How many vegetarians and vegans do we have onboard?

Wilbur

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I would guess we have 15% vegetarian in our populous.

Not me.  I eat all the animals.  

I think it is around 5%.  Knowing what I know about human nature, the claimed percentage is probably a little higher.

I worked with a guy who seriously claimed he was a vegetarian but ate fish.  He wouldn't listen to anyone who told him fish was meat.  He was an ignorant bastard, for sure.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't understand why I get to live and the animal doesn't.  What makes me more valuable?  I don't think I could do it.

You are overthinking it, something that you probably wouldn't do if you had to feed yourself or others in a survival situation.  You get hungry enough to kill, you would.  

It always amazes me that some people fret over the slaughter of cattle or chickens for food.  There are a gazillion cows and chickens alive today only because we plan to eat them.  If we couldn't eat them, most of them would never be born.  Is it better to have lived and died for food or to have never been born at all?

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

It always amazes me that some people fret over the slaughter of cattle or chickens for food.  There are a gazillion cows and chickens alive today only because we plan to eat them.  If we couldn't eat them, most of them would never be born.  Is it better to have lived and died for food or to have never been born at all?

I'm not debating that.  I agree that is what we did, but I can't be the one with the axe.

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm not debating that.  I agree that is what we did, but I can't be the one with the axe.

Why?  You are commissioning a killing by eating them anyway, it seems pretty straightforward either way. 

I haven't done the slaughtering because I would puke.  I realize I am behind it either way, though.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Why?  You are commissioning a killing by eating them anyway, it seems pretty straightforward either way. 

I haven't done the slaughtering because I would puke.  I realize I am behind it either way, though.

I'm pretty sure I could eat human flesh if I had to.

I could eat cow everyday. Each January we do a fast that limits us to fruits, vegtables and legumes. By the end of the three week fast I feel so much better than before it. It's probably due to cutting out all sugars, which I don't eat much of anyway but it is in everything. I also usually drop 10-12 pounds during that three weeks. Now I want a cheeseburger.....

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, The Inedible Bulk said:

I subscribe to the theory that 2/3 of your plate should be veggies.  I agree with SW - if I had to kill my own meat, I probably would be vegetarian.

What a bunch of wussies.  My mother used to kill a couple chickens each week.  She would hang them on the clothes line by their feet and using a large knife, cut off their heads.  Much flapping and blood squirting out of the severed neck later, the fried chicken was delicious.

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

What a bunch of wussies.  My mother used to kill a couple chickens each week.  She would hang them on the clothes line by their feet and using a large knife, cut off their heads.  Much flapping and blood squirting out of the severed neck later, the fried chicken was delicious.

As a cow-worker used to say "I am from suburbia!"  :D  He said that as he was being arrested for drinking on the street in N'awlens. :yercrazy:

• Heart 1

We are mostly vegetarian.  Will eat the occasional serving of crab, maybe scallops.  If you served me meat, I would eat it without a fuss because I am polite.  I just don't want to touch or prepare it at my own house.  Occasionally, I will eat bacon at the diner.  Mr Aire likes cheeseburgers but not chicken or beef.  I am not sure what he thinks they are made of.

• Heart 2

On 1/29/2016 at 6:55 PM, The Inedible Bulk said:

I subscribe to the theory that 2/3 of your plate should be veggies.  I agree with SW - if I had to kill my own meat, I probably would be vegetarian.

That is where I am as well.  I will only eat what I am willing to kill.  For me, that is poultry and seafood.  I will eat beef or pork if served to me but beef and I do net get along.  It is a mutual thing. :)