Speaking of milk

Dirtyhip

58 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I drink it every morning.  Skim milk only.

We drink skim but I did read that because of the way they produce shim milk it contains a lot more sugar than 1% or 2%.

My parents made us drink milk every day and it always gave me stomach aches.They didn't believe me & forced me to drink a glass with dinner every day but I stopped drinking it in my early  teens and  I realized later on I was lactose intolerant. I still don't like milk and won't drink it straight but do put it in my oatmeal.   

44 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My parents made us drink milk every day and it always gave me stomach aches.They didn't believe me & forced me to drink a glass with dinner every day but I stopped drinking it in my early  teens and  I realized later on I was lactose intolerant. I still don't like milk and won't drink it straight but do put it in my oatmeal.   

Try goat milk. 

20 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

Cows milk is for calves, and it's a total fallacy that it's good for us, that's just what the dairy industry wants us to think - it actually depletes calcium from your bones.  

I remember reading that it was not really absorbed so did little good.

I only use milk on serial.  1 or 2% I am flexible.

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:
18 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I have multiple quote boxes again, oh well.  

I think the jury is still out on how much we need to worry about the calcium loss in bones due to milk.  Here are a few links.  Note:  The Web MD link doesn't even agree on that point.  One thing I know, I have healthy bones and so did my Grandmother.  Actually, no women in my family have osteoporosis.  We are all heavy milk drinkers.  From Web MD: " Robert Heaney, MD, a professor of medicine at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., who specializes in bone biology, also shrugs off dairy dissenters. "The reason why dairy products work is that they contain not only calcium and protein but also phosphorus,magnesium, vitamin D, potassium, and other things associated with good bone health"

http://osteoporosis.org.za/general/downloads/dairy.pdf

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/#calcium-from-milk

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-milk-bad-for-your-bones/

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/milk-for-your-bones

Without getting too wordy, the jury is still out on dairy. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Also Lactaid milk.  Supposed to be 100% milk without the lactose.  That's what their ad says.

41383090745.jpg

This is what WoWilbur always says to me as well.  Now, as an infant through 12 years of age, my parents forced milk on me and every time without fail, I was yakin on the porcelain phone.  The doc back then said, just keep giving it to him, he will adjust.  After that experience, I don't care if it is lactose free, the smell, the look, the taste takes me right back.

42 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

bottom line - we don't need it and the dairy industry in this country is cruel and unusual punishment on cows

Need?  Maybe not the milk, but the meat is very valuable for us as well as the leather.  Humans are omnivores, historically. Meat is a fantastic source of protein and B vitamins. 

Suzie, I'm sorry, but you will never win me over on the vegetarian/Vegan thing.   I was raised in a hunting family, and honestly, I feel that I don't consume that much meat.  Several days a week are vegetarian, but there is no way I could give it up forever as a lifestyle.  I did it for a couple of weeks and it was awful.   

BTW, my best friend in the world is a vegetarian.  She doesn't know what to do with me, either. :whistle:  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Need?  Maybe not the milk, but the meat is very valuable for us as well as the leather.  Humans are omnivores, historically. Meat is a fantastic source of protein and B vitamins. 

Suzie, I'm sorry, but you will never win me over on the vegetarian/Vegan thing.   I was raised in a hunting family, and honestly, I feel that I don't consume that much meat.  Several days a week are vegetarian, but there is no way I could give it up forever as a lifestyle.  I did it for a couple of weeks and it was awful.   

BTW, my best friend in the world is a vegetarian.  She doesn't know what to do with me, either. :whistle:  

this may be an area we never totally agree on, but one thing I do know about you DH is that you are mindful - and that makes all the difference

• Heart 2