Mac-n-cheese recipes

Former member

I don't have amounts, cause I am a feel kinda cook.  My routine for mac is as follows:

Heat oven to 350F

boil elbow mac, but pull it out quite al dente.  I boil enough to cover a 9x13 over an inch deep

Make a roux of 4 tbsp flour to 4 tbsp of butter.  

Whisk in 2 cups of milk (use warmed milk for better mixing...cold milk sometimes causes lumps with the roux) 

Add some cayenne pepper (about 1/8 or 1/4 tsp at most) add 1/2 tsp dry mustard

Add chunks/grated cheese and melt over light heat.  (I use a combo of one triangle of fontina, grated cheddar and a little parm)  The amount of cheese is a large pile.  2 cups maybe 3 (reserving a little for the top)

Pour the goop over the mac

coat the top of the whole mess with a little of the remaining cheese

Top the entire mess with panko bread crumbs

Bake till bubbly and browned

Optional note:  You can add minced onion and garlic that has been sauteed to the pan goop.  It adds a little something.  I like it, but not everyone is into the allium family.

Serve with some kind of vegetable for fiber to prevent colon blockage.  haha

I don't have amounts, cause I am a feel kinda cook. My routine for mac is as follows:

Heat oven to 350F
boil elbow mac, but pull it out quite al dente. I boil enough to cover a 9x13 about a couple inches deep.
Whisk in 2 cups of milk (use warmed milk for better mixing...cold milk sometimes causes lumps with the roux)
Add chunks/grated cheese and melt over light heat. (I use a combo of one triangle of fontina, grated cheddar and a little parm) The amount of cheese is a large pile. 2 cups maybe 3 (reserving a little for the top)

Optional note: You can add minced onion and garlic that has been sauteed to the pan goop. It adds a little something. I like it, but not everyone is into the allium family.

Serve with some kind of vegetable for fiber to prevent colon blockage. haha

Thanks for posting this again.

I've used this basic recipe a few times, but couldn't find the thread on the "other forum".

I don't have amounts, cause I am a feel kinda cook.  My routine for mac is as follows:

Heat oven to 350F

boil elbow mac, but pull it out quite al dente.  I boil enough to cover a 9x13 about a couple inches deep.

Add chunks/grated cheese and melt over light heat.  (I use a combo of one triangle of fontina, grated cheddar and a little parm)  The amount of cheese is a large pile.  2 cups maybe 3 (reserving a little for the top)

Optional note:  You can add minced onion and garlic that has been sauteed to the pan goop.  It adds a little something.  I like it, but not everyone is into the allium family.

For Kraft Mac and cheese:

Boils the macaroni until tender.  This take 5 or 10 minutes.

Drain macaroni.

Dump envelope orange-yellow chemical compound on macaroni.

Dump 1 or 2 glugs of milk on pile of macaroni and chemicals.

Stir.

Eat.

For Kraft Mac and cheese:

Boils the macaroni until tender.  This take 5 or 10 minutes.

Drain macaroni.

Dump envelope orange-yellow chemical compound on macaroni.

Dump 1 or 2 glugs of milk on pile of macaroni and chemicals.

Stir.

Eat.

Those chemical packets are excellent for popcorn.   :popcorn:   

I have pulled them out for than and reserved the noodles for another recipe.  Real cheese just doesn't stick so well.

Heat oven to 350F

boil elbow mac, but pull it out quite al dente.  I boil enough to cover a 9x13 over an inch deep

yup - going again to the holiday party for my garden club - and this has again been requested

Well.....most often I Make Kraft Mac & Cheese...Just Like Mr. SIlly...except I only make a portion of the package. :whistle:

However...somewhere I have a recipe for a 3 cheese Mac & Cheese that has Spinach in it...made it for one of my parties...it had yummy flavor...But a huge container of Mac & Cheese is not practical for 1 person.