Leather saddles

Page Turner

...one of the places I've bought stuff from before in France keeps sending me tempting e-mails about Berthoud leather saddles.  

I think I recall @onbike1939 going on and on and on about how swell these saddles are, and with the Euro at historic lows against the dollar, I'm feeling compelled to try one.

28043.jpg

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

But, can you ride in the rain with one?

Are you serious? :o

I live in Scotland and you ask me this. As long as you protect from rain when off the bike there's no problem. A plastic bag or a saddle cover which can be carried tucked under the seat is the answer. I've used leather saddles for nearly fifty years and have never had one ruined by the wet and this includes continental cycle-camping tours lasting three months and cycling every day without an incident. If one does become soaked then let it dry before using and things will be hunky-dory.

Have we now got a special relationship and will you consult me on everyone of your cycling issues? I'm so excited but I suppose it's no more than I deserve given my expertise and long experience. :)

5 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

Are you serious? :o

I live in Scotland and you ask me this. As long as you protect from rain when off the bike there's no problem. A plastic bag or a saddle cover which can be carried tucked under the seat is the answer. I've used leather saddles for nearly fifty years and have never had one ruined by the wet and this includes continental cycle-camping tours lasting three months and cycling every day without an incident. If one does become soaked then let it dry before using and things will be hunky-dory.

Have we now got a special relationship and will you consult me on everyone of your cycling issues? I'm so excited but I suppose it's no more than I deserve given my expertise and long experience. :)

...I shall hereby defer all cycling in crummy weather questions to you, sir. We don't really have weather here, it's more like the dry season alternates with wishing for some rain.

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I've avoided leather saddles because I presumed they melted in the rain.  I've had serious saddle issues since I've started riding.  Nothing seems to help.  Maybe I'll look at a leather one.

This is a problem for many riders and I sympathise. az's suggestion is a good one and his saddle while expensive is popular with many. If a leather saddle is found to be too hard then modifying it with a split sometimes makes all the difference. I've modified a few in this way including Brooks B17 Champion and Nidd saddles. Brooks make the Imperial saddle with the split but given that you seem to be more of a racing man rather than a tourist, the Anatomica may be more suited to you style of riding. It sometimes helps when beginning to use a leather saddle, to slacken-off the tension bolt so allowing the leather to flex and soften a little before tightening again when the saddle becomes more comfortable.

As another option I would have thought that this might suit your needs...and at a good price too.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s204p2669

• Heart 1

You're not going to be disappointed as the quality is superb. I have two (obviously) and just love them. Here's a video showing how they are made. I don't want to rain on your parade but shouldn't you be buying something a saddle a little more suited to your middle-age status......you know...one of those with a built-in defibrillator.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

but shouldn't you be buying something a saddle a little more suited to your middle-age status......you know...one of those with a built-in defibrillator.

...I saw a Youtube video how to do it on hooking up a stun gun to your saddle rails.  It  doubles as a security device, but also makes a handy defibrillator.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...initial impressions of the Sella Anatomica (without the cutout) are favorable.  They were on sale so I bought two.  Maybe 60 miles on one of them now, with no issues.

Going by past experience around the 75 miles mark these saddles will totally collapse leaving you impaled upon the seat-post....transforming you into a sort of mobile Shish Kebab.

Now you don't have to believe me but I know about these things.

...I bought on e of those fancy-schmancy Berthoud saddles, and it took almost a month to arrive.  Apparently they have to go via rowboat, or something.  I shall report on it in due course.

Interestingly, there were quite a few saddle manufacturers (some of them leather suspension designs) at the hand Made Bike show here today.  I will go back tomorrow with the camera.

• 5 months later...
On 2/27/2016 at 6:18 PM, Page Turner said:

...I bought on e of those fancy-schmancy Berthoud saddles, and it took almost a month to arrive.  Apparently they have to go via rowboat, or something.  I shall report on it in due course.

Interestingly, there were quite a few saddle manufacturers (some of them leather suspension designs) at the hand Made Bike show here today.  I will go back tomorrow with the camera.

I know it hasn't been two years but any comments?

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I know it hasn't been two years but any comments?

...works well once you get the angle set.  Still weighs a tonne, though, which is the only downside I can see. So I put it on a slightly more "substantial" bike, where weight was less of an issue. Not that I'm a weight weenie or anything, but when I see a leather brooks on some late 80's double butted, alloy and titanium wonder bike I find it jarring.

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...works well once you get the angle set.  Still weighs a tonne, though, which is the only downside I can see. So I put it on a slightly more "substantial" bike, where weight was less of an issue. Not that I'm a weight weenie or anything, but when I see a leather brooks on some late 80's double butted, alloy and titanium wonder bike I find it jarring.

I have a Ti framed Brooks Swallow that doesn't look too bad with said frames. 

Just now, Wilbur said:

I have a Ti framed Brooks Swallow that doesn't look too bad with said frames. 

...yeah, I forgot about those. :)  I think all my Brooks Pro's are on bikes that are pre- 1980 or were designed more as sport touring frames.  I found a Sella Italia Flite saddle for that Gios Compact (which is very light by mid-80's standards, when it was made) in my stash box of "stuff you know you will use someday, if you don't die first".  It has Ti rails and that swallow profile that they used on the Flite saddles.

I find those very comfy.

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2016 at 2:26 PM, Page Turner said:

...as an additional experiment, I bought two of the Sella Italia leather saddles without the cutout.  Not a a big cutout fan on leather suspension saddles.  Reviews in a year or two.

You mean Selle Anatomica?

I've had the cut out version, it's nothing like what you've had. The nose pivots, so the leather moves with you. The only downside is that they don't last as long as most saddles.

This is a video of the underside of the saddle being ridden.

I've heard many good reports on these saddles but I'm disappointed to hear about durability issues.

Now that I've sold all of my bikes apart from my two Moultons I'm using only two saddles...both Gilles Berthoud's. After so long off the bike my Tush still complains a little but luckily I possess immense amounts of moral character....but of course you already know this. :)

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

I've heard many good reports on these saddles but I'm disappointed to hear about durability issues.

Now that I've sold all of my bikes apart from my two Moultons I'm using only two saddles...both Gilles Berthoud's. After so long off the bike my Tush still complains a little but luckily I possess immense amounts of moral character....but of course you already know this. :)

...a pain in the ass by any other name is still a pain in the ass.:)

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 2:02 PM, Caretaker said:

You guys got a serious leather fetish.

Experience has taught us that it is difficult to beat a good leather saddle for all-day comfort and durability.They may be a little heavier to be sure but there's also the aesthetic element to consider which is important to the cognoscenti. :)