Vehicle registration fees

Road Runner

I just re-registered my truck through the year 2017.  Per year the fee in VA is approx $40.  While at the DMV website, I just noticed that the state charges an additional $64 per year for a hybrid or electric vehicle.  I guess this is to make up for lost gas taxes, but what's next?  Charge more for high mileage vehicles?  Just doesn't seem right to me...   :(    

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/virginia-hybrid-fees_n_2727142.html

Street repairs are funded by tax dollars.  Tax dollars for streets come from fuel sales tax.  System was designed around all vehicles running on gasoline or diesel fuels and within certain fuel mileage / usage numbers in mind.

With vehicle mileage increasing and the influx of hybrids and electric vehicles, that model has to change and evolve or streets will fall into further disrepair than they already are.

Is it fair for those vehicle owners to use our streets free of charge, or at a vastly reduced rate?

Street repairs are funded by tax dollars.  Tax dollars for streets come from fuel sales tax.  System was designed around all vehicles running on gasoline or diesel fuels and within certain fuel mileage / usage numbers in mind.

With vehicle mileage increasing and the influx of hybrids and electric vehicles, that model has to change and evolve or streets will fall into further disrepair than they already are.

Is it fair for those vehicle owners to use our streets free of charge, or at a vastly reduced rate?

Yes and that's why we need a bike tax and runner tax, they get to use the streets for free and that complete bull shit.  This freaking hippy fuckers need to pay or get the hell of the street.

Is it fair for my gas guzzler to be charged more highway maintenance than a similar but high mileage gas vehicle?  Both vehicles use the same roads and require the same road repairs. 

Is it fair for my gas guzzler to be charged more highway maintenance than a similar but high mileage gas vehicle?  Both vehicles use the same roads and require the same road repairs. 

As I said, the model for funding roads will have to evolve as vehicles evolve.  Right now, we are consumers can choose what we want to drive, but we need to educate ourselves on the fees and taxes involved.  I think it is fair to charge one rate per gallon of gas for conventional vehicles and another rate for hybrids and yet another rate for electric vehicles.  I can see a day when fees are based off of vehicle usage and the vehicles report their mileage to the taxing authority automatically.

As I said, the model for funding roads will have to evolve as vehicles evolve.  Right now, we are consumers can choose what we want to drive, but we need to educate ourselves on the fees and taxes involved.  I think it is fair to charge one rate per gallon of gas for conventional vehicles and another rate for hybrids and yet another rate for electric vehicles.  I can see a day when fees are based off of vehicle usage and the vehicles report their mileage to the taxing authority automatically.

I can see a day when odometer fraud really jumps too.  I know my father would be ticked if that was in place, a couple years ago his Miata's odometer glitched and instantly jumped 80k miles.  I've been teasing him about it ever since because it destroyed the value of the car, not that he has plans on ever getting rid of it.

I can see a day when fees are based off of vehicle usage and the vehicles report their mileage to the taxing authority automatically.

I thought of this also.  I already have nanny devices in my vehicles that report my driving habits and mileage to my insurance company.  Might as well let the real big brother have access to the data as well.   :mellow:

I thought of this also.  I already have nanny devices in my vehicles that report my driving habits and mileage to my insurance company.  Might as well let the real big brother have access to the data as well.   :mellow:

Probably would be reported as part of your renewel, with every so many years it be required to have it actually checked.  Those data recorders that just plug in don't work on older vehicles.

I laugh at those who go bonkers that bicycle commuters don't have to pay fees to support roadwork. Because of all that hard wear and tear that the bicycles do compared to cars. I've had some fun conversations with some really ignorant people on that one.

That being said...if they wanted to start charging a nominal fee to register bikes for commuting, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

It is not my fault you do not know when to choose the correct situational currency, nor does your lack of discernment lessen the validity of my post.

So you're saying I should have offered to take the DMV lady into the backroom and screwed her silly?  She was kinda nasty.