saturday's incident.

"Just like any parent, they're concerned," Lucic said. "They obviously have my back no matter what the circumstances. They've seen and witnessed me out before, and they've seen how I act with a few drinks in me. I've been in downtown Vancouver I'd say 50 or 60 times and I've never even come close to an altercation. This one obviously ended in one."